Sonos Arc keeps disconnecting from Samsung TV when turned off

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone could help me. I've recently purchased a Sonos Arc and installed it yesterday. I did this by simply connecting the arc to my TV via HDMI arc. It was a bit hit and miss when connecting to my Samsung JU6400 series TV. It seemed to have problems when connecting with the Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC). Eventually, I got it working.

However, after turning the television into standby mode (off), it disconnects from the Sonos arc and I have to reconnect it all over again.

Any ideas as to why its doing this and anyway in which I can fix it?

Thanks all,

Adam

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Prior to submission I had been watching TV all evening with perfect sound via Sonos. Please don't route me back to the tele call center as I already had troubleshootEd 10+ times and Spent 15+ hors including both Sonos and Samsung call centers, yet Not resolved and Sonos wouldn't take Responsibility to fix the Persistent issue which has been open since n year.

I then turned ONLY the TV off, after an idle time of about 2 hours, turned ON the TV to watch, Upon turning It, the ARC had lost its HDMI connection with the TV, no audio signal detected (even though nothing had changed in my system since a perfect connection, other than toggling the TV power off/on) . This is the persistent behaviour I am experiencing.

Working Diagnostic 1618812137 - Not working Diagnostic 121305903

My system status at point of submission was:

• Samsung TV: ON, with volume unmuted at medium level

• Samsung model number: UN50JS7000

• Sonos connection used: HDMI ARC

• HDMI connections: Chromecast, FireTV stick, Laptop, Sonos ARC 

Sonos system: ARC plus 2 x One (Gen 2), all ON, connected to TV via its HDMI-ARC output

Sonos App: Apple iOS: Running

Let me  Know What Additional Information  You Would Need To Get This Rectified.

Hey this just happened to me.  I replaced the Hdmi Cable and it worked this morning going to keep monitoring seems it's a defective HDMI cable

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Rodspencer and @WhiskeyRowe,

Issues such as this can sometimes be down to other HDMI devices interfering with communication between the Arc and the TV - would it be possible to test if this is the case by seeing if you continue to have problems with only the Arc connected to the TV?

It may also be worth checking the CEC/Anynet + settings on your TV - if you have any settings relating to Power Sync/Auto Power Off, it may be worth disabling these also.

If you’re still having issues, however, then as mentioned by Stanley_4 I would recommend reaching out to our Support Team via either live chat or phone call, as they have more tools available, and will be able to perform some live troubleshooting with you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

This is a community, user to user forum. Sonos staff presence can be a bit spotty.

For  Sonos support you need to call in or use other methods on the Contact page for your country.

It’s always nice to post on the company message board about a problem and your frustrations with their expensive product and get ZERO response or feedback.  

Hi. I am having the same problem with my Sonos arc & new Samsung Q95T tv. Everytime I turn off the TV the e-arc connection is lost and Sonos is not reconnectingeven though I have not changed any settings.

here is the diagnostic id 2103091104

and the second one after restarting TV 743416679

can you please help?

/Spencer

This has been reported and going on for 8 months.  How is this still an issue?  Is there a fix?   It’s absurd to have a system this expensive that I have to unplug twice a day.  It’s embarrassing.  

Has there been any solution for this problem? My sonos arc constantly is losing connection to the hdmi arc and when try to repair it always fails. I’ve reset the tv settings multiple time, turned off auto tv auto play, unplugged/plugged the bar in. All sometimes worked but inconsistent. My tv is an LG OLED 65B6P

My Sonos Arc worked perfectly for 2 months. Since three weeks arc did no longer connect to tv. I still had the screen with the black and white figures but sound was no longer transferring. Got a notification in the app that speakers were no longer connected (hdmi issue) and the app proposed to solve the problem by reconnecting the speaker to the tv, which didn’t work. Only solution was to cut the power from the tv. This would make it possible to reconnect the tv to the soundbar. After half a day or so the connection would again be lost. Realised after two weeks that I had only made one change, I had connected my chromecast to a spare hdmi port of my tv. I have since pulled the chromecast from the tv and no longer have had any issues. I have no idea why but apparently the chromecast even though I was not using it, would interfere somehow with the tv-Sonos connection?!? Tv is an older mode Samsung.

Sounds like a problem in the CEC layer of the TV. Have you checked the TV for firmware updates? Which particular Samsung is it? There’s several threads in the Home Theater area about the difficulty Samsung is having in tracing down the issue in their various TVs. I’ve seen a thread that talks about the Frame series, and a firmware update that hasn’t been released to all regions yet. Have you contacted Samsung to ask them about your issue?

You know I would maybe agree that it was the TV if it weren’t for the fact that I used to have another Sonos arc on this TV that never once had this issue. Also its the latest Samsung 8K so the features on it aren’t exactly low end either. This issue never happened a single time for the months that I had the last Sonos ARC. My wifi is flawless as well but again the only thing that changed since the last arc was the new one.

Sounds like a problem in the CEC layer of the TV. Have you checked the TV for firmware updates? Which particular Samsung is it? There’s several threads in the Home Theater area about the difficulty Samsung is having in tracing down the issue in their various TVs. I’ve seen a thread that talks about the Frame series, and a firmware update that hasn’t been released to all regions yet. Have you contacted Samsung to ask them about your issue?

My issue is somewhat related, I constantly have my Sonos arc disconnect in the middle of anything that I am doing on my Samsung TV. Does it maybe once every 15 min and sometimes more if something happens like a new episode of a show starts. Replugging hdmi, replugging power, basically any form of reset is required to bring the sound back, but the fastest way i have found is that i have to turn the TV off and back on again every single time. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @matfau, thanks for the update and for submitting a diagnostic report on this issue. Upon checking the information. It shows Interference and Audio dropouts on the Sonos system. and since you'd id some necessary troubleshooting steps, but the issue persists. I need you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps.  They may ask for other troubleshooting steps, but If it still doesn't work, then they may need to escalate the issue. 

Let us know what you have in mind with the advice above.
We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Hi @matfau, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up and I know where you’re coming from. About your concern on your Sonos Arc that keeps on disconnecting with your TV. I’ll ask you first to submit a diagnostic report for us to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue. So that I can check the status of your whole Sonos system.

Let me know your thoughts with the advice above.

If there is anything else you need, please, let me know.

Hi Simon, thank you for your concern. The confirmation number is 363835780;

Hope you find the solution soon !

I was so struggle after bought arc, one sl and sub. It’s disconnected to my samsung tv everyday when i turn off the tv. The only way to have it back is to unplugged all other hdmi connection to my tv. But thats not supposed to be the solution for long run right? Please advice me what should i do? 

Happy to find this group. Having the exact same issue with a Samsung TV, although no Chromecast is connected. Everything sets up fine, but as soon as you turn the power off, it all disappears.  It seems like plenty of others have had the same issue and I'm curious as to whether their issues were resolved because I'm ready to pack the system back up and return it.

Userlevel 7

Just FYI...I had the same issue with my 2020 LG NANO losing connection to the Arc after TV shutdown. As it turned out it was a known issue with LG of sound bars (not bearing the LG brand) disconnecting upon TV shutdown. A software update resolved the issue.

My point being is that it may be worth contacting the TV manufacturer to inform them of the issue. If enough complaints are logged it may behoove the TV manufacturers engineering department to look into a probable bug in the software/firmware.  Just a thought :thinking:

Cheers!

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @matfau, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up and I know where you’re coming from. About your concern on your Sonos Arc that keeps on disconnecting with your TV. I’ll ask you first to submit a diagnostic report for us to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue. So that I can check the status of your whole Sonos system.

Let me know your thoughts with the advice above.

If there is anything else you need, please, let me know.

Hello, same problem here with a Samsung + Apple TV 4K + Arc frame. No sound after 2 or 3 days of use, I have to unplug/plug the power cord to turn it on again.
Do you have a durable solution?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @garyganesh, thanks for the update. Regarding your concern, I’ll send you a private message regarding this issue.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

Hi Simon, thanks for the reply.

I would love to talk to your phone support team, but the link you’ve given me here just takes me to the general ‘Sonos support’ Q&A page, and I cannot find anywhere on that, or elsewhere on the Sonos site, any contact telephone numbers. Please could you tell me the most appropriate support phone-number for me; I’m based in the UK. Thanks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @garyganesh, thanks for the update. I appreciate you taking the time to submit the diagnostic report and doing some troubleshooting steps in resolving the issue. Upon checking the diagnostic report, I can’t see anything wrong on the Sonos Arc, and since you've done some troubleshooting steps and the issue persists. We’ll take this further. I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps.  

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the help. My diagnostic reference number is 1896569110.

My system status at point of submission was:

LG TV: ON, with volume unmuted at medium level

HDMI Source: Sky set-top box, ON, sending video & audio to TV via HDMI

Sonos system: ARC plus 2 x One (Gen 2), all ON, connected to TV via its HDMI-ARC output

Sonos App: Android: Running

Prior to submission I had been watching TV all evening with perfect sound via Sonos.

I then turned ONLY the TV off, waited 10 seconds and then back on again. Upon turning it on the ARC had lost its HDMI connection with the TV, and when I used the facility to re-establish it, it told me there was no audio signal detected (even though nothing had changed in my system since a perfect connection all evening, other than toggling the TV power off/on) . This is the persistent behaviour I am experiencing.

All help very gratefully received ! :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @garyganesh, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up and we understand where you're coming from. So we can further check on the status of your Sonos Arc with the TV, 

I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report for us to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue.  

I have an LG TV to which I’ve just connected a new ARC, and I’m getting the same problem; despite setting up the ARC correctly via HDMI and it working perfectly with zero problems, every time I turn the TV on the ARC has lost its HDMI connectivity, and I have to repeat the setup. Given the number of reports of this issue and the wide variety of TV manufacturers involved, I cannot believe that it’s all the TVs which are wrong. This rather points to something in the ARC software/firmware, maybe with the HDMI handshake which occurs when devices are switched off and on again ?