Sonos Beam ARC connection issues

• 12 December 2018
  • 30 replies

Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 12 replies
I have my beam connected to my Samsung TV via HDMI cable to ARC port. Things work fine generally but every couple of days the beam will loose the connection to the TV. Sonos app says it detected a connection issue with the TV and tries to fix it but to no success.

Every time this happens the only way to fix it is unplug power to the beam and it will reconnect after the reboot. This is very annoying especially since now i have to do these multiple time in a week. unfortunately every time this happen its outside of the support hours so i cannot talk to anyone for support.

Do other people see similar issues? is there any fix to this at all?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
How old is your Samsung - I know some TV's that came out in the 2010-2011 period didn't really always have ARC done exactly perfect (with some bugs).
Badge
Its a 2012 model. if its an issue with TV why does rebooting the sonos fixes the issue?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Probably restarts arc control that is locked up.
Badge
how do you restart arc control? is that in the TV?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I’m assuming that is what you are doing rebooting the beam.
Actually, you'd want to unplug the TV for a minute to reset the HDMI-ARC handshake. In my experience, it's more often stored in the TV's firmware.
Badge
thanks for all replies, but is this a TV issue or Sonos issue, since its very annoying to keep doing it.
Since there aren't thousands upon thousands of similar issues reported here, I'm guessing it's a TV issue.
Huzk,

Do you have other HDMI devices connected to the TV? If so, I’m wondering if one of those other connected devices may have CEC controls enabled and is intermittently trying to take control away from the Beam.

Perhaps see if the problem disappears when you unplug your other devices and try to narrow down which device maybe causing the problem and turn off it’s CEC controls or use a 'CEC-Less' adapter or cable.
Badge
if i switch to using optical cable, i will lose on sound formats like Dolby Digital right? I mainly using Apple TV 4K for streaming all my content.
Badge
Huzk,

Do you have other HDMI devices connected to the TV? If so, I’m wondering if one of those other connected devices may have CEC controls enabled and is intermittently trying to take control away from the Beam.

Perhaps see if the problem disappears when you unplug your other devices and try to narrow down which device maybe causing the problem and turn off it’s CEC controls or use a 'CEC-Less' adapter or cable.

I read a similar reply on another thread and other day i tried removing other devices. I have three devices that connect to TV

1. Apple TV, this is must have since i use for all my content streaming
2. Playstation
3. Fire Stick TV (i removed this one for testing)

Do you think any of these could cause the issue? Please note i removed Fire Stick and the issue still happened also playstation is mostly in sleep mode when this happens.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No if you switch to optical you won't loose dolby digital presumably (some TVs don't properly pass - you would have to test and see). As a general rule you should get dolby from optical same as HDMI.
Badge
Other Samsung TV users whats your experience, any inputs on the advance sound settings on the TV side that can help?
huzk,

The CEC controls are used to control attached devices, even if the devices are in standby they can try to take over from the Beam.. The Amazon fire stick settings are at the bottom of the 'Display & Sounds' menu, as an example. So I would look at all the devices connected and turn off their CEC control and just see if that resolves your issue.

Apple TV4 is... Settings > Remotes & Devices > Home Cinema Control
PlayStation 3... see this link https://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS3-Support/Disable-PS3-HDMI-CEC/m-p/24592444
PlayStation 4... Settings) > [System], and then deselect the checkbox for [Enable HDMI Device Link]

Hope that helps a little further and you manage to get things resolved.?
Badge
Update:
My PS4 setting for [Enable HDMI Device Link] was already unchecked.
I turned off the HDMI setting on the Apple TV. Now need to use TV remote to turn TV On/Off (Sucks)

Will find out if it fixes things.
Badge
Another question, my samsung TV when set to external speakers only show PCM as the digital audio out option. Is this correct? does it mean i am not getting Dolby digital to my beam?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sounds like your tv won’t pass Dolby digital.

You will need a new tv or an external hdmi switch with optical output
If changing the device settings doesn't fix the issue, you may want to get a CEC less adapter. Use it for the device you think is most likely the issue and see if the issue resurfaces. If it does, use it on a different device.

As for you're question on external speakers, typically you will not get a dolby digital option if your current source is only PCM (stereo). When using the ARC connection, your TV should also send dolby digital when the source is DD. You should never need to mess with this settings.

This is the case with my Samsung TV, but it's a newer model then yours.
Sounds like your tv won’t pass Dolby digital.

You will need a new tv or an external hdmi switch with optical output

It wasn't clear, but I'm guessing DD was greyed out, which happens when the source is not currently DD. If it's not visible at all, then yes, your TV likely won't pass through.
Badge
My main source is Apple TV which is set to send Dobly Digital. When i was checking the setting everything was greyed out but then i was not playing anything. Tonight i will try to play something from netflix and see if the settings change?

Is there a way from Sonos app to see what input is the soundbar getting.
There are some/many (?) TVs that only show/un-gray the options when they're actually receiving them, so if you weren't watching something at the time that had a Dolby Digital signal, it's very possible that they'd be grayed out.

And yes, absolutely. If you go to More>Settings>About My Sonos System, you'll get a set of data for each Sonos device you have. Under the Beam, there should be a line that says "Audio In:" or something like that. What you're looking for there is "Dolby Digital 5.1", rather than Stereo (or honestly anything else....maybe unrecognized is a thing? Not sure) That tells you what the Beam thinks it's getting in terms of signal.
For what its worth, I had a similar situation with my 2016 Samsung and my Denon Receiver. ARC connection suddenly wouldn't send audio back to the receiver.

Turns out that Samsung TVs have a weird issue with ARC and sometimes need to be power cycled (i.e. unplugged for about 5-10 mins then plugged in again) this sort of solved my issue so far (but sadly I have to power cycle about every 3 months)
Badge
For what its worth, I had a similar situation with my 2016 Samsung and my Denon Receiver. ARC connection suddenly wouldn't send audio back to the receiver.

Turns out that Samsung TVs have a weird issue with ARC and sometimes need to be power cycled (i.e. unplugged for about 5-10 mins then plugged in again) this sort of solved my issue so far (but sadly I have to power cycle about every 3 months)

Mine is happening everyday, but when i reboot the Beam it fixes itself. Will try unplugging the TV to see if that does any better.

Mine is happening everyday, but when i reboot the Beam it fixes itself. Will try unplugging the TV to see if that does any better.

Hopefully that helps you out. I don't have my beam yet, it should be here tomorrow, but it'll be on my older Sony TV in my Master Bedroom.
Badge
Update:
The connection lost happen again last night. I had already disabled CEC on all connected devices to the TV. I also did a hard reboot of the TV by unplugging power for a min or so. None of this help, in order to get things back on had to reboot the beam.

This is makes my experience so bad, and since i am not home during the day time no way to get any help from Sonos support as well. Can i submit a diagnostics report when this happens next time and can call the support later once they open?