Sonos Arc keeps disconnecting from Samsung TV when turned off

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone could help me. I've recently purchased a Sonos Arc and installed it yesterday. I did this by simply connecting the arc to my TV via HDMI arc. It was a bit hit and miss when connecting to my Samsung JU6400 series TV. It seemed to have problems when connecting with the Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC). Eventually, I got it working.

However, after turning the television into standby mode (off), it disconnects from the Sonos arc and I have to reconnect it all over again.

Any ideas as to why its doing this and anyway in which I can fix it?

Thanks all,

Adam

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @doddy1000, Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community. Regarding your concern about the TV being disconnected to the Sonos Arc after turning off and on, I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report before turning off the TV and after turning it back on to compare and for us to further investigate what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue. 

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

So, I think I have worked it out. I have unplugged my Chromecast which was being picked up by the Anytime+ settings on my TV and since then my Sonos arc has not disconnected at all. However, I don't want to keep my Chromecast device unplugged all of the time.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @doddy1000, thanks for the update, Regarding your concern, what I’m thinking is that there could be interference on both devices that are connected through HDMI ports at the same time which uses Anynet+. ’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report before turning off the TV and after turning it back on to compare and for us to further investigate what could be causing this issue.

Hi Doddy thanks for the tip. Have the same issue with a Samsung tele. Was having to pull the plug out to get it to reconnect which is fairly drastic.

Removing the barely used chromecast from its HDMI slot has fixed it. Would rather Samsung/sonos had a permanent fix but it works for the moment. 

Had the exact same thing regarding the TV only connecting when unplugged/plugged back in. I'm glad disconnecting the Chromecast worked for  used too.

I too also use my Chromecast rarely so it's not the end of the world, but, it is still slightly frustrating for when I will want to use it. 

Have you contacted Samsung about the issue? I have done so several times and they refuse to admit fault. They have admitted that there is something strange happening. However, they want me to fork out the bill for this as my TV is no longer in warranty! How nice of them!

Hi @doddy1000, Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community. Regarding your concern about the TV being disconnected to the Sonos Arc after turning off and on, I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report before turning off the TV and after turning it back on to compare and for us to further investigate what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue. 

Hi Simon,

I have submitted two Sonos diagnostic reports as requested. The reference numbers are: 1427088647 (this is with the TV being already on) and 2046687075 (this is with the TV being turned off and on again).

Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Adam

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @doddy1000, thanks for the update. I appreciate you taking the time to submit the diagnostic report. Upon checking the diagnostic report. I was able to see that everything is all good with the Sonos Arc. it shows it was online and connected. I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps to this issue. 

No I haven’t contacted Samsung. From looking on the internet there’s a large number of people with problems with LG/Samsung’s teles and HDMI CEC issues. Going to stick with having the chromecast disconnected and only plug it in on the occasions I need to use it. 

Don’t think my next tv will be a Samsung though. Will do some under in-depth research before buying a new one to avoid such problems as this! 

Once again thanks for the tip. 

Got a Samsung TV ( UA65JS9000K) as well and AppleTV (latest model) connected with same issues ! AppleTV is my main source so that’s a problem! Any ideas on how to tackle ?! Diagnostic 1413822577 with Arc disappeared and 660101713 with arc manually reconnected (via restart). router is eero - have a dozen other Sonos and no issues there. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @YoeF, Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up and we understand where you're coming. I appreciate you taking the time to submit the diagnostic report. Regarding your concern, upon checking on the diagnostic report that you’ve sent. I saw both the diagnostic reports. and saw that the Sonos Arc was missing and it went back on the diagnostics. I’m thinking it could be interference between the Apple TV and the Sonos Arc. I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps.  

I have an LG TV to which I’ve just connected a new ARC, and I’m getting the same problem; despite setting up the ARC correctly via HDMI and it working perfectly with zero problems, every time I turn the TV on the ARC has lost its HDMI connectivity, and I have to repeat the setup. Given the number of reports of this issue and the wide variety of TV manufacturers involved, I cannot believe that it’s all the TVs which are wrong. This rather points to something in the ARC software/firmware, maybe with the HDMI handshake which occurs when devices are switched off and on again ?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @garyganesh, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up and we understand where you're coming from. So we can further check on the status of your Sonos Arc with the TV, 

I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report for us to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue.  

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the help. My diagnostic reference number is 1896569110.

My system status at point of submission was:

LG TV: ON, with volume unmuted at medium level

HDMI Source: Sky set-top box, ON, sending video & audio to TV via HDMI

Sonos system: ARC plus 2 x One (Gen 2), all ON, connected to TV via its HDMI-ARC output

Sonos App: Android: Running

Prior to submission I had been watching TV all evening with perfect sound via Sonos.

I then turned ONLY the TV off, waited 10 seconds and then back on again. Upon turning it on the ARC had lost its HDMI connection with the TV, and when I used the facility to re-establish it, it told me there was no audio signal detected (even though nothing had changed in my system since a perfect connection all evening, other than toggling the TV power off/on) . This is the persistent behaviour I am experiencing.

All help very gratefully received ! :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @garyganesh, thanks for the update. I appreciate you taking the time to submit the diagnostic report and doing some troubleshooting steps in resolving the issue. Upon checking the diagnostic report, I can’t see anything wrong on the Sonos Arc, and since you've done some troubleshooting steps and the issue persists. We’ll take this further. I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps.  

Hi Simon, thanks for the reply.

I would love to talk to your phone support team, but the link you’ve given me here just takes me to the general ‘Sonos support’ Q&A page, and I cannot find anywhere on that, or elsewhere on the Sonos site, any contact telephone numbers. Please could you tell me the most appropriate support phone-number for me; I’m based in the UK. Thanks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @garyganesh, thanks for the update. Regarding your concern, I’ll send you a private message regarding this issue.

Hello, same problem here with a Samsung + Apple TV 4K + Arc frame. No sound after 2 or 3 days of use, I have to unplug/plug the power cord to turn it on again.
Do you have a durable solution?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @matfau, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up and I know where you’re coming from. About your concern on your Sonos Arc that keeps on disconnecting with your TV. I’ll ask you first to submit a diagnostic report for us to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue. So that I can check the status of your whole Sonos system.

Let me know your thoughts with the advice above.

If there is anything else you need, please, let me know.

Userlevel 7

Just FYI...I had the same issue with my 2020 LG NANO losing connection to the Arc after TV shutdown. As it turned out it was a known issue with LG of sound bars (not bearing the LG brand) disconnecting upon TV shutdown. A software update resolved the issue.

My point being is that it may be worth contacting the TV manufacturer to inform them of the issue. If enough complaints are logged it may behoove the TV manufacturers engineering department to look into a probable bug in the software/firmware.  Just a thought :thinking:

Cheers!

Happy to find this group. Having the exact same issue with a Samsung TV, although no Chromecast is connected. Everything sets up fine, but as soon as you turn the power off, it all disappears.  It seems like plenty of others have had the same issue and I'm curious as to whether their issues were resolved because I'm ready to pack the system back up and return it.

I was so struggle after bought arc, one sl and sub. It’s disconnected to my samsung tv everyday when i turn off the tv. The only way to have it back is to unplugged all other hdmi connection to my tv. But thats not supposed to be the solution for long run right? Please advice me what should i do? 

Hi @matfau, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up and I know where you’re coming from. About your concern on your Sonos Arc that keeps on disconnecting with your TV. I’ll ask you first to submit a diagnostic report for us to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue. So that I can check the status of your whole Sonos system.

Let me know your thoughts with the advice above.

If there is anything else you need, please, let me know.

Hi Simon, thank you for your concern. The confirmation number is 363835780;

Hope you find the solution soon !

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @matfau, thanks for the update and for submitting a diagnostic report on this issue. Upon checking the information. It shows Interference and Audio dropouts on the Sonos system. and since you'd id some necessary troubleshooting steps, but the issue persists. I need you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps.  They may ask for other troubleshooting steps, but If it still doesn't work, then they may need to escalate the issue. 

Let us know what you have in mind with the advice above.

My issue is somewhat related, I constantly have my Sonos arc disconnect in the middle of anything that I am doing on my Samsung TV. Does it maybe once every 15 min and sometimes more if something happens like a new episode of a show starts. Replugging hdmi, replugging power, basically any form of reset is required to bring the sound back, but the fastest way i have found is that i have to turn the TV off and back on again every single time. 

Sounds like a problem in the CEC layer of the TV. Have you checked the TV for firmware updates? Which particular Samsung is it? There’s several threads in the Home Theater area about the difficulty Samsung is having in tracing down the issue in their various TVs. I’ve seen a thread that talks about the Frame series, and a firmware update that hasn’t been released to all regions yet. Have you contacted Samsung to ask them about your issue?