Question

Sonos beam / sonos play 1 surround sound not working

• 7 December 2019
  • 3 replies

I've connected my sonos beam to my Samsung TV via the HDMI arc lead. My sky q box is connected to the tv by hdmi. I've changed the settings on both the tv and sky to Dolby digital. No option for plus. The sonos app states its paying Dolby Digital 2.0. Sound is amazing and sky remote works fine.

The next day I connected both my play 1s to the beam and had no problems with the process. The app says living room beam (+ls+rs). However I can't get any sound from them. Is this due to not watching programmes in Dolby Digital 5.1? I've researched the internet a lot but can't seem to find answer. Thanks in advance.  

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

If the program is not broadcast in add 5.1 the surround speakers have nothing to play. Check the program guide to see what’s being broadcast. Often the HD channels still only transmit stereo (DD 2.0) rather than full surround. 

You can check what Sonos is receiving under Settings,System,About My System. 

Thank you that’s what I thought. I tried playing the Irishman in Netflix. Sonos app said it was 5.1 but still no luck with the surround sound. Might try installing it again. 

In pre-season football, my local CBS station was broadcasting a 5.1 signal, but the games were in stereo...so difficult to understand the speech, and no sound coming from the rear speakers. Just because something is sending a 5.1 signal doesn’t automatically mean there is data being sent to the surrounds. Make sure you’re watching a recent movie when doing this sort of testing. My local news is equally in 5.1...and no sound from the surrounds, except for audio bumpers between stories.