Answered

Sonos being very sensitive to anything I do on my Wifi Network

• 8 September 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge
I have a Sonos 5.1 system consisting of a Playbase, 2 Play 1's and a sub, I also introduced a sonos boost because my the sound kept jittering. I have quite a number of wireless and wired devices, however I do have Netgear Orbi mesh routers dotted around my house which are fantastic. My devices are all showing 100% connectivity, I have chosen a channel that wasnt used in or around my house, although I have also had it set to auto.

The thing is that if I scan for something or try and control something then my sonos surrounds will drop out and the music will be out of sync, I dont know why as all the speakers are in the same room and wireless quality is very good if not excellent, I also have a boost so surely the sonos system should have its own special wifi space?

Everything was all great for almost a year until a few weeks ago, I am not aware of anything that has changed in my setup, because I would have made said chance, now and then music will be playing and the play 1 next to where I usually sit will drop out and come back...

Would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Mark
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 8 September 2018, 21:53

I've found that putting my Sonos (wired Boost, multiple other wired units and a few Wireless) on a second LAN segment with all my other WiFi devices works pretty well. If you split your Sonos network off from the network your controllers connect to you'll possibly have to be tweaking firewall rules to get things working. I have one Windows box that is powered up occasionally and I find it less hassle to move the Ethernet plug from LAN to LAN as needed rather than fiddling the firewall.

I had my home WiFi fairly well saturated with six streaming HD cameras at high frame rates for a test, it hit 70% at times and my Sonos still played happily on the Boost network, the controllers on the home WiFi were very sluggish as far as responses and screen updates went. I was seeing huge numbers of dropped packets, re-transmissions and the like on the home WiFi so that was as expected.

With a lot of devices you may be seeing IP assignment issues too, I found my Sonos got a lot more stable once I assigned static/reserved IP addresses to it. Didn't dig out the underlying issue but it seemed to be related to the DHCP server handing out changing addresses and the Sonos mesh not picking up on it instantly.

If you need a new toy I can recommend the Ubiquity access points and CloudKey controller, the pair gives me a lot more tools to evaluate my local RF environment and just what is going on on the home WiFi.

Switching to a more robust and featured router can be a big help too, in my case the tools in pfSense (free) are great and their add-on packages add a lot of monitoring abilities that you don't get in home routers even expensive ones.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
When you added your Boost did you remove the home WiFi network access credentials? Leaving them in in Boost mode can cause odd issues.

Best to lock both your home WiFi and your Boost network to specific channels, auto mode on the home network can end up with it sitting on top od the Sonos network if the router scans at a time your Sonos gear is idle. Use a WiFi scanner app to find the two best channels.

Since WiFi is a shared resource changes made by your neighbors can impact your system, not just changes you have made.

You can check your Network Matrix and look for interference or signal issues and see if they can be minimized.

Next time it happens submit a diagnostic (under settings) and post the ID number here so Sonos staff can look at your system internals.
Badge
Thanks Stanley_4, I will take a look at that based on your advice, I am pretty tech savy, having been in IT for over 25 years, so not really much I cant deal with, however when it comes to stuff like this, even I struggle, but I think its because I have so many devices they are all fighting for bandwidth and perhaps I might even need to look at creating separate vLans for Sonos and then even my Hue lights and perhaps my ALexa devices... I could go one....

Thanks again my good man, will look at some options and come back to you.

Cheers

Mark

When you added your Boost did you remove the home WiFi network access credentials? Leaving them in in Boost mode can cause odd issues.

Best to lock both your home WiFi and your Boost network to specific channels, auto mode on the home network can end up with it sitting on top od the Sonos network if the router scans at a time your Sonos gear is idle. Use a WiFi scanner app to find the two best channels.

Since WiFi is a shared resource changes made by your neighbors can impact your system, not just changes you have made.

You can check your Network Matrix and look for interference or signal issues and see if they can be minimized.

Next time it happens submit a diagnostic (under settings) and post the ID number here so Sonos staff can look at your system internals.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I've found that putting my Sonos (wired Boost, multiple other wired units and a few Wireless) on a second LAN segment with all my other WiFi devices works pretty well. If you split your Sonos network off from the network your controllers connect to you'll possibly have to be tweaking firewall rules to get things working. I have one Windows box that is powered up occasionally and I find it less hassle to move the Ethernet plug from LAN to LAN as needed rather than fiddling the firewall.

I had my home WiFi fairly well saturated with six streaming HD cameras at high frame rates for a test, it hit 70% at times and my Sonos still played happily on the Boost network, the controllers on the home WiFi were very sluggish as far as responses and screen updates went. I was seeing huge numbers of dropped packets, re-transmissions and the like on the home WiFi so that was as expected.

With a lot of devices you may be seeing IP assignment issues too, I found my Sonos got a lot more stable once I assigned static/reserved IP addresses to it. Didn't dig out the underlying issue but it seemed to be related to the DHCP server handing out changing addresses and the Sonos mesh not picking up on it instantly.

If you need a new toy I can recommend the Ubiquity access points and CloudKey controller, the pair gives me a lot more tools to evaluate my local RF environment and just what is going on on the home WiFi.

Switching to a more robust and featured router can be a big help too, in my case the tools in pfSense (free) are great and their add-on packages add a lot of monitoring abilities that you don't get in home routers even expensive ones.
Badge
Hi Stanley_4,

When you say a second LAN segment, are you saying a vLAN? what I have is basically a flat network with regards to routers and bridges. I have a BT Home Hub which gives me my broadband, I have BT TV connected to the Home Hub as it needs it for multicast. I then have an Xbox one, that's also plug directly into the BT box, for the same reason, I have a Nvidia Shield box also direct into my Netgear Orbi Master router, I have 2 satellites, one in a guest room and one in my master bedroom, they both report good signal, all devices are showing 100% signal.

My Sonos system is a playbase under my tv, I have a switch that has the HDMI 4 (ARC) coming from my TV into the switch port out, then my BT TV Box as HDMI 1, Nvidia Shield HDMI 2 and an Xbox One HDMI 3.

When I am watching TV with the Sony TV, HDMI switch, Sonos Playbase, Sub and 2 Play 1's all is good, I goto channel 390 (H2 HD) and Sonos app reports a Dolby 5.1 signal) all good... If I decide to play Spotify music to the Lounge which is what I have it set up as, its all good until I do something else, my surrounds will drop out for a split second, then come back, I didn't have that issue until recently, but I didn't change anything. I reverted everything back to my BT homehub with basic 2.4MHZ and switched off my Orbi router and Sats, then added it and it was fine, but I cant understand why this is now an issue because the Orbi Mesh really does give me great signal as Ive checked it. So in desperation I went and purchased a Sonos Boost, that seemed to work at first, but I still get drop outs, I just don't get it, my Wifi is showing excellent signal on all my devices, yet as soon as I do something intensive, my Sonos surrounds drop out even though they should be fine as I have a sonos boost.

I am good with tech, but even this is beating me....

Mark
Badge
Ive submitted a diag 646837871 with my setup.
Badge
One other thing, I tried to setup the wifi settings un the Sonos app and it times out. I have factory reset all speakers and started from scratch, still the same issue.
Badge
I just don't expect this kind of system for the price to have this issue especially when I invested in additional hardware to create a mesh network across my house, instead of just using the BT Home bub which I have the wifi disabled so the Netgear handles the DHCP for all other devices and pushes everything to the BT Hub as per the recommended setup.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I was thinking more of a real second LAN, so that there was no data sharing or contention on the Ethernet port to the first LAN. There is some discussion of VLANs around here but I don't see an advantage to them in my situation so I haven't followed that in detail.

Once you go to a mesh for your home WiFi things get interesting, I've noticed Sonos recommending putting all your mesh devices on the same channel if you are using standard mode. While I don't do a mesh here it doesn't seem like the best idea to have it all on one channel from a non-Sonos standpoint. If I did one I'd put Sonos in boost Mode on one channel and my Home WiFi on the other two, balancing the signal footprint as well as I could.

The surrounds are on 5 GHz for group communications so the drop-out only there isn't likely to be related to your 2.4 GHz SonosNet, Boost or home WiFi.

I'm hoping the diagnostic shows something when Sonos looks at it, I'm not having any great ideas.