Answered

Sonos Beam keeps dropping connection to iphone

• 18 April 2021
  • 3 replies

My Sonos Beam keeps losing the connection from the app and from my Spotify list of devices.

The Beam is still connected to WiFi as I am still able to use the Alexa voice control to play music from Spotify or Amazon.

To find the Beam again I would have to keep switching off and on the router. The Beam would reconnect with the app again but then the next day would have disappeared again. Very frustrating. It was obvious that something was happening overnight for this to occur again and again.

I have since switched off the option for the Beam to check for updates automatically overnight. Since I have done this, the problem of the Beam disappearing from the app and the Spotify list of devices has been solved.

So although this solution works, I now have to manually check every now and again for updates. This isn’t ideal and I feel it must have been in an update for this problem to suddenly occur. I had had the Beam for 6 or 7 months with no problem like this at all and my Wifi network at home is stable and with a good signal.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 22 April 2021, 12:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Datex

Perhaps see if adding the Beam’s IP address to your routers DHCP reservation table, so that it always gets the same static IP address, allows the Sonos auto-update-check (overnight) to be enabled again and resolves your issue.

I’m thinking that a router firmware update might possibly be at the heart of your issue and creating issues with IP address allocation.

Thanks for the reply. My router is the BT Smart Hub 2 and I believe the latest firmware update was on or around the 29/03 which is when the problems started happening with the Beam. I’ve read that disabling the 5GHz radio might be a way of working round the issues so going to try that now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thanks for the reply. My router is the BT Smart Hub 2 and I believe the latest firmware update was on or around the 29/03 which is when the problems started happening with the Beam. I’ve read that disabling the 5GHz radio might be a way of working round the issues so going to try that now.

Hi @Datex 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Yes, if you have the BT Smart Hub 2 it’s likely that a recent firmware update on it has created this issue. We’d very much like you to contact BT about this as they will assign it a higher priority with more customers getting in touch.

There is more information on my post here (in blue):