Answered

Sonos Bridge Not Working

I have three Sonos Play 3 speakers and a Sonos Bridge. The system is 3 or 4 years old. The bridge stopped working; the speakers seem to have power but the bridge appears to be dead. No lights; just doesn't seem to turn on. Is there a way to confirm whether the bridge is working and if I need a new bridge what should I purchase. I looked at available products and it seems that the bridge is no longer available, but it can be purchased on Amazon.
icon

Best answer by ratty 17 July 2018, 17:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

The BRIDGE power supply has probably failed. You can get compatible replacements on Amazon if you want.

But do you really need the BRIDGE any more? The players can work directly off your router's WiFi if you have decent coverage. Wire one of the PLAY:3s to the router in place of the BRIDGE. Power it up, wait a few minutes, and check that all the speakers appear in the controller. Then go to Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup and enter your WiFi details. You can then unwire the PLAY:3 and put it back where it came from. Give the system a couple of minutes to flip over to the WiFi.
So basically if I have this correct: there is NO REASON for the Bridge any longer? ALL my Sonos Players (and I have 5) will continue to work via WiFi and the Bridge is obsolete? What was the purpose of the Bridge in the first place?
Other than getting an error message from Sirius that it's limiting playback in multiple rooms, disconnecting the Bridge seems to have worked and my players are working. Thanks!!!
What was the purpose of the Bridge in the first place?
Sonos' original incarnation only worked in SonosNet mode, with at least one wired component. The ability to attach directly to a WiFi has been available more recently.

Bridge was a cost-effective way to wire a component if it wasn't convenient to wire a player. Boost subsequently replaced Bridge. SonosNet mode remains the best option for larger systems.
And the bridge remains a viable alternative for extending the reach of your SonosNet.
Bridge is obviously still supported, but is rather deprecated by Sonos these days. It's old wireless tech, i.e. SonosNet 1.0.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I wouldn't say no to a Bridge off ebay for a great price, a Boost is a better option from the networking side but a Play 1 is another choice at a good price if you can use a speaker in the location you were thinking of the Bridge/Boost.

I sure wouldn't toss a Bridge just because the power supply died, replacements are cheap.
I would no longer favour a Bridge (and I have at least five) despite the cheap replacement PSUs. Old wireless tech, and they consume an inordinate amount of power for what they do, almost twice as much as Boost.
Ratty - thank YOU for your help as well. Truly thankful for the audiophile and electronic expertise out there! I hate electronics (I love them when they work, but I hate them when they don't). Cheers, all!
Ratty, Think my Bridge had died as well! Many THANKS for your Advise! Am able to play music now again!
THANK U, THANK U, THANK U!!! ;):D:D
Thanks for this. I disconnected the Bridge and connected my Play:3 to the router. All speakers appeared in controller. But once I unplugged from router and put the speaker back, Sonos app did not connect although I am connected to WiFi. What did I do wrong? Thanks.

“But do you really need the BRIDGE any more? The players can work directly off your router's WiFi if you have decent coverage. Wire one of the PLAY:3s to the router in place of the BRIDGE. Power it up, wait a few minutes, and check that all the speakers appear in the controller. Then go to Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup and enter your WiFi details. You can then unwire the PLAY:3 and put it back where it came from. Give the system a couple of minutes to flip over to the WiFi”
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Did you set up the WiFi credentials in your Sonos while you had it wired? What does the About My Sonos screen show for your WM: info?
Stanley - that worked. Thank you.