Answered

Sonos Beam Gen 1 stereo/Dolby digital issues

• 1 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Good afternoon,

Just purchased a refurb Sonos Beam gen 1 from Sonos to add to my old tv set-up.

Have connected utilising the supplied optical adapter as tv doesn't have Arc. Other components include, Blu-ray, Amazon Fire Cube and Humax freesat box (HDR1100).

My issue is that Freesat box only plays through Beam in stereo, even if broadcast is in Dolby Digital. Freesat box settings appear correct (Audio type stereo (only options right, left and stereo) & Digital audio out - multi channel). When playing apps via Amazon Fire Cube (Prime, Netflix or Disney Plus), the broadcast is in Dolby Digital.

I thought this may have been a limitation of old tv, however, why would one play back in digital and one in stereo - same programme in Netflix via Humax is in stereo whereas via cube is in digital.

Any help/guidance would be extremely welcome.

Many thanks

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 1 October 2022, 19:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

What happens if you swap the Humax and Fire Cube between HDMI ports on the TV? 

Hi ratty,

Thanks for the reply. Good idea, hadn’t thought of that, but sadly didn’t work.

Cheers

Simon

Sounds like an issue in the Freesat box, since apparently the Fire Cube is working properly. 

Given those audio choices you mention in the settings, you may need to contact Freesat Customer Service to ensure that ‘multi-channel’ in the digital output really does mean ‘Dolby Digital’, and not something either less, like stereo, or more, like Dolby Atmos. 

Thanks Bruce, I’ll do that.

Simon

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It does look like Freesat is mostly stereo: https://www.avforums.com/threads/freesat-hd-digital-sound-stereo-or-5-1-or-what.1051949/