Answered

Sonos Arc - Post Build 58178180

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I understand that build 58178180 was supposed to address the underlying issues with the Arc bass issues, but it doesn’t appear to have done so.  It has made it better as you can see according to this thread, it has not solved the problem: https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-arc-muddy-bottoming-out-bass-6842379

However, now that Sonos support has been limited due to layoffs, where do we stand?  

It’s readily apparent the issue persists according to this video:  

However, this YouTuber is testing frequencies that most Sonos purchasers aren’t going to be doing, but it does highlight that you have masked the issue and not solved it.

Myself, I’m watching movies at a normal 20-40% volume will hear some muddy bass compared to previous products like the Playbar.   You don’t hear it always but it does occur, and it’s very frustrating when you expect an $800 soundbar to perform at least equivalent to it’s predecessor and it fails to do so.  I expected a Playbar on steroids with a wider sound stage… not an $800 product that frequencies were limited on and required a subwoofer purchase to get the most out of.

I personally would love to hear an update and understand where things are going.  If that means a next phase beta for testers, great…  I think it’s unfortunate given how long it took for S2 and the Arc to come out but I know new products introduce new bugs, so I understand things happen.  I would prefer transparency versus muting frequencies though to solve this issue.

I’m lucky enough to have a 100 day return window but I was expecting a playbar on steroids + wider sound stage with a minor bass increase.  The only solution I’ve heard online is that a sub masks the issue for the most part but a $700 solution to a $800 purchase doesn’t seem to be a good solution…

Please advise and give a dedicated community some support and comfort that Sonos is dedicated to fixing this…

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by bbalz 3 July 2020, 07:42

Per the muddy bass thread… 

Hello everyone. I’m a product manager at Sonos. Thank you for sharing your experiences with Arc. The development team is monitoring this community and listening to your feedback. 

As we do with all Sonos products, we’ll continue to improve the experience for Arc through numerous software updates into the future. Last week we issued our first update (12.0.1) to fix a bug some customers were experiencing with low-frequency distortion at higher volumes. 

If you have specific music tracks or timestamps for TV shows and movies that you want to bring to our attention, please use this form. It is helpful if you can submit a diagnostic when you’re listening to the content. Instructions for doing so can be found here.

Be sure to submit anything via the link Scott from Sonos provided above. 

View original

97 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Although I’m overall statisfied with the improvements in 58178180, I unfortunately still experience issues as well. Best to be described as a ‘whooping’ (not constant, when testing with just a specific frequency) sound. Definitely at times not as crisp as you would expect for a premium 900 euro soundbar.

Multiple examples have been given in this topic, even post 58178180 update. People have mentioned several songs, video or series cuts and youtube frequency tests that prove this issue.

My stance is that for a premium soundbar as this one, an additional sub for crisp low tones shouldn’t be needed (it should be an addition, complementary). I know a soundbar can’t produce as much sound as a full set, however, the sound it does produce should be crisp at all times and never distort. This still is a premium product that comes with the highest expectations.

What is starting to annoy me most is that Sonos isn’t being transparent as to what is going on, or any form of communication/ updates in regard to the situation. If there isn’t going to be a suitable software solution, customers should have the choice to return the product or keep it as it is.

I am having the exact same problem, it's better but not solved it. Audio/bass that played well on the playbar is struggling on the ARC, it's almost as if we have gone backwards. What I don't understand is did they not yet this before releasing? If a software fix doesn't solve it then it tells me it could be hardware related. I am baffled as to how Sonos can allow a flagship product like this to be released without proper testing. I am now contemplating returning and going back to the playbar until this is sorted. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Whatever the problem may be, I’m confident that Sonos will fix the ARC. They are a reputable dealer. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Whatever the problem may be, I’m confident that Sonos will fix the ARC. They are a reputable dealer. 

But… what if they don't? We are stuck with an $800 soundbar that has major issues. My last day to return it is tomorrow, I would love to keep it (if it worked properly). This is my first sonos product and we are not off to a good start.

But… what if they don't? We are stuck with an $800 soundbar that has major issues. My last day to return it is tomorrow, I would love to keep it (if it worked properly). This is my first sonos product and we are not off to a good start.

You should have 100 days to return it...

Userlevel 2
Badge

Unfortunately I got it at Best Buy so I only had 15 days

I often wait for discount codes which they send via email and buy from them directly which then gives a 100 day return policy... I bought the playbar, then realised Arc was coming out so used it for 2 months and then returned it. Next time maybe try that approach, at least that you are protected. I have 3 x sonos one speakers and the Arc... Had the playbar before which was amazing so don't lose faith in the brand because they're products are normally spot on.. Just not sure what has happened with the Arc 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I’m not familiar with Best Buy, as I am in UK, but just checked their website for the Arc, it has good review for verified purchasers, most with photos of their installs:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sonos-arc-soundbar-with-dolby-atmos-google-assistant-and-amazon-alexa-black/6411132.p?skuId=6411132#tabbed-customerreviews

Return it if you are not happy with sound or are not sure, I assume Best Buy will resell at discount ‘open box’ to someone else after it has been tested.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Knock, Knock !  Sonos, are you listening?

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

@Jean C. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Their is no way that I’m returning my Sonos ARC. I love the way it sounds when it blends in with my Sonos Sub, and I enjoy it. No, it’s not perfect, and probably needs more work to get it to work correctly. But, I’m confident that the Sonos engineers will fix the problem. These things take time, so try to be patient. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Sonos fired the one representative that was actually corresponding with the community regarding this issue. An issue they apparently hadn’t identified beforehand without our help…

Feeling really low about all this, just not been a good purchase experience with the Arc. I’m sure improvements will come over time, but I don’t think it’s too much to ask to have someone from the company communicate with customers who just purchased an $800+ product about their shared concerns.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

+1 just adding in that I’m also seeing the same issue as others have reported

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Still getting certain bass issues mentioned here which werent present in my playbase 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Same here. Still having issues. My reported case was escalated to Tier 2, this early afternoon. 

Badge +3

This is their Flagship product for the next 5 years or so...I cannot imagine they will not be looking to fix this asap. But again, like someone stated earlier, I think some of you really got a “bad batch”...way to many 5* reviews out there from many sources

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Same here. Still having issues. My reported case was escalated to Tier 2, this early afternoon. 

Mine was reported to tier 2 supposedly over a week ago. They tell me the engineer assigned to the case is investigating. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’ve been experiencing this issue from day one like many others. I have an open case with Daniel opened on the 15th of June since then it’s been crickets from customer care. Just wanted to confirm the issue is being addressed.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Their is no way that I’m returning my Sonos ARC. I love the way it sounds when it blends in with my Sonos Sub, and I enjoy it. No, it’s not perfect, and probably needs more work to get it to work correctly. But, I’m confident that the Sonos engineers will fix the problem. These things take time, so try to be patient. 

There are a lot of people who cannot afford to or would prefer not to waste $800 on something that sounds inferior to a $400 alternative.  And there are a lot of people who are tired of companies rushing buggy products to market before they are ready.

Yes, Sonos MAY improve/fix the Arc so that it sounds better than the Beam/Playbar.  But until they do, I certainly am not going to fault anyone for returning it vs. holding out hope that Sonos makes it work properly in a timely matter.  Maybe they will, maybe they won’t.  But a lot of people don’t want to take that chance with their hard-earned money and I can’t blame them. 

Was so on the fence with this as I too have the flappy speaker sound when heavy bass , so want to keep it but I've now rma for a return as 799 for this just doesn't cut it so I'll go try either a playbar off eBay or a new beam , I can't afford an extra 600 for sub at mo ☹️

Userlevel 1
Badge

I would like to reverberate what others are saying about the new Arc’s firmware build only slightly helping the bass issue, but it also not being a complete remedy. As with Peter Pee in his Youtube videos (I go by TTR in the comments) I to have distortions at new frequencies with not over 60-65% volume.  This also goes for distortions in high quality content like a 5.1 blu ray, or 4k bluray atmos track. Not 0db test tones through a streaming service. 

Take Spider man - Enter the spider verse. The entire opening scene playing on just the Arc without the subs and surrounds is a complete mess. The heart beat, the music track, the explosions. All of those upset the Arc, and these are not ignorant to your neighborhood volumes we are talking about.  Yes, the issues largely go away once you add the sub and one’s back in since the DSP / digital crossover system lifts and the Arc can focus on better things outside of the low end of mid-bass. 

Side note - The firmware update is separate from the Sonos app update. I did not know this on release day until I went back into the system update to see the prompt for updating the firmware. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@Jean C. A status update on what’s going on would be duly appreciated. Having the same aforementioned issue. Thank you!

Userlevel 2

I'm currently waiting for my ARC, sub gen 3 and one SL bundle. It's on back order until at least ~20 July. Reading all this makes me wonder if I should cancel the order and sit tight. Thoughts? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I'm currently waiting for my ARC, sub gen 3 and one SL bundle. It's on back order until at least ~20 July. Reading all this makes me wonder if I should cancel the order and sit tight. Thoughts? 

I am holding back from buying as there is also a reproducible fault (electrical noise) in sub gen 3 acknowledge by Sonos engineer just today. The link is below about that. 

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-sub-gen-3-crackling-static-sound-6842907

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I am holding back from buying as there is also a reproducible fault (electrical noise) in sub gen 3 acknowledge by Sonos engineer just today. The link is below about that. 

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-sub-gen-3-crackling-static-sound-6842907

I think that the sub issue is for a specific, one-off unit. It’s reproducible in the sense that the owner could reproduce the problem. I don’t believe that there is a problem with all sub gen 3 units.

We are all rightly worried about the arc software issues (which I hope will be resolved soon), but I still have faith in Sonos. I don’t love the support staff changes, but I hope things will get better soon. I do hope that Sonos management is aware of the criticism here.