Answered

Sonos Arc is connected via ethernet but still needs wifi on

• 28 February 2021
  • 5 replies

Hey guys, I was hoping to get some help/clarification of what’s going on. 

setup:

lg C9-Sonos Arc+sub(gen2)+LS+RS(both are one SL)

As you all are aware my arc is connected directly to my TV and is connected vi Ethernet to my router. When I turn off the wifi on the arc my system goes haywire-surrounds don’t work and sub shuts off. When I turn it back on everything is fine. 
I have read another post and heard that wifi does need to be on even though the arc is Ethernet direct. I’m on my phone and wish I could copied it before typing this. 

now, on that forum I saw they were mentioning “WM:#” when I go into about my system all my devices show WM:0. With my arc directly connected I figured it would show a #1. If anyone can help give some clarification of what’s going that would be great. 

edit: this is link to discussion of the forum I mentioned- 

icon

Best answer by John B 28 February 2021, 13:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge +20

You need Sonosnet for the ARC to speak to your other Sonos speakers. But you do not need to connect to your Home wifi. Hence WM0 is correct.

If you "disable wifi" on the Arc you actually turn off its wireless capability, making it impossible for it to communicate with Sub and surrounds. That is why they don't work.

WM:0 indicates that a device is connecting by Ethernet or to SonosNet.  WM:1 indicates that the device is connected to your WiFi. 

I hope that helps. 

You need Sonosnet for the ARC to speak to your other Sonos speakers. But you do not need to connect to your Home wifi. Hence WM0 is correct.

I am not sure this is quite precise, although it depends whether you count direct routing within a HT system as SonosNet. 

It is possible to have a system in WiFi mode and still have an Arc-based HT system. In such a scenario, the Arc would have WM:1 and the Sub and surrounds would have WM:2.

Badge +20

I am not sure this is quite precise, although it depends whether you count direct routing within a HT system as SonosNet. 

It is possible to have a system in WiFi mode and still have an Arc-based HT system. In such a scenario, the Arc would have WM:1 and the Sub and surrounds would have WM:2.

True… but trying to make the response simple 

If you "disable wifi" on the Arc you actually turn off its wireless capability, making it impossible for it to communicate with Sub and surrounds. That is why they don't work.

WM:0 indicates that a device is connecting by Ethernet or to SonosNet.  WM:1 indicates that the device is connected to your WiFi. 

I hope that helps. 

Very much appreciated. Helps a lot.