Question

Sonos Boost issue with surrounds

• 22 April 2019
  • 1 reply

I have recently gotten into the sonos community and have purchased the following:

Playbar
Connect
Play:1 (4)
Boost

I purchased the boost because my playbar which was hardwired to my router wasn’t creating the sonos net network. I also tried hooking up a pair of play 1s to it to no avail.

I purchased the boost and was able to get the surrounds working but now they occasionally cut in and out. It doesn’t seem to affect the playbar’s audio, but I does drop every once and a while and cut fully over to playbar only for a few seconds before picking up again.

All of this equipment is in my family room so nothing is too far away.

Any thoughts or things to try?

Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Welcome to the community.

I think there's some misunderstanding on how the system works. The PLAYBAR should be creating a 5Ghz network (that you can't see) that the surround speakers and SUB should be connecting to. It should also be creating the SonosNet network (on 2.4Ghz channel) for any other "rooms" to connect to as needed, for streaming music, etc.

So it's curious as to why adding a BOOST would make any changes to your situation. If I may ask some questions:

1) What devices do you have wired to your router with an ethernet cable?
2) When you open up "About My Sonos System", what appears in each speaker's description, WM:0 WM:1, or WM:2?
3) Have you read the wifi interference FAQ? I'm thinking that there's some possibility here that this is your issue.
4) Do you know what channel your router is using for your wifi?
5) Do you know what channel the SonosNet system is using?

Hopefully, this will point you in some direction, but if it doesn't help, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of recreating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. I tend to suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.