Question

Sonos Boost Issues

• 18 May 2017
  • 5 replies

I ordered a Boost thinking that it would help separate my Sonos network from my WiFi network, but the minute I plugged it in and attached it to my router, pretty much everything went haywire. My WiFi wouldn't work on any of my computers (Mac), and all the speakers and components I have wouldn't group (in party mode), amongst other issues. Here's the thing, I have two Connects, and seven PLAY:1's in a three room apartment. Do I really need a Boost in the first place? Now I'm wondering if it's really needed, or if I'm doing something totally wrong. Once I took the Boost out, everything is now fine. There are moments where my network cuts in and out (because my WiFi is fairly active), hence why I thought getting Boost might be helpful. But I have a variety of components as it is, so again curious if I even need one - or what I'm doing wrong from an installation standpoint...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

You mean things went bad immediately after you plugged it in and powered it up? Did you even get so far as to add it to the system via Settings/Add a BOOST or BRIDGE?

In any case after adding a BOOST you should leave the system alone for a few minutes, for the units to switch over to SonosNet operation. I assume you don't have another Sonos unit wired already.
A few things about the installation. I didn't add it initially by just adding a Boost or Bridge (which I should of done, but was unaware of it). I ended up unplugging all my units first so the Boost would initialize before everything else, then was going to add each system afterwards. So from there everything went nuts. Then I unplugged the Boost and then everything worked fine, then tried it via Settings / Adding a Boost or Bridge, and then the Connect (which was the first unit I installed when I got Sonos), wouldn't group with any other unit. And when looking at my Sonos app on a Macbook Pro and my iMac - they both showed separate rooms of speakers as opposed to all of them, which was really odd (if that makes any sense). I've also read that the Bridge shouldn't be near the Router? At least 3 feet away? Can I also wire the Boost to the Router and to the Connect? They are both nearby. The Boost was right next to my Router, hence the possibility of my WiFi not working.

After all this has cooled down after a day or so, I will try it again by adding the Bridge while everything is still intact.

Thanks for your response!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'm far from a Sonos expert, I haven't been digging into the system's operation for very long even though I've had Sonos gear for many years now but I'll venture this information.

I can't say you needed the Boost or not, I thought I might need one here and decided I'd rather spend the $100 than the time it would take to try and understand my Sonos gear better. Adding the Boost did make some improvement in my signal strengths but apparently they were not my problem in the first place. I'm not unhappy with the Boost and it is happily running in a more central location.

The Boost shouldn't be near any WiFi device from both my reading and experience. I found that my system is happier with about four feet between devices, a WiFi AP, Boost, ZP-80 in my case. I tried that distance because it is how my shelving works out, having several side-by-side wasn't so good, no clue to distances from inches to the four feet though. Even with the Boost/ZP on channel 1 and the AP on 6 or 11, I still saw an impact in the diagnostic info. A plain router shouldn't be an issue unless it also contains a WiFi Access Point.

Wiring any one component puts your Sonos gear into a different networking mode that using all Sonos devices over WiFi, connecting more than one via Ethernet doesn't seem to be a problem unless your network switches have issues with Spanning Tree, https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-and-the-spanning-tree-protocol-16973/index1.html

In my case I have the Boost, two ZP-80s and occasionally a Play 3 wired, that has not caused me any issues at this point and from what I have been told will reduce my WiFi traffic a bit for the wired players.

Maybe add a wired connection to your Connect to start with, then clean out the WiFi information to get a clean Sonosnet setup, then add the Boost? If you don't add the Boost to your old setup you may have to redo a lot of your configuration as you move components to the new Boost network.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4284/kw/wifi/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ5Mzc2NTU2MS9zaWQvZlVYMzRiYTVkME5ObDVrSWVhUm1qSGJqU0tnQW15RER5YmxzWkRMbXhIcFBmR0g0UXE3UExObyU3RVdlcmp6WFV1UTltczlITzNqZTA3TjZYUFljMGdtVXVhazFkTiU3RVVFVzQ4N0pPaXoxeVkyb2JPJTdFR1R6VGxSNjNRJTIxJTIx
A few things about the installation. I didn't add it initially by just adding a Boost or Bridge (which I should of done, but was unaware of it). I ended up unplugging all my units first so the Boost would initialize before everything else, then was going to add each system afterwards. So from there everything went nuts. Then I unplugged the Boost and then everything worked fine, then tried it via Settings / Adding a Boost or Bridge, and then the Connect (which was the first unit I installed when I got Sonos), wouldn't group with any other unit. And when looking at my Sonos app on a Macbook Pro and my iMac - they both showed separate rooms of speakers as opposed to all of them, which was really odd (if that makes any sense).
It sounds like you started from a BOOST which hadn't been added to the system first. It therefore created a new system. You then added one or more players to it. This would be why some units show on the Macbook and the rest on the iMac. You'd have two separate Sonos systems.

Give Sonos Support a call. They can walk you through factory resetting some of the units and re-assembling them all into a single system.
Hey guys, thanks for the responses, much appreciated! I'm sure all this info will definitely help when attempting a reinstall. Thanks again!