Sonos Beam constant low noise

• 13 November 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi, I have been a Sonos enthusiast for years.

purchased a beam maybe 2 years ago and is plugged into my Samsung TV vie the Earc HDMI port.

All worked well until last night. Noticed a mid / low frequency droning noise behind the TV audio. The noise follows the volume control. 
Unplugged the HDMI and streamed music and that plays fine.

Plug TV back in and the noise starts again. I have been into TV settings and swapped from PCM to bit stream and back and also through the Dolby digital and PCM etc. Nothing stops it.

I have tried it in a standard TV HDMI port but I get no sound, even though the TV says it has a receiver connected and playing through it.

I have had no TV or Sonos updates recently Tony knowledge, also I am still using S1 controller due to my legacy products.

Wondered if anyone has any ideas before I do a complete reset on my TV, or if the TV is actually at fault.

Many thanks

Andy

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Sparkie67.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand that you have a noise issue present with your Sonos Beam only while in the mode of watching TV. Let me help you out.

Based on your provided details, your Sonos Beam is connected to the TV via eArc HDMI port. I would like to recommend the following troubleshooting steps and see if it would help out.

1. Can we try unplugging the Sonos Beam from power and plugging it back after 10-15 seconds and see if the issue persist.
  2. May I know what is the source (video) of the issue? ( Netflix, Cable TV, satellite TV, in-app, cable box app, or all of them)
  3. Can we submit a diagnostic while the issue is on-going for almost 2-3 minutes and then post the confirmation number here?
  4. After the above recommendation, Can we check if the TV has HDMI ARC port available? If it does,
  5. Can we unplug the Sonos Beam from power and unplug the HDMI cable from the eARC port of the TV and plug the HDMI cable into the HDMI ARC port.
  6. Once the HDMI cable of the Sonos Beam is plugged into the HDMI ARC port, not the HDMI eARC port, Can we plug the Beam into power and check if the issue still persists.
  7. Can we submit another diagnostic after 2-3 minutes of watching a video while the Sonos Beam is plugged into the HDMI ARC port of the TV.
  8. Can we check if the issue is still persistent at this point.

The reason for my recommendation of switching from eARC port to ARC port is that only the Sonos Arc as indicated in the guide about Supported home theater audio formats.

I hope this helps.

Please let us how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Badge

Hi Paul

thanks for the info. I had left the HDMI unplugged from the Beam whilst I’ve been away for the last few days.

plugged back in and noise is back. Noise is there on cable, terrestrial and Netflix streams. The only clear channels were BBC i player and Amazon prime video.

on a good point, when switching back to the noisy source feeds it has stopped. Not sure how or why, but it’s all back to normal thanks.

I will print and keep the advice for any future problems.

thanks again for your help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Sparkie67.

Thanks for the update and immediate response.

That’s good news. It may have been because of the update last week and Sonos released. That update also has a feature for the Sonos Arc to support LPCM and some bug fixes. It may have been that which caused your Sonos system to function and be back to normal. I hope it would continue to do so and for you to keep on enjoying your Sonos.

If you still have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out or create a topic. We are always here to help.

Thanks,