Question

Sonos can't connect to Spotify anylonger

• 13 December 2016
  • 14 replies

Hi, I have serious troubles with my Sonos Android app since a few says ago. It cannot connect to Spotify anymore. I've tried everything (re-installing the app, re-authorize the Spotify account, re-install the speakers (2 SONOS Play:1 and one PLAYBAR) but still the player stops working and I get the error message "Cannot connect to Spotify". I know that the Wifi is working, that the spotify account is okay and I can use the app to change into TV-mode but that's it. Any ideas what could be going on?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, I have serious troubles with my Sonos Android app since a few says ago. It cannot connect to Spotify anymore. I've tried everything (re-installing the app, re-authorize the Spotify account, re-install the speakers (2 SONOS Play:1 and one PLAYBAR) but still the player stops working and I get the error message "Cannot connect to Spotify". I know that the Wifi is working, that the spotify account is okay and I can use the app to change into TV-mode but that's it. Any ideas what could be going on?

Hi Johanna_O,

Mind sending in a diagnostic report from your system? Reply with the confirmation number and I'll take a look.
Hi Jeff,
Sorry for not replying earlier but I've been on vacation and away from my system. Just sent a report with the number 6983294. It's really strange, it worked fine yesterday and today up until one point when it suddenly couldn't connect to Spotify anymore. I reinstalled my spotify account in the SONOS app but nothing seems to work. The only thing I know is that the problems started after I installed a beta version of the app. I'm back with the app-store version now but the problem is still lingering on.
/Johanna
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff,
Sorry for not replying earlier but I've been on vacation and away from my system. Just sent a report with the number 6983294. It's really strange, it worked fine yesterday and today up until one point when it suddenly couldn't connect to Spotify anymore. I reinstalled my spotify account in the SONOS app but nothing seems to work. The only thing I know is that the problems started after I installed a beta version of the app. I'm back with the app-store version now but the problem is still lingering on.
/Johanna

Thanks for the report. Please reboot each of your Sonos units by removing them from power for ten seconds and plugging them back in. Once they are back online, please test out Spotify and if any issues continue, send in a new diagnostic report and reply with the number.
Hi again,
I tried this and reinstalled the app, reconnected the bridge and it still doesn't work. Sometimes I get the error code 1002 and sometimes it only says that it can't connect to spotify which is odd since my compute as well as my phone works with spotify (same wifi). The number of the new report is 6986267.
I lost the ability to connect to Sonos from my Spotify app on my iPhone but I Fixed IT! I powered down my cable modem and my router. Powered up first the modem then the router. Once they were fully working I tried to connect to my Playbar from the Spotify app on my iphone and VOILA, it worked again. No clue why.
Since a number of days I have similar issues. Spotify and Sonos work on their own. When I want to use Spotify thriugh Sonos or connect to Sonos via Spotify I get (Unable to play xxxxxx connection to spotify was lost). Just sent in diagnostics with number 7024136
Same issue as Wim W and Joahanna_O. Diagnostic report : 7024204. How is it possible to rely on such product ?
Solved issue by: 1) Closing all Apps 2) Powering down all Sonos elements 3) Powering down modem & router 4) Powering up modem & router 5) Powering up all Sonos elements 6) Staring up App. Now I can once more play Spotify from Sonos App.
Same problem here. Just started after I updated my wife's iPhone app. Don't know if that is related.

Diagnostic 7024248.

Help please!
Apparently fixed following Wim W's process. We will see if this sticks.
Yes I too have been struggling with Spotify ever since the Dec update. Lots of work-arounds, powering downs, and app reinstalls. Today is a good day...seems to be connecting! But it's a crap-shoot Sonos so I hope the bugs in this shaky Spotify interface get resolved with the next update.

QUESTION I'm not finding a recent answer on: does a multi-unit Sonos system with a Boost run better off a 2.4ghz or 5ghz wireless network?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

QUESTION I'm not finding a recent answer on: does a multi-unit Sonos system with a Boost run better off a 2.4ghz or 5ghz wireless network?

Not sure I understand specifically what you are asking, but perhaps I'll take a shot at describing my experience with the Boost and the environment and if this doesn't hit your question, perhaps a further clarification may help me...

When you plug in any Sonos product to your network router, you enable the Sonos system to take all of the wireless communication they require onto their own mesh network that the devices create (called "SonosNet - and referred to as a "Boost setup" on here since that is what the Boost enables.) They then draw all internet communication through the one physically connected device. The Boost is a relatively simple networking device that essentially enables this mesh network without needing a speaker sitting physically closer/connected to the router (providing the networking ability without the costs of the speaker, amp, etc).

So... when you set up a boost, only your controllers are connecting to the router over 2.4 or 5Ghz wifi ... The SonosNet connected products use 2.4Ghz (and you can set what wifi channel this is set to use to manage noise from neighbouring networks and your own 2.4 wifi router channel) and a Playbar 5.1 bonded set of speakers communicate only amongst themselves on 5Ghz to get the improved speed available to minimize lag for video lip-sync.

So, aside from the 5.1 set-ups, Sonos Products communicate over 2.4Ghz networks.

For the purposes of connecting a controller - Assuming a boost/physical connection to the router, either 2.4 or 5 should be perfectly ok since there isn't much data flowing - the controller simply tells the Sonos products where they should go to get the audio you want them to play... it does not 'push' the audio to them like a bluetooth player.... Now, If you are telling the Sonos products to go get music that is on a computer (e.g. laptop) library that is connected to the router via wifi - in a boost set-up, as long as the library is connected without noise and delay, there shouldn't be a problem and again 2.4 or 5G should be fast enough....

After all that, I'm still not sure I provided information to help with your question, but hopefully this clarifies things a bit for you?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I will also note that many of the challenges people post on this thread as being a Sonos/Spotify issue are really issues derived from network congestion, wifi signal noise, interference from nearby wifi devices and networks, duplicate IP addresses being handed out by a router, ISP speed/quality/latency, and really have nothing to do with Sonos' tools or the Spotify streaming service.
I had the same issues for a long while, Would play fine for a while then 'lose connection'. I tried hard wiring to internet, changing router, uninstallaing ect and all to no avail. Even streaming through spotify app would work for a while the the dreaded "connection to spotify was lost" message. I assumed it was my rather poor internet provider and line speed but it got to the point of being unacceptable and pointless owning a system that was so unreliable. Spotify would work fine on its own through my phone but just not via sonos.

I eventually tried using Apple music instead of spotify to see if there was a difference, they had a 3 month free trial, and voila not had a drop out since, that was over a month ago. Cancelled spotify now. I preferred spotify as the user interface was a bit better but for the grief it was causing it was the easier option to jump across to apple. I think this kind of proves the fault lies with spotify/sonos interface, or at least in my case it did.