Answered

Sonos beam gen 2 issues

• 9 October 2021
  • 47 replies

Userlevel 1

I got delivery of my beam 2 on the 6th and have the 5.1 setup with sub and one SLs which is great.

Ive had an issue twice now with my beam going full volume sounding like a machine guns going off in my livingroom which is unbearable, especially for my dog 😅 and I’ve unplugged it straight away. Once plugged back in it’s fine.

The first time was when connecting the beam to my TV but the hdmi had not yet been plugged into the unit, so power on only, 2nd time was when I had paused the tv for a few minutes.

I will submit a diagnostic to Sonos next week when I can contact support but thought in the meantime I’d check if this is something anyone else has had issues with as I can’t find anything online?

Thanks in advance 🎵

icon

Best answer by Corry P 31 August 2023, 12:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

47 replies

Userlevel 1

Thought I’d update this in case anyone else comes across the same issue with their units. I got a video of the issue, got in-touch with Sonos and the suppliers who were both really helpful and suggested a factory reset as it’s an issue they have never come across.

Completed the reset with all my devices and set the system back up. No issues for roughly 24hrs then unfortunately reoccurred. The beam gen 2 is now back with the supplier for testing and they have offered an exchange.

Badge +17

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your posts here in this thread.

If you’re experiencing similar issues with a Beam (Gen 2), please get in touch with our customer care team via phone or live chat. Before making contact with our team, it would help greatly if you could submit a system diagnostic at the time the issue is occurring, and refrain from rebooting your Beam as this will remove helpful logs and information that our team can use to investigate what’s happening to your unit.

Just an update for my replacement Beam 2.  

I replicated my settings and played music via Youtube music linked to the Sonos app. It ran 3 hours straight without a jackhammer/machinegun incident.

We watched movies/shows/Youtube during the weekend. I also left the TV playing from different apps for an hour each, Netflix, Disney, and Youtube. No static noise incident. 

So far so good. There has been no incident as of yet. Hopefully it was just a defective unit and the problem doesn’t come back. For those experiencing this issue, definitely reach out to support and try to get it replaced. 

Just some things I might’ve missed with my experience.

-Jackhammer/machinegun or static noise does not occur when not playing anything (Standby/low power mode)

-None of the 3 reps I’ve talked with heard of this issue

-All of the diagnostics I’ve submitted came back clean and problem could not have been identified. 

Hope this helps.

Badge

Had this also happen twice with my gen2 beam 

Very annoying. !!!

I had the jackhammer/machinegun noise issue happen to me on the first day I got the beam 2. When it got delivered I set it up right away and updated it. Linked my Youtube music account to the Sonos app and tested it out. The first half hour was pretty good, then the volume went from 3 to 10 and it started making the noise. My wife and dog were in the room with the beam 2 at the time. My dog panicked and my wife didn’t know how to turn it off, she was about to smash the thing. I thought it was just a glitch or error, so I did a factory reset.  

During the weekend we were watching Youtube on the TV with the beam 2 and it did something similar. Volume went from 4 to 10 but this time a very loud static noise was coming from the beam. By this time I got the rest of the system ( 2 ones and sub) come in and set up. The rest of the speakers didn’t have this issue, it was just the beam 2. I did another factory reset just to make sure everything was setup properly. It didn’t work. I had about 7 to 8 reoccurrences with the jackhammer/machinegun noise and the static noise.  

First day I contacted support their system was down so not much they could do. Second day, the first person I talked to told me that my system was working perfectly. I summitted a diagnostic. He told me I had excellent wifi connection but with a bit of interference. None of the diagnostics will tell them anything since the jackhammer/machinegun or the static issue won’t let you submit a diagnostic and keep giving you a try again error. I assume the beam 2 freezes up during this time and restarts itself. They told me to change my wifi channel to remedy some of the interference and see if the problem comes up again. I changed the channel and restarted my wifi. I played Youtube Music at 2, then 20 to 30 minutes later machine guns blaring out in my living room. I took a video of it this time. Called customer service again, and told me to run another diagnostic. Basically all the same information as the first person. Told me to reset the wifi and if it happens again to take a video of it. If it did happen again they would send out a replacement. Told them I had a video but it wouldn’t count since they have to go through a troubleshooting procedure. Its understandable so I agreed. I reset the wifi and 4 hours later I finally got the video. I managed to recreate it a couple of times, but my camera app wouldn’t open and the beam 2 restarted itself before I could record another video. Called customer service again and sent them the video. They were about to tell me to do another factory reset then recreate the problem again but I got a little bit upset with them. Told them I already did that twice and cant keep putting my wife and dog through this. Its basically torture trying to recreate this issue. They agreed to send me the replacement. Don’t get me wrong all the people I talked to were very kind and helpful but this issue isnt something like having interference, latency, stutters, or setup problems. Having the speaker go from 1 to 10 guns blazing is traumatizing not only for me and my wife but especially for my poor dog, not to mention it can potentially damage your your hearing. One video after everything is checked out, connection, updates, and factory resets should be indicative of a defect or even just one reoccurrence. 

Long story short, for those that are experiencing this issue and to save you time. Change your wifi channel to either 1,6, or 11. Restart the wifi and modem. Perform a factory reset on the beam 2 and anything connected to it. Make sure router and beam 2 are updated. Then have your phone on hand to video the beam 2. Run diagnostic when problem does arise. Keep trying until submit one, then print screen then contact customer support. 

Recreating the problem may be different for people. I linked my Youtube music account to the Sonos app and played it from there. I have only played music using this method, not sure if other services will recreate this issue. Leave the music running at a low volume. Results may vary but my beam 2 will have guns blazing between 20-45 minutes of playing. 

For the loud static noise, I don’t have a reliable testing method. It just occurred when using the Youtube app on our TV, Netflix, and Disney. Volume would shoot from 4 to 10 and play nothing but static randomly for like a minute. We just got the LG C1 brand new so I doubt that the source would be the problem considering the machine gun noise doesn’t come from a source. 

Now just hoping the replacement doesn’t have any problems.  

I returned mine. I’m not holding on to something that is defective that cost $450 that I can’t return after 14 days. I did buy a Sonos One for music which sounds gorgeous. Researching Beam alternatives for home theatre.

Userlevel 1

Yes mate it’s a good shout, I’m an engineer so fully understand your reason for asking as any kind of data can be used for troubleshooting the issue. I have skyQ but on this occasion I think the issue lies in the beam 2 itself as the only attachment it had the 1st time was its power cable so was not connected to any source at all at that time. It had been connected previously via the optical port on the sky Q box as the hdmi provided was not long enough to get to the back of my TV. I’m going to try recreate it today to get a video as mentioned for support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @baz3986 et al

We now consider this issue of a hammering sound issuing from Beam (Gen 2) resolved with the latest update (v15.7).

If you still encounter this issue, please ensure your Sonos system is up to date, then contact our technical support team for assistance. Thank you.

Userlevel 1

Update: Smart home sounds who I purchased the beam gen 2 from in the UK have tested my beam over 48hrs and Sod’s law they have not found any issues with it, but have exchanged the unit to which I have just received so fingers crossed it’s all good this time. Just on a side note SHS in the UK have been brilliant and their customer service is excellent so would highly recommend them. I hope everyone who has commented so far gets their issues sorted 🤙

I think the answer here is to continue to closely monitor the issue and if it happens again, to try to capture a diagnostic ‘dump’ by holding the ‘join’ (infinity) button on the device for 10 seconds or so (the status LED should begin to flash different colours). Then go onto power ‘off’ the device and power it ‘on’ again and when the device reappears in the Sonos App, immediately submit a Sonos diagnostic report and post the reference back here with details of the device(s) involved and what steps led to the issue. Any captured information should then (hopefully) get sent with the diagnostic report.

Presumably the Sonos engineers are aware of this issue .. and my thoughts are the more data that can be gathered, the sooner it can hopefully be fixed for the few folk that are experiencing this issue.

I just hope it gets fixed soon for everyone here.👍

Is anyone aware of a solution to the beam gen2 machine gun noise?

thanks!

Update here: 

I was escalated to the “Sonos Escalation team” via phone support who emailed me directly. I sent them the video that I took of the issue and they informed me that no further diagnostics would be needed that the device would have to be replaced so they’re sending me a new Beam G2. 

My best advice is take video evidence and send it to the escalation team. 

Hope this helps someone in the future. 

Badge

Hi all,

I have had the same random machine gun like everyone else here.

Short version: Google assistant seems to be the culprit as I have removed the voice assistant and the issue seems to have stopped. 

Long version:

Bought the Sonos beam 2 two days ago. Installation went smoothly and was working fine at first. Then suddenly the machine gun noise came up while listening to Spotify. Had to pull the plug to stop it.

I then began my research to try and fix the issue. Went through the settings of my projector (plugged by earc) to see if it was sending an unexpected signal. Plugged the beam by ethernet to elimated the possibility of a wifi interference issue. Changed the wifi channel of my router. Tried all kind of different settings. But in vain the issue would keep appearing randomly. 

After a factory reset, the issue seemed fixed until it started randomly again. 

I was about to give up and send it back when I tried activating my roborock by Google assistant and it crashed immediately while before it had alway been at random times after playing music or a movie for a while. I then realized that the issue had always appeared after I had installed the Google assistant back on the beam. 

I then deactivated the voice assistant and haven't had the issue since. 

Fingers crossed that its some kind of interference with certain devices and Google assistant.

Badge +1

@106rallye No - they dont have weekend hours. Will do so during the week.

I want to encourage everybody having this problem to go to social media and/or the review boards of where they purchased this product and let other potential users know of this problem. Between the ARC and Beam Gen 2 there are hundreds of users on here complaining about this problem and nothing helpful from Sonos.

Maybe after Sonos sees their product being accurately represented in a negative light, we will get some attention and get this fixed.

Sorry to say, my first sonos purchase has gone back to Costco. I found that the Beam Gen 2, had three issues, and I do not have the patience to deal with a foreign call centre to have them fixed. 

It took me three days to get the Beam to work with the help of their high level tech support. Everyone that I dealt with really knew their stuff.

First was the jack hammer or machine gun out of the blue in and the middle of the news or program

Second was the google commands that the Gen two did not recognize and

Third was the gen dropping the sound when watching a show. 

That was the final straw for me. Just too much to deal with, so I bought a dumb sound bar with a woofer. That should be enough for my setup.

Adios and Merry Christmas to all!

And to sonos… Good night!

The problem now is I can not listen to music in a relaxed way anymore, afraid that it may happen again. Hope Sonos gets this fixed soon otherwise I’ll return the Beam. 

Userlevel 1

The problem now is I can not listen to music in a relaxed way anymore, afraid that it may happen again. Hope Sonos gets this fixed soon otherwise I’ll return the Beam. 

I have the same problem, I have a 5 month old pup who is crate trained in my livingroom and I’m worried it’ll happen when I’m out,would give him a heart attack so no confidence in it now, especially as it seems to be a common problem with the gen 2. I wonder if the issue is in the firmware as would be very strange to have such a hardware fault in multiple units?

Badge

Hello all,

A quick update here after having tested my replacement unit for over 24 hours.

I have not reproduced the problem so my advice would be to get in touch with Sonos support or the place where you bought the beam to check if it’s a faulty unit (these things happen).

Cheers

Sounds rather strange? What audio source were you playing when it happened on each occasion, was it music, or a TV audio source? I think it’s best to try to submit a diagnostic (noting it’s reference) if you encounter the issue again and maybe capture the sound on video for Sonos Support to investigate further.

You can contact/chat to Support Staff via this LINK.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your reply Ken, the first time it happened there was no source, I was connecting to the TV via the HDMI eARC connection but had not yet plugged this in therefore this rules out the hdmi cable. The 2nd time it was watching TV but the programme had been paused for a few minutes so no sound has been played through the speaker on both occasions. Other than these times it has been fine. My main concern is this happens whilst I’m out and the dog is in the house by himself as it’s unbelievably loud as you can imagine.

The reason I asked about what was playing, is this site here that refers to a different brand of Soundbar makes mention of a similar noise, but puts it down to an incompatible signal being received from the TV.

https://www.orbitsound.com/en-gb/support/articles/my-soundbar-makes-a-strange-sound-using-an-optical-connection/

TV’s these days have audio pass-through on their ports so it might be a device connected to the TV is sending some kind of unsupported signal - do you have other devices connected to the TV? If so maybe the diagnostic will show where the sound is coming from and help you get to the root cause of the matter (er .. perhaps?) 

This is unbelievable, same issue ,sore ears ,scared the poo out of the cat . This is totally unacceptable. I would sue these bastards. This device can cause permanent ear damage . Yes it sounds ok for a D class bunch of amps stuffed into a little oblong with minuscule speakers. It doesn't do surround very well ,the stereo separation is crap but the 120 Db white noise i can definitely  do without . Will never buy any of their products again. 

I have had my Beam (gen 2) for three days, it took customer support two days to get me up and running, then this morning at 7am, while watching the local news, I had the “jack Hammer” sound resonate through our condo, wife came storming out of the bedroom, ready to kill, and the neighbours knocked on the door asking if everything is all right. Does anyone know if there is a fix or a download available to resolve this issue. I certainly do not want all the neighbours coming over again tomorrow.

Right now, it is disconnected until I can be sure it will not happen again.

Thanks

Badge

Unfortunately the issue started again so the theory about Google assistant was wrong. 

The store where I bought has offered to send me a new one.

Hopefully it was just a faulty beam... 

Hi all,

I’m having this issue sporadically on my Beam Gen 2 despite multiple factory resets, using the hmdi cable, and having ethernet plugged in. 

Why hasn’t Sonos addressed this issue? It’s complete ***** that I now have a $500 paperweight in my apt because it randomly plays the loudest sound you’ve ever heard in your life. What can I do????

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*