Answered

Sonos Beam low volume

• 28 January 2021
  • 16 replies

Badge

Plugged in sonos beam yesterday with hdmi arc into samsung hu7500 tv. Volume on beam is low and dialogue not super quality. Need to listen to appletv at like 60 volume and even then dialogue quality not great. Talked to customer support for 2 hours this morning they couldnt figure it out. I suspect its tv compatibility issue but sonos doesnt think so. 

any ideas!? 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 March 2021, 17:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7

Have you tried using a different HDMI cable for your Apple TV?

Badge

Thanks for your reply! Im a novice with this stuff so I havent tried a different hdmi cable. My appletv volume was fine when just using samsung tv speakers so i assumed hdmi cable connecting appletv to table would be good but I can indeed try what you are suggesting. Thanks.

Badge

I tried with a new hdmi cable to but that didnt solve the problem unfortunately. If anyone has other ideas pls do share! My samsung tv is 6 years old but sonos doesnt think there is a compatibility issue. They had me submit 6 diagnostic reports today but couldnt figure out the issue. Supposedly they are taking it up the technical support chain but havent heard back. 

ideas welcome! Thanks

Userlevel 7

Have you set up Anynet+ (CEC) on your TV?

What are your TV and Apple TV’s audio settings set to?

Badge

Hi thanks for your message! Well i have anynet+ “on” and though it sees the beam the beam then doesnt appear in the anynet devices list. I told that to sonos this morning (was with cust supp again) and they said as long as its “on” its fine. They had me disconnect hdmi arc and listen to spotify (thereby tv settings are irrelevant) and while it sounded better it wasnt as it should be i think. I could speak with cust support even with spotify at 35 volume for example and cust support says that doesnt seem right. But they still dont have a solution!

Badge

My tv setting is at pcm which sonos cus support said is fine. Dolby digital on my tv is greyed out so i cant chose it. 

Userlevel 7

What is your Apple TV’s audio settings set to?

Badge

Hi thanks for your interest! Appletv audio shows dolby digital as auto, audio output as auto, hdmi output as auto. Hopefully thats what you meant in your question! Thanks alot

Userlevel 7

Since your TV is set to PCM, if you set your Apple TV to Stereo, does it make a difference?

Badge

Hi, when i go to audio output my only option is auto or 16bit, i tried 16bit but no difference. I didnt see a “stereo” option. But maybe its elsewhere in the settings? 

Userlevel 7

Stereo might be under Audio Format.

Badge

Hi not sure if its cause my apple tv is 5 years old and i think its 3rd generation, i dont see an audio format title in the settings section unfortunately!

Userlevel 7

Try setting Audio Output to 16 bit. If that doesn’t change anything, try setting Dolby Digital to Off.

Badge

Hi just tried both your suggestions but didnt have an impact! Im stumped.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Alacati 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

They had me disconnect hdmi arc and listen to spotify (thereby tv settings are irrelevant) and while it sounded better it wasnt as it should be i think. I could speak with cust support even with spotify at 35 volume for example and cust support says that doesnt seem right. But they still dont have a solution!

Given that level 35 wasn’t particularly loud when playing music and not TV, that sure sounds like a bit of an issue.

If you haven’t already tried it, please factory reset the Beam and set it up again as if new. Note that if this is your only Sonos product, resetting it will mean you will lose all favourites and playlists created within the Sonos app. If this doesn’t help, I can only suggest you get back in touch with our technical support team. 

Badge

Thanks for the response. I ended up returning the Beam. Art