Sonos configuration reset

• 4 April 2019
  • 9 replies

I've been having problems with my very old Sonos ZonePlayer 90 (10 years old) which is attached to a pair of powered speakers and also connected by wireless to a Play:1 speaker.

I've observed, now, two problems. First, it has happened twice that when I've woken up in the morning the Sonos ZP90 has lost all of it's configuration information and I have to re-config it, the wireless speaker, Radio stations, and the music library all over again. Second, the system occasionally experiences a state in which the directly-connected speakers do not play at all. This only happens when the wireless speaker and the directly-connected speaker are managed in the same room group. If I ungroup them, the directly-connect speaker will play again.

I strongly suspect that my ZP90 has entered a stage of increased senility (maybe the memory is shot or something). However, I'm mildly suspicious that a player software update was made available today, just when one of the resets mentioned above occurred. I would be happy to have more information or hear other opinions!!

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I've been having problems with my very old Sonos ZonePlayer 90 (10 years old) which is attached to a pair of powered speakers and also connected by wireless to a Play:1 speaker.

I've observed, now, two problems. First, it has happened twice that when I've woken up in the morning the Sonos ZP90 has lost all of it's configuration information and I have to re-config it, the wireless speaker, Radio stations, and the music library all over again.

Can you clarify what you mean by losing it's configuration? Are you able to still see the ZP90 from within the Sonos app, or did it disappear? Is your play:1 missing as well? If both are missing, why do you think the problem soley lies with the ZP90? Is the ZP90 wired to your router? Although each device stores your configuration separately, you shouldn't need to re-enter information if one speaker loses data somehow. It would just get the configuration from the other device.

Second, the system occasionally experiences a state in which the directly-connected speakers do not play at all. This only happens when the wireless speaker and the directly-connected speaker are managed in the same room group. If I ungroup them, the directly-connect speaker will play again.

I strongly suspect that my ZP90 has entered a stage of increased senility (maybe the memory is shot or something). However, I'm mildly suspicious that a player software update was made available today, just when one of the resets mentioned above occurred. I would be happy to have more information or hear other opinions!!

Absolutely possible. I'm thinking there is problem with it's networking rather than memory, but not sure. I would submit a diagnostic and post the number here, for Sonos staff to look at.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US
When I accessed Sonos the morning, on either iPad or Android apps, it acted as if no Sonos elements were present. The only menu option was to add a "new" Sonos component. I never use my Play:1 speaker from anything other than the ZP90 box, and didn't even know it was possible to do otherwise.

The ZP90 is not wired to the router. Neither is the Play:1.

I submitted diagnostic # 227929050. However, the system seems to be functioning normally now.
When the Sonos system reboots after a software update, there's always a moment when the system is non-responsive, as it finishes booting back up, and loading the previous state. I see this all the time, as I'm quite impatient. But if I wait a minute, everything repopulates.

If it's working normally now, I have to wonder if this wasn't the case for you as well?
What you (Bruce) say is possible. I notice that the system claims it did an update at roughly the time I started to use it. I do wonder, though, why system updates are happening at 9am? That would be midnight Pacific time. Is that it? (My system claims to know its GMT+1 time zone.)
My configuration continues to encounter problems in which the speakers directly attached to my ZP90 drop out (but remote ones do not) when both are part of a group (and only when they are part of a group). This behavior is much too deterministic to be random memory failure. And it's not likely to be a wifi failure either because the ZP90 is happily talking to network music sources and also sending a music stream to the Play:1. It's the directly connected speakers that are not working.

I've submitted report 1928589737 of this condition in progress.

I did notice a surprising bit. We use two different controllers: an iPad and an Android. These two controllers claim to be using different IP addresses for an "associatedZP". The Android uses the ZP90 and the iPad uses the Play:1. I have not figured out how to change this setting, although I will try by resetting the iPad controller with the Play:1 unplugged.

I can imagine that bad things might happen if two different associatedZPs think they control the current state of what's playing, even if the two controllers are not active at the same time.
We use two different controllers: an iPad and an Android. These two controllers claim to be using different IP addresses for an "associatedZP". The Android uses the ZP90 and the iPad uses the Play:1. I have not figured out how to change this setting, although I will try by resetting the iPad controller with the Play:1 unplugged.

I can imagine that bad things might happen if two different associatedZPs think they control the current state of what's playing, even if the two controllers are not active at the same time.
Ignore it. The AssociatedZP is merely the player from which the controller gets information about the system. (It's also the player via which the controller fetches local library album art, but this is a bit of a side issue.)

The AssociatedZP is the first player to respond to the discovery query when the controller starts. It will change from time to time.

Note that the controller talks directly to the player it's actually controlling at any instant, not via the AssociatedZP.

the ZP90 is happily talking to network music sources and also sending a music stream to the Play:1. It's the directly connected speakers that are not working
Does this behaviour change, depending on whether the ZP90 or the Play:1 is the first player in the group? The starting player is the Group Coordinator, responsible for fetching the music and sending to other group members.
I didn't know that there were any semantics in the ordering of players in a group, or that I could effect that ordering. I see now that I can, by choosing which player to group first. I will keep track and report back.

Two more questions:

1) You say that "the starting player is the Group Coordinator". What is the starting player? The first in a group?
2) Is group information replicated between the players? Or is this information fetched from the associatedZP (potentially a bother if the controllers consult/configure different ones)? I'm wondering if the situation I observed could be caused by inconsistency between group orderings in my two players.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Flash memory has a finite lifetime and a finite number of writes, and the older a device, the more the chance of it eventually failing. After an update it gets re-written a lot, so that is a good time for failure, if it is at the end of its life. Sonos might be able to tell you if you send them a diagnostic # after the ZP90 is in a bad state.
1) You say that "the starting player is the Group Coordinator". What is the starting player? The first in a group?Yes. The one whose 'Group' button you hit in order to add further players.

2) Is group information replicated between the players? Or is this information fetched from the associatedZP (potentially a bother if the controllers consult/configure different ones)? I'm wondering if the situation I observed could be caused by inconsistency between group orderings in my two players.
I believe the group information comes via the AssociatedZP. But it's impossible for two controllers to have different impressions of the group configuration. There can be only one Group Coordinator in any group. It plays the source stream. Other group members effectively play from the Group Coordinator.