Answered

Sonos Arc wont play Dolby Atmos

• 16 June 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hello.  I've recently purchased a new Sonos Arc, TV and DVD players.   The TV is an LG OLED65CX5LB 65" 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV and the DVD player is a Sony UBPX500B 4K Bluray Player.  I understand both are able to play Dolby Atmos.  I'm using Sky Q for my main TV system and have set it to Ultra HD and Dolby Digital Plus.

I have set up the Arc to the TV using the correct HDMI ARC port and the DVD player and Sky Q to the TV using other HDMI ports.  I've tired to watch a Sky Q Ultra HD film (it says Dolby Atmos available in the Sky Cinema section) and Ive also watched an Ultra HD DVD (with Dolby Atmos) on the DVD player.  Neither are showing Dolby Atmos on the Sonos App and it says its receiving Stereo PCM when I check it.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 16 June 2021, 14:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Try these settings on your TV:

Digital Audio Output: Passthrough

DTV Audio Setting: Auto

eARC: On

Badge +1

Hey Guitar Superstar, that's worked on the TV and Sonos Arc watching the Sky Movie.  Thanks!  The DVD disc I had on isn't, but I don't think its actually Atmos, just 5.1 audio. 

Userlevel 7

Here’s a list of Blu-rays and UHD discs with Dolby Atmos audio:

https://www.nextgenhometheater.com/dolby-atmos-blu-ray-movies/

This is a great resource too: 

https://www.blu-ray.com

Badge +1

Hello again Guitar Superstar!  Just to say that I tried a Dolby Atmos DVD and it works on the Arc and I have the Atmos message etc.  Thanks for the links as well.  Do you know if there are many music DVDs in Ultra HD and Atmos?

Userlevel 7

I’m glad it is working for you! I just purchased Godzilla vs. Kong for a good price on eBay. I read the Atmos audio on the disc is fantastic. Uncompressed Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos on physical media is far superior than compressed Atmos on streaming apps, IMO.

There aren’t a lot of Blu-ray music discs available with Dolby Atmos audio. I honestly don’t know of any on UHD disc. But here are some of my favorite music Blu-rays with Atmos audio from my personal collection that I have enjoyed:

R.E.M.: Automatic for the People 25th Anniversary

Roger Waters: The Wall

Roger Waters: Us + Them

Hans Zimmer: Live in Prague

John Williams - Live in Vienna

Kraftwerk: 3-D The Catalogue - This disc has some of the best height effects I have ever heard from my Arc.

If you want a bigger selection of Dolby Atmos music, consider getting an Apple TV 4K and get a subscription to TIDAL or Apple Music. Both services offer many songs/albums in Dolby Atmos. I have been listening to music on both of these services the last few weeks, and it sounds incredible playing out of the Arc. Dolby Atmos music will completely change the way you listen to music.

Badge +1

Thanks again Guitar Superstar!  Really helpful.