Answered

Sonos arc sound cutting in and out

• 18 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

My arc (connected via EAC with an Nvidia Shield serving the data through my Samsung TV) has worked flawlessly up until a few weeks ago.  Now no matter what I play (through the Shield) the sound will either cut out completely or just go very, very quiet.  This is true no matter the codec, on things that played FINE previously.  If I keep playing it may or may not come back (usually not) but if I turn EVERYTHING off and back on again all is well.

It’s not the Shield - I switched it with two more Shields I have that play great with other soundbars.  My Sonos system is up to date but I did notice a new software update that happened about the same time my problems did.

Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this?  I understand you can’t roll back software (which is a shame, as I’m pretty sure it’s the Sonos update that fracked everything up) but the Arc is now a worthless player.

icon

Best answer by Kelleytoons 20 January 2022, 14:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Samsung TVs with eARC are known to have issues with the Arc. I would try disabling eARC on the TV or redoing the TV Setup process below:

Disconnect everything from the TV and unplug the TV and Arc from power for a couple of minutes. Plug the TV and Arc back in but keep them disconnected. Make sure Anynet+ is enabled on the TV. Run TV Setup in the Sonos app and connect the Arc to the TV using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable when the app instructs you to. When the Arc has been successfully connected, connect the Nvidia Shield to the TV.

Userlevel 1

I’ll give that procedure a try but your suggestion about disabling eARC on the TV doesn’t make a lot of sense given we only have the one input on the Arc.  I thought we needed eARC in order for the Arc to even function (IOW, I can’t just plug my Shield directly into the Arc and so for the source to come to the Arc I thought it had to use eARC tech).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not quite. You need HDMI-ARC (that uses other pins in the HDMI socket). Your Amp does not need de newer form eARC, that is (at least for Sonos speakers) only used for Atmos, that the Amp does not do.

You could disable eARC while keeping ARC.

Userlevel 1

It’s been a few days and things are working correctly so I thought I’d post here in case this helps someone.

I didn’t do the above.  My “fix” was to unplug the Arc from power and HDMI and then put a hardwired ethernet cable into it and plug it all back in again.  This effectively disabled the Arc (because it then needed to be set up as hardwired) but I had thought it would just switch automatically (and, besides, I started thinking about all the subs and satellites and decided it wasn’t a good idea) so I unplugged the ethernet.  After a few minutes the Arc saw the wi-fi it was hooked up to previously and was back in my system.

And that was it - it has worked fine for the last few days and because it couldn’t go even 20 minutes without stopping I’m pretty sure that fixed it.  Now -- I suspect doing all the above recommended to me would have worked as well but just more “thorough” but at least it’s all working again.  Thanks to all who commented.