Sonos Arc Dolby Atmos not working

• 7 February 2021
  • 12 replies

Badge

SonoS arc not playing Dolby Atmos from Phillips Tv built in apps and Fire Stick

I have the following set up

TV Phillips 65OLED754/12

SONOS ARC with SonoS Play1’s as rears

Sky Q latest 2TB box with HDR support connected to a HD Fury Arcada with the eARC out going to SonoS ARC and the HDMI out going to the HDMI 1 (ARC) on the TV.

Amazon 4K Fire Stick connected to HDMI 4 on the TV.

I’m using the HD Fury Arcada because of the lip sync issues when using Sky Q.

Issue: When watching Netflix using the built in App on the TV, programs show up as Dolby Atmos on the screen if they are in Atmos but when played they do not play in Atmos or DD 5.1.  The sound appears to only come out of the SonoS ARC with no sound from the rears.  This is the same for playing from the FireStick on programs from prime and Apple App on the FireStick which are available in Atmos (I appreciate that Netflix on the Fire stick does not provide Atmos).

The SonoS S2 app shows audio in as ‘Silence’ or occasionally nothing appears against audio in.   When connecting the Fire stick directly to the Arcana by removing the Sky Q input everything plays fine with either Dolby Atmos or DD+ showing in the SonoS S2 app.

I have set up the sound on the TV as follows:

Sound digital output set to multichannel bypass;  

Sound style set to ‘personal mode’

Speaker virtualiser set to ‘auto’ and also tried ‘on’.

Could anybody please provide advice or comment as to why I’m not getting Dolby Atmos or even Dolby Digital 5.1 when either using built in TV apps or from Fire stick 4K on HDMI 4 with the above set up.  I’m thinking of buying a HDMI switch so I can directly connect the FireStick via the Arcana but this would not provide Netflix Atmos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7

The Arcana only allows your EXTERNAL media devices to bypass your TV’s audio pass through limitations. You only have the Sky Q connected directly to the Arcana.

1. The Sky Q only supports Dolby Atmos under these circumstances: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/setting-up-dolby-atmos
  2. The Arcana will not have any effect on the audio from your TV’s internal apps. If you couldn’t get Atmos from your internal apps before the Arcana, you are not going to get it with the Arcana.
  3. You won’t get Atmos audio from the Fire TV Stick if it isn’t connected to the Arcana.
  4. You need to get an HDMI switch so you can connect both your Sky Q and Fire TV Stick to the Arcana. I am using this ROOFULL switch and it has been working great with my Arcana setup: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D3QD59P
  5. Only the latest version of the Fire TV Stick released in 2020 supports Atmos on Netflix.
Badge

Thank you for your response and I’ll have a look at the HDMI switch.
The issue I have is the Phillips TV Should support Dolby Atmos so I don’t understand why it doesn’t work.  I’ve also sent an email to Phillips and it will be interesting to see what they say.

it is certainly confusing and all I would say is thank goodness for the internet as it would be very time confusing to find out what devices support Atmos.  As you said the latest TV Fire Stick does but sky doesn’t etc.

Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 7

Do you have a Netflix premium subscription? When you play Atmos content from your TV’s internal Netflix app, what audio do you get?

Userlevel 7

Is Audio Out set to HDMI Sound System on your TV?

Badge

Yes I do have a Netflix premium subscription.  When I received the TV and went into Netflix it showed only Dolby 5.1.  I read the manual and changed the sound setting on my TV as per my original email and then when I looked through titles on Netflix they showed Atmos if they were in Atmos.  When I play them though it was obvious from the sound that they were not in Atmos in fact the rear speakers didn’t emit any sound and when looking at the SonoS app it would say in audio in ‘Silence’.  However, the actual ARC was playing .I assume in stereo.

Hence my request if anybody could throw some light on this.

Userlevel 7

After you start the Atmos content in Netflix, what does it say after “Audio In:” under the Arc information?

Badge

It says audio in: Silence.  Please see below.

Badge

Sorry, I missed one of your points yes the output is set to HDMI on the TV.

Userlevel 7

It says “Silence” while the audio is playing? What movie or show are you testing?

Badge

I’ve tried a number which are shown as Amos.  On Netflix ‘Bridgerton’, Underground 6, Firefly Lane are just a few.  On the FireStick I recently played the film Palmer on the Apple TV app..  These are all Atmos titles.

Perhaps it is something to do with the handshake between the TV Arc hdmi and the SonoS arc?

Userlevel 7

So strange. I’ve never seen anything like this before. Hopefully Philips can shed some light on this. Have you unplugged your TV and Arc from power since you have connected the Arcana?

Badge

Hi thanks for your help.  I have switched everything off and disconnected everything and then reset it all up after everything had been off for two minutes.

let’s see what Phillips has to say and I’ll post the outcome.