Question

Sonos Beam on Monitor with only 3.5mm headphone out via Analog to Toslink Digital Adapter - why it does not work?

Badge

I am using an LG monitor als TV, it has only a 3.5 mm headphone audio out. My thinking was to connect the headphone out to this adapter: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W5GNZX5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I connect to this adapter my optical adapter and HDMI cable that came with the Sonos Beam.

Sonos App lets me setup the system correct but absolutely no sound. Did I receive a faulty adapter from Amazon or will this not work at all? And no, I don’t want to use an HDMI ARC splitter because I feed the monitor with 3 sources, one of them been my Laptop with USB-C. 

7 replies

That looks like it should work. Have  you tried connecting it directly to your headphone jack on the computer, as a test case, and setting the computer volume to at least 50%?

Are you certain the output from the monitor is analog? Have you tried a pair of headphones connected to the monitor to test if it’s sending out data? Is it possible the volume needs to be adjusted on the monitor, to ensure there is enough signal coming to that ADC to trigger the output?

Are you sure the ADC is getting power?

Badge

That looks like it should work. Have  you tried connecting it directly to your headphone jack on the computer, as a test case, and setting the computer volume to at least 50%?

Are you certain the output from the monitor is analog? Have you tried a pair of headphones connected to the monitor to test if it’s sending out data? Is it possible the volume needs to be adjusted on the monitor, to ensure there is enough signal coming to that ADC to trigger the output?

Are you sure the ADC is getting power?

Yes, I did try all of that. Tried a different audio source, tested the audio source with headphones, cranked the volume up, even got an adapter to got from 3.5MM to 2 RCA  connectors, but no matter what I try, the Sonos remains silient. I tried to plug the optical cable into a differnet Toslink audio source and it worked fine. 

I assume you have selected TV as the audio source in the Sonos app? 

(Sorry,  have to ask)

Sorry, it’s not clear from the description what was connected to what when you did the tests.

So far, I see two major possibilities, and a bunch of minor ones. The major ones are the ADC isn’t working, or the Beam isn’t working. Given The large number of other devices in the chain, it could be any of the others, particularly the cables. 

But if I understand your last sentence correctly, the audio worked on the Beam when you plugged the TOSLink connector to another source device, so we can rule out the optical cable, the adapter that came with the Beam, and the Beam. Which leaves the ADC, the cable connecting the TV to the ADC, and the TV’s output. 

At the end of the day, we’re certainly going around Robin Hood’s barn in order to get this working, it might be time to consider replacing the TV with something a bit more modern, so it has either a true optical output or an HDMI ARC connection. 

Badge

I assume you have selected TV as the audio source in the Sonos app? 

(Sorry,  have to ask)

Yes, I do. And to double confirm I connected the Toslink cable to a different source and sound over Sonos was fine. It just seems to be incombatible with the digital optical out of that converter box, which I don’t understand. I don’t see a reason why it should not work.

Badge

Sorry, it’s not clear from the description what was connected to what when you did the tests.

So far, I see two major possibilities, and a bunch of minor ones. The major ones are the ADC isn’t working, or the Beam isn’t working. Given The large number of other devices in the chain, it could be any of the others, particularly the cables. 

But if I understand your last sentence correctly, the audio worked on the Beam when you plugged the TOSLink connector to another source device, so we can rule out the optical cable, the adapter that came with the Beam, and the Beam. Which leaves the ADC, the cable connecting the TV to the ADC, and the TV’s output. 

At the end of the day, we’re certainly going around Robin Hood’s barn in order to get this working, it might be time to consider replacing the TV with something a bit more modern, so it has either a true optical output or an HDMI ARC connection. 

Yes, good thinking, I did tested also all the analog feeds and tried differnet analog sources - nothing worked. I made sure testing multiple cables and I tested the analog output of those cables with headphones. 
The “TV” is an $800 LG brandnew computer IPS monitor - that’s the best in 36 inch 3K - because this setup is in my RV with limited space. I too use it as Computer monitor and as TV with a Tivo, Apple and Android box. The monitor has only autio out via headphone outlet. 
I ordered today a 2nd Analog to Digital converter box to eliminate that I got a dead converter. 

Gotcha. My parents lived for quite a few years in an American Eagle, so I’m moderately familiar with space issues. 

So, if you’ve confirmed using headphones that sound is coming from the monitor’s output, and that when fed a signal through the optical cable to the Beam, you get sound, it seems inescapable that the issue is the ADC. You may want to contact the folks who make that, although I suppose a new one might be just as easy to swap in. I’m still moderately concerned about a cable issue between the monitor and the ADC, but not much can be done to test that other than buying a new cable.