Answered

Sonos ARC with AppleTV 4K Sync Issues

• 3 June 2021
  • 4 replies

Greetings,

Wondering what settings everyone is using (if you even have to tweak it at all) When I run the airplay sync on the atv it throws off the lip sync big time.

I know there’s an option to fine tune the sync in the Sonos app but that didn’t seem to help.

Thanks

Ryan

icon

Best answer by Corry P 7 June 2021, 13:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Ideally, you need to use an HDMI-ARC cable connection (or an HDMI/Optical converter connection) from a device to the Sonos Product (either direct, or via a TV/Projector etc.) that’s if you want it to sync with video on screen - if you attempt this via a WiFi connection, then there is a ~75ms audio buffer delay with Sonos products for the purpose of grouping speakers, as it’s a multi-room wireless audio system - so I think you may struggle to get video to perfectly sync with the audio, unless it’s just luck and that’s even if a single Sonos Product is being used ungrouped.

Best option is to use the wired HDMI route from the Apple TV to the Arc - if you go via the TV then set the TV Settings to allow the audio to pass-through the TV - if the TV delays the audio (some do), then you could consider using the audio splitter/extractor HDFury’s Arcana instead to bypass the TV.

See this link: 

https://www.hdfury.uk/product/hdfury-arcana/

Ideally, you need to use an HDMI-ARC cable connection (or an HDMI/Optical converter connection) from a device to the Sonos Product (either direct, or via a TV/Projector etc.) that’s if you want it to sync with video on screen - if you attempt this via a WiFi connection, then there is a ~75ms audio buffer delay with Sonos products for the purpose of grouping speakers, as it’s a multi-room wireless audio system - so I think you may struggle to get video to perfectly sync with the audio, unless it’s just luck and that’s even if a single Sonos Product is being used ungrouped.

Best option is to use the wired HDMI route from the Apple TV to the Arc - if you go via the TV then set the TV Settings to allow the audio to pass-through the TV - if the TV delays the audio (some do), then you could consider using the audio splitter/extractor HDFury’s Arcana instead to bypass the TV.

See this link: 

https://www.hdfury.uk/product/hdfury-arcana/

Thank you for all of this. Currently the Arc is connected to the arc port on my TCL television and the atv is connected to another hdmi port on the tv. 

Thank you for all of this. Currently the Arc is connected to the arc port on my TCL television and the atv is connected to another hdmi port on the tv. 

In that case, does the TCL TV have an audio pass-through setting for its HDMI ports?… if the TV is processing the ATV audio and that is delaying it, then you could try switching the Apple TV to just send PCM stereo audio instead and switch the TV to output the audio using that same codec too and see if that works in a more timely manner, or as some folk here have done, you could bypass the TCL TV altogether with the Arcana, sending the ATV audio direct to the Sonos Arc, as suggested in my previous post.

A setup with an Arcana would look similar to this image below (just ignore the projector):

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ryanstpete 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Please try rebooting your TV by unplugging it from power for 30 seconds.

The Arc will play audio from the TV as soon as it receives it, therefore any lip-sync issues are likely induced by the TV (or the Apple TV, but this is less likely).

You can try using the optical adaptor instead, but this would restrict you to stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1 only. TV’s typically “do” less with the optical output feed, so it may improve things in terms of sync.