Sonos Beam losing ARC connection with Philips TV

• 2 December 2018
  • 24 replies

Badge
SONOS setup:

Beam + 2 Play1s + boost connected to a 2018 Philips 55PUS6703 TV. That is one running the 'proprietary' Philips software, not Android TV. Both TV and Sonos are updated to the latest software. The Beam is connected to the ARC HDMI and works perfectly.

However, the beam is not found when switching the TV on - need to select audio out - and when looking at the TV settings it doesn't 'see' the TV. The way to fix this is to unplug all the other HDMI devices, turn the TV off for a minute or so, turn it back on and the TV will be recognised and is - according to the app - now connected.

That doesn't last. When switching between input devices (i.e. from Apple TV to digital decoder) or when turning the TV off and back on, the connection is lost and you will need to manually select audio out again. Sometimes you will find that the TV has magically selected the headphones as the output channel (no headphones attached) and sometimes it will still show HDMI sound system, but you have to deselect and reselect to get audio.

Easylink is enabled. I have tried multiple HDMI cables. My guess is that there is a software bug in the Philips system, so I am contacting them as well. I have 30 days to decide whether to keep this TV, so it would be great if anyone had a work around or a solution. Since I really want a Philips TV (ambilight), can anyone say if this problem is solved if moving to a full Android TV version?

Diagnosis submitted under number 1042646187

Cheers,
Henk

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Hi Henk - did you find a fix for this?
Hi,

I have exactly the same setup and problem as you. My Philips 556703 is 10 days old and my beam is four months old. It was working great until today, then every time I turn off the TV, the Beam stops working. You now have to mess about with the HDMI audio settings on the TV to get audio out of the beam.

Has there been an update recently with the beam software that could cause this ? I feel its the beam over the TV as it was working great until now.

Thanks in advance.
I have the exact same problem and would like to hear if there is a fix for this issue? I will call Philips to get support as it is obvious that it is the tv that is causing the problem.
Same exact problem here, same setup. Someone has a solution?
I had exactly the same problem: was working fine with my new Philips TV and beam and then randomly stopped. Had to changing the TV audio out settings every time the TV was switched on to get the audio via the beam. Was driving me mad! Read lots online and spent ages playing with settings until I eventually found the solution... With it all working fine, switch the TV off, unplug the TV, then power up again. Now it's working like a dream once again. Hope that works for others too!
I still have issues with my Beam and Philips 50PUS6703. Fine when you get them working together but will fail almost always when the TV is turned off and on again. Sonos / Philips can you get together, work this issue out and provide the consumer with fixed software please.
Happening with Samsung too, apparently.
I have the same problem! has anyone found a solution? Something i noticed with mine is the volume on the TV speakers is changing with the TV remote while outputting through the Beam. Before the problem the TV remote just controlled the Beam volume level. Easy link is active and connection is to HDMI ARC.
Hi all
i have the same problem. Philips TV and sonos bar. I unplug and reconnect the hdmi cable every time I want to watch tv.
Mine has started to work correctly now. I messed about for ages and updated the TV software, but the problem seemed to persist after that. One day it just worked!
I have what seems to be the same problem with my Vizio + Beam + Apple TV setup. If I turn on the TV (which turns on the Beam via ARC channel) then turn on the Apple TV it's all good, but If I turn on everything using the Apple TV remote the TV doesn't recognize the Beam.

Are people still having issues with Sonos / Philips HDMI arc?  I gave up in the end and just use the optical connection instead. Works ok, but you can't use the Alexa functionality to control your TV. 

Same issue here. My Philips TV 65PUS6754 appears to forget to initialise the HDMI ARC port on start up sometimes. Only way I have figured out to temporarily resolve is to switch off the tv and switch it on again. Incredibly frustrating, especially for two reputable brand names and expensive products. 

Currently going through the logging process with Philips. 

Same issue here. My Philips TV 65PUS6754 appears to forget to initialise the HDMI ARC port on start up sometimes. Only way I have figured out to temporarily resolve is to switch off the tv and switch it on again. Incredibly frustrating, especially for two reputable brand names and expensive products. 

Currently going through the logging process with Philips. 

Good luck!  Poor effort from Sonos / Philips.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

How is this a poor effort from Sonos? Its Philips’ problem to solve, are Sonos wrong to expect a working TV on the end of the cable?

How is this a poor effort from Sonos? Its Philips’ problem to solve, are Sonos wrong to expect a working TV on the end of the cable?

Comment above "Happening with Samsung too, apparently."

Each TV manufacturer will implement technologies in subtly different ways, Sonos should be doing everything it can to ensure their product works with them all, given how expensive these things are.

Hi, I'm brand new to Sonos and have to say so far very unimpressed. Spent over £1000 on Beam, Sub & 2 x SL speakers and cannot get TV audio to maintain a connection. Every time I turn the TV on I have to take the 60" TV off the wall, unplug everything and then plug them back in one at a time starting with Sonos then put TV back on wall. Then repeat this process every time TV is turned off. It's ridiculous. Will be retiring the Sonos unless someone has a permanent solution. 

hello have the same problem with my philips 47PFL6007T / 12. When I go into TV settings and turn on and off easylink, the systems start to work together again. No solution to the problem but may point to the problem ...

Check to see if there are any updates to the TV’s software from Philips, and then try rebooting the TV by unplugging it from the wall for two minutes. It may help, it may not, but forcing a new handshake event certainly wouldn’t hurt. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could also try different cables. I had a problem like this when an audio extractor embedder was in place between the TV and my PS4. Since I took that away averything is fine.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Bizarrely mine had always been fine and then ten days ago started doing this...odd. PUS6703.

Brand new 6814, and brand new beam. Exact same issue. Easiest workaround I've found is to toggle easy link off and on again. Works every time for me. 

Home>settings>all settings>general settings>easylink>easylink on/off.

Really annoying though.

Hi i found when i turned off quickstart in the settings on my philips 47PFL6007T/12. Sonos Beam started to behave as it  should when starting Tv

Select TV settings > General settings > Quick start > Activation. select quick start off

This solved my problem :-)       ………….now working fine for a week

Badge +1

So sonos not do cover these threads and offer solutions .

Got latest Philo's ps7805 with same probs .