Answered

Sonos Beam keeps disappearing from app

All of sudden the Sonos Beam keeps disappearing from the Sonos 2 app. If I unplug the Beam it will show up again but eventually it disappears again.  Tonight for example I was able to start playing music but later when we wanted to change music the room and speaker didn't show.  Had to turn on my TV to stop the music from playing.  I have 2 play 1 speakers in my house that are fine, no issues. 

Tried the "find missing products" but it never finds the Beam. I've tried factory reset before and don't like that option.  Was a pain getting things set up again.

I've had the Beam for 3 years and ever since Sonos 2 arrived I've had this issue arise multiple times. Any suggestions on what is going on and to resolve this nagging and annoying problem

icon

Best answer by Corry P 2 March 2021, 16:45

Hi @Nat DeRose 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I wrote such a comprehensive reply to you all here that it ended up being an article. You can find it here:

View original

27 replies

Try unplugging your Beam from power, then reboot your router. When the router comes back up, plug back in the Beam.

Thanks Bruce, unfortunately yes that was the first thing I've been doing.  It works but only for a short time. It will show up again. I can play music through the app, Spotify, air play, etc. However, with 30 to 60 minutes later the Beam disappears again from the Sonos app.

Also didn't mention before is that when watching TV the beam works but so do the surround speakers I have tied to the beam. So they are functioning in that aspect. Just can't see in the Sonos app or in other apps that allow sonos speakers (Spotify, Amazon, air play).

All signs indicate an IP address issue, but if you’ve done the reboot sequence in the exact sequence I suggested, that leaves some sort of wifi interference, or even a hardware issue. While the Beam is showing in the controller, submit a system diagnostic, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

When you talk to the phone folks, there are more options available. They are available Monday through Friday during business hours.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. 

Thank you.  I'll investigate wireless interference first and then go the system diagnostic approach if that doesn't solve the issue

I have had the exact same issue and contacted Sonos a couple time but it has been unsuccessful as after a few hours, the Beam disappears again. Any luck in resolving this issue?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Soso13.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

Can you submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number?

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Same issue here with our Beam. I’ve tried both wired and wireless. When connected via ethernet it shows up, but disappears after a few minutes when using wireless. Wifi network is solid so I’m also submitting diagnostics to support for help there. Edit: I’ve tried all the reset options including factory reset and reconfiguring the Beam with no luck.

It would likely help him help you if you were to post the number of that diagnostic you submitted.

It would likely help him help you if you were to post the number of that diagnostic you submitted.

Will do as soon as I receive it. It’s not showing in the app (maybe it did right after I submitted) and I haven’t received an email confirmation yet.

Ah, gotcha. I don’t think you get an email confirmation. At least the last time I submitted one, you didn’t. You have to write down or cut and paste the number that appears on the screen. Try submitting a new one, and capture that data ;)

I have the same issue. I have spent hours!!! trying to get this to work and I am starting to get really annoyed with all the useless q&a, the explanations with use of menu items that don't exist, the whole "restart" procedure advice which doesn't work. There is also no Wifi interference. I have the Sonos One on exactly the same wifi same distance which never disappears. Also the installation process is so incredibly annoying, nothing happens, then oh seems there's a problem, ah this didn't work, we'll try that, oh, check your cable or try again or reboot your phone.... unbelievable that this product has any success at all. Also the support is ridiculous, no email? no form to submit something? Chat aha "no employees"

Not how you win new promoting customers.

So, whats the issue with those Beams and how do I get a refund? I wont spend any more hours on this, never seen a product that is impossible to get working properly, not for this price anyways

I have to agree. The Beam has been a terrible experience compared to the other Sonos products we use. It’s basically not useful for anything but TV sound with its wifi issues. The only work around I’ve found is to connect it via Ethernet and that not a good option for me due to its location.

After this experience I’d say pass on the Beam if you depend on wifi and want to use it for something other than just TV sound, ie. Streaming audio, airplay, etc.

Great we're on the same page here. To add to that, constantly says "I cannot connect to the internet right now" while it is connected.

But why buy a wireless "connected" device and then you have to use a cable?

Is anyone from Sonos looking into this forum or they just leave it up to us clients wondering about problems?

Hi. 

I have the same problem. Beam keeps disappearing from S2 app but still plays tv audio. I have TP-Link Deco mesh wifi with very good coverage and the Beam is showing in the Deco app so I know it's online. Beam and Ikea surround speakers reset and reinstalled, same problem next day..

/Henrik 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @HenrikLindbom.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

If you plug any Sonos soundbar into the tv it will still produce sound even if it's not link or activated in the Sonos app. disadvantage you cannot control the soundbar.

Here are router settings that need to be verified. You can contact your ISP or the manufacturer of the router for assistance.

a. Auto channel must be set to Off

b. Choose best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11)

c. Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz

d. Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled

e. 802.11 band should be set to b/g/n

f. Airtime Fairness should be disabled

Hi @HenrikLindbom.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

If you plug any Sonos soundbar into the tv it will still produce sound even if it's not link or activated in the Sonos app. disadvantage you cannot control the soundbar.

Here are router settings that need to be verified. You can contact your ISP or the manufacturer of the router for assistance.

Hi and thanks for quick answer. Sorry to say that the TP-Link Deco mesh system has no way of changing these settings as it is basically autonomous. All I can do is verify that 2,4GHz and 5GHz is enabled and Sonos is on 2,4GHz, channel 11. I have had the Beam for about 1 year, same with mesh system, and the problem seems to be somewhat new.

It might be pure luck but I get the feeling that it gets worse if I plug a Chromecast into one of the hdmi of my tv. About 30 minutes ago I disconnected the Chromecast and now the Beam is visible in the app, without restart or anything. Same thing with a Xiaomi tv-stick last week, disconnected it and Sonos worked a couple of minutes later. 

I will try to connect Chromecast tomorrow and see if the problem comes back. 

/Henrik 

It did not help to unplug everything from the TV, the Beam is still disappearing from the S2 app. It should still be under warranty so I would like to know if this could be hardware related?

/Henrik 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @HenrikLindbom.

I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted with more thorough and in-depth troubleshooting steps as well as remote diagnostics that can be remotely gathered from your Sonos devices with your permission.  

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

What? After another 2 hours trying to re-add my beam with endless problems, I just found from another blog that a recommendation is to set the router to Wifi Standard b/g/n instead of g/n, which is my router’s standard. I read in other blogs it is no good mixing this up and b is an old standard. Now I saw the Beam supports b and g but not n. So I have everything on the latest standard and a new Beam device I buy uses old WLAN standards and asks me to compromise my whole network by setting it to accept old standards only so I get the new Sonos device working?

I understand if they want to keep new products compatible with old Sonos devices but why do you not tell people in advance. As a new customer I automatically expect a new product has the latest standards. I would have never even considered buying Sonos if I had known the recommendation after endless problems is to set your router to old standards.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi  @pgh_marc.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

I understand your frustration about the configuration that Sonos has for it to run smoothly.

Here are router settings the we recommend.

Sorry Sonos but I must agree with pgh_marc user.I just bought recently new Asus XT8 Wifi6 (AX) Mesh system and your Beam starts disappearing from App and I have to reboot it nearly every day (this will damaged the product with doing this all the time). Factory reset did not work and only what you can advise is downgrade our hight tech wifi routers??? Sorry but product which cost £400 should work without any trouble like this and you should fix it over software/firmware update!!! I really stop liking your products for this reason they are out of date when you put them on the market!!! Sound bar which can not do DD+(5.1) and can not handle latest Wifi standards?? This has nothing to do with interference. Well hell lot of trouble with your product sorry but your products are not worth that money 👎👎👎. 

All of sudden the Sonos Beam keeps disappearing from the Sonos 2 app. If I unplug the Beam it will show up again but eventually it disappears again.  Tonight for example I was able to start playing music but later when we wanted to change music the room and speaker didn't show.  Had to turn on my TV to stop the music from playing.  I have 2 play 1 speakers in my house that are fine, no issues. 

Tried the "find missing products" but it never finds the Beam. I've tried factory reset before and don't like that option.  Was a pain getting things set up again.

I've had the Beam for 3 years and ever since Sonos 2 arrived I've had this issue arise multiple times. Any suggestions on what is going on and to resolve this nagging and annoying problem

Same problem here !

Userlevel 2

@JuriJuri , @Eric1st  - I have the same issue. I am using the following workaround: Connect one of the speakers to the router via ethernet cable. Hardwiring a speaker to router allows it to create a “SonosNet” network and the rest of the speaker connect on that network. You’ll have to turn off then on the rest of the Sonos speakers after that.

I will try that thanks !

@JuriJuri , @Eric1st  - I have the same issue. I am using the following workaround: Connect one of the speakers to the router via ethernet cable. Hardwiring a speaker to router allows it to create a “SonosNet” network and the rest of the speaker connect on that network. You’ll have to turn off then on the rest of the Sonos speakers after that.

Hi Ahmad 

Thank you for your reply. I am fully aware of SonosNet option but sorry I have invested £400  in proper Wifi 6 from Asus XT8 Mesh system where Sonos does horrible job there. The speakers keep disconnecting and moving around between router and Nod and it is just not working at all ( I have tried all settings inside the mesh system to get it work but no change) . I have invested all this money to make sure all devices becomes cable free and not that I will have to use cables ever again. The problem is Sonos compatibility it is just does not work very well and it was not patched so far. Also they use very outdated technology in device's. I got Sonos system for good £1800 and why I should go back to cables??? Well if I know all this what I know now I will not buy any sonos products to be honest. They looks great, sound is ok but not the best in the range for that price and outdated hardware with no possibility to update it and I am talking on products which runs on Sonos app version 2 that means latest controller from sonos. That is how is sonos marketing setup and manufactured. Like I said Sonos is ok for most people as smart solution but not bulletproof or even when they are making new product until it comes on market it is outdated and no chance to update it. Cosmetic patches on Sonos controller app version 2 is ok but nothing great was added so far all the promises how better it will I mean App version 2 is just not happening. People are shouting for functions where Sonos just keeps failing and not adding any of them just look around forum. I am happy with the sound but not happy of the possibility what it can do and why it is becomes more harder to get it work with latest technology and no possibility of future updates because of the hardware inside Sonos. Expensive for example soundbars just can not do it.But that you for you help and all the best. 😉👍