Sonos Arc and Sony XBR65X850B - No sound frequently

• 22 March 2021
  • 1 reply

All the Playbars stay on TV unless I change them.  The Arc says this after I turn the TV off for several minutes.  

I have a Sonos Arc connected via e-ARC HDMI.  The TV sources are a Roku Ultra via HDMI and Tivo through a receiver via HDMI.  

The problem I’ve been having is when I turn on the TV with either the Roku or Tivo, I frequently have to do all sorts of gymnastics to get the sound to come on at all and actually come out of the Arc.  I frequently have to turn the TV on and off or unplug the HDMI from the e-ARC and plug it back in, etc.  It has been frustrating.  

One thing I’ve noticed is in the App, the Arc does not stay on TV input.  After about 10 minutes after turning the TV off the input within the app for the TV says, “Success! SONOS - Brilliant Sound”...which I have no idea why or what that is.  It's not like I’ve been playing other sources of sound.  I chatted with Sonos and they checked the diagnostics, said everything looked fine and basically said, “go call Sony”.  

And, yes, “TV Autoplay” is engaged in the app.  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

So I’m going to reply to my own thread with a partial answer but the problem continues.  As it turns out, I think the switched input problem had to do with Smartthings.  Once I deleted the Sonos speakers from the Smartthings app, the input didn’t switch to “Success! Sonos - Brilliant Sound” after the TV is turned off.

HOWEVER, the sound rarely works at all when turning on the TV STILL.  So that issue  wasn’t all that wasn’t working.  I often need to turn the TV off and on to get the sound to come out of the Arc.  It doesn’t appear that this sound bar is ready for prime time based on my experiences and a quick check of these forums.  Completely disappointing considering the cost of this kit.   

If you have a Sony Bravia XBR TV, I wouldn’t recommend the Arc.