Answered

Sonos beam volume inconsistent

• 3 April 2019
  • 1 reply

I have a Sonos beam with 2 Sonos ones setup as surround. Some days, the volume will be set at 15 and it's plenty loud. Other days, I need to set the volume to 45 to achieve the same level of volume. Additionally, I find it Ed xtremly bothersome to switch volume levels when movies go from speaking to action. My confirmation number from diagnostics is 936000196.

Thanks !
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 3 April 2019, 11:44

It’s usually not the Sonos Beam, but the different audio streams being played by the TV. A 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound stream is almost always louder than a 2 channel PCM output... and the different models/brands of TV and their attached peripherals can (and do) also vary their output.

My Sony TV and non-Sonos Home Theatre are exactly the same. The industry really needs some kind of 'standard' in place as TV audio can vary from a quiet ('can hardly make out what anyone is saying') whisper, to a very loud ('made me jump') bang, with the volume controls fixed.

It’s a damn nuisance sometimes, but not Sonos' fault. IMHO. A bit of tinkering around with TV/Beam EQ/Night Mode/Speech settings etc; can often result in some degree of happy medium being found, but then again, I still like to keep the remote control and volume adjustment within easy reach. Same goes for my Sony HT system too.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

It’s usually not the Sonos Beam, but the different audio streams being played by the TV. A 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound stream is almost always louder than a 2 channel PCM output... and the different models/brands of TV and their attached peripherals can (and do) also vary their output.

My Sony TV and non-Sonos Home Theatre are exactly the same. The industry really needs some kind of 'standard' in place as TV audio can vary from a quiet ('can hardly make out what anyone is saying') whisper, to a very loud ('made me jump') bang, with the volume controls fixed.

It’s a damn nuisance sometimes, but not Sonos' fault. IMHO. A bit of tinkering around with TV/Beam EQ/Night Mode/Speech settings etc; can often result in some degree of happy medium being found, but then again, I still like to keep the remote control and volume adjustment within easy reach. Same goes for my Sony HT system too.