Answered

Sonos Boost not helping, only making it worse...

• 4 February 2019
  • 4 replies

Hi!

I have 2 ones and 2 play 1. Two of them are grouped in my bedroom and the other two are placed in my bathroom and kitchen. I had some troubles with lag in the app, the volume didn’t really follow my command when increasing/decreasing so I thought to myself “maybe I should buy a boost!”

I bought one and after installing it the app worked better. However(!), It looks like all rooms are playing but the sound disappears for a few seconds in my bathroom and bedroom (which are the furthest away from my router and boost) and then returns for a limited time then disappears again and again and again... When I un-group the rooms and play in just one or 2 rooms it works perfectly but it can’t seem to handle 3, which is REALLY odd?

Here is what I’ve tried:
I’ve tried changing the channel and no one is better than the other. I have around 50mb/sec in my bedroom/bathroom and a solid network. I’ve removed the boost now and the music streams fluently no problem. But the app seems a bit slower again.

What are your recommendations? Why isn’t the boost helping? And how can I fix this?

Sincerely,
A big Sonos fan
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 5 February 2019, 17:51

Thank you! I installed the boost again and having the same problem.

As soon as I experienced again I ran a diagnostic report. Here is the number: 307508486.

Thank you for the help!

Smilja's advice is good. I also notice that there is some wireless interference causing your Boost to have a hard time communicating with your Sonos speakers. How close if your Boost to your router? Are there any other wireless devices close by? Try keeping at least a couple feet in between your Boost and any other electronics and see if that helps.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi!

I have 2 ones and 2 play 1. Two of them are grouped in my bedroom and the other two are placed in my bathroom and kitchen. I had some troubles with lag in the app, the volume didn’t really follow my command when increasing/decreasing so I thought to myself “maybe I should buy a boost!”

I bought one and after installing it the app worked better. However(!), It looks like all rooms are playing but the sound disappears for a few seconds in my bathroom and bedroom (which are the furthest away from my router and boost) and then returns for a limited time then disappears again and again and again... When I un-group the rooms and play in just one or 2 rooms it works perfectly but it can’t seem to handle 3, which is REALLY odd?

Here is what I’ve tried:
I’ve tried changing the channel and no one is better than the other. I have around 50mb/sec in my bedroom/bathroom and a solid network. I’ve removed the boost now and the music streams fluently no problem. But the app seems a bit slower again.

What are your recommendations? Why isn’t the boost helping? And how can I fix this?

Sincerely,
A big Sonos fan

Hi there,

Welcome to the community. It sounds like there is some interference between your home network and the Sonos mesh network. This could cause latency in control like you've described. Normally, having your Sonos speakers connect to your router's wireless instead would help. This makes me think that there is another factor in play. Perhaps another nearby network running on the same wireless channel as your own, or a different sort of network issue.

Please reproduce the issue, then submit a diagnostic report. If you reply here with the confirmation number, I can take a look for you.

As soon as I experienced again I ran a diagnostic report. Here is the number: 307508486.

Thank you for the help!
Did you remove the WiFi password from your Sonos system after switching over to SonosNet?

Sonos app for iOS or Android: From the More menu, tap Settings > Advanced Settings > Wireless Setup. On the Wireless Setup screen, click the button that says "Reset". Then click "Done" on the next screen.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thank you for the help!

Smilja's advice is good. I also notice that there is some wireless interference causing your Boost to have a hard time communicating with your Sonos speakers. How close if your Boost to your router? Are there any other wireless devices close by? Try keeping at least a couple feet in between your Boost and any other electronics and see if that helps.