Question

Sonos apps cannot find Play 1 or 3

• 29 November 2016
  • 15 replies

I recently moved house. Plugged in my sonos 1 & 3 and surprisingly they set up straight away. The internet is approx 15mbps so i wanted to use them without a bridge. This set up was the only time i have ever got SONOS in list of networks whilst setting up. The router is in the same room as one of the speakers.
Now they work for a few days then my apps cannot find any of my speakers. Usually after trying the set up again i get it to work again but for few days only. This time none of the speakers found, i deleted the apps and downloaded again several times but still they cannot find them. I cant even get to the more options to do a diagnostic check.
I am totally frustrated as the players are sold stating bridge no longer required and and how easy they are to connect. Previously i have connected one of the speakers to the router and that didnt work.
Any help appreciated

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Dont know how to delete the above but after trying most of last night and first thing this morning i have finally got it working again for now
Well i spoke too soon. I reinstalled all speakers and was playing music early afternoon but when i just tried to go on again i get not connected message. Whenever i press the 2 buttons on sonos i dont get a steady orange light i get flashing orange light. Is this why i cannot find sonos in list of wifi networks?
Checked internet and speed is showing 15mbps.
Its so frustrating
I did do a diagnostic test-6803510 if that makes sense to anyone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
HI bobo2009,

The Sonos wireless network will only show up during the initial system setup. Once your system has been set up, you'll need to choose the option to connect to an existing system instead of the option to set up a new one.

In order to get your Sonos speakers connected to a new wireless network you'll need to enter in the new wireless network's name and password. Please start by wiring one of your speakers in to your new router with an ethernet cable. This is only temporarily but should help you connect to your system. Once connected you can go through the wireless setup process which will teach your Sonos system how to connect to your new router. You can find the wireless setup menu in the Sonos settings menu under advanced settings.

If you're unable to get connected to your system, please try the steps in this guide.
I have tried the steps in your link many times with no success.
For some reason today when i moved the play one into the same room as the router it let me set up as a new system even though it had been connected previously and i was able to connect the play 3 too. Now none can be found.
I have previously tried setting the system up wiring one of the speakers with an ethernet and was unsuccessful too.

Each time i get it going again i am lucky if it lasts for a couple of days before it cannot be found again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have tried the steps in your link many times with no success.
For some reason today when i moved the play one into the same room as the router it let me set up as a new system even though it had been connected previously and i was able to connect the play 3 too. Now none can be found.
I have previously tried setting the system up wiring one of the speakers with an ethernet and was unsuccessful too.

Each time i get it going again i am lucky if it lasts for a couple of days before it cannot be found again.

Have you tried different controllers or double checking that your phone is connected to the correct wireless network?
I have sonos app on my iphone and iPad, i have deleted and reinstalled the apps many times.
They are both connected to my secure wifi network, theres no other network here they connect to.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have sonos app on my iphone and iPad, i have deleted and reinstalled the apps many times.
They are both connected to my secure wifi network, theres no other network here they connect to.

In this case it would be best to continue troubleshooting over the phone. Please give us a call and reference case number: 161128-001475. Our phone number and hours can be found here.
So was there nothing from the diagnostic test number that i noted above?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So was there nothing from the diagnostic test number that i noted above?

The diagnostic report didn't have any information from your Sonos system because it wasn't communicating with it. If you're not able to connect to the system even when a component is wired in, there's likely some network troubleshooting that to do which is best done over the phone.
Mmmm thanks but my reason for joining the community was because i wanted to avoid having to phone.
Maybe its time i see what else is out there, Sonos has proved to be anything but 'plug, connect, stream' its either app cant find speakers, skipping songs or cant connect to deezer
With respect, your understanding of the system is clearly limited, as you keep quoting internet speeds, which are completely irrelevant to your issues. You probably have local network issues and if you had not abandoned the Bridge you would probably not have had any problems. It is of course your right to refuse the help and support offered.
You have network issues. Up to you if you decide to refuse the most appropriate type of support.
Apologies for accidental double post. I thought the first had not gone through.
With respect, your understanding of the system is clearly limited, as you keep quoting internet speeds, which are completely irrelevant to your issues. You probably have local network issues and if you had not abandoned the Bridge you would probably not have had any problems. It is of course your right to refuse the help and support offered.

'With respect' i only used the bridge at my previous address because it was rural and the internet wasn't great-even then nearly every time i used Sonos i had to turn wifi off then on again as the apps usually failed to connect. The only support you have given is basically to tell me to telephone. I had already tried all the 'help' options with the app.
I haven't had any issues with my network when it comes to downloading Sky, surfing the net.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

'With respect' i only used the bridge at my previous address because it was rural and the internet wasn't great-even then nearly every time i used Sonos i had to turn wifi off then on again as the apps usually failed to connect. The only support you have given is basically to tell me to telephone. I had already tried all the 'help' options with the app.
I haven't had any issues with my network when it comes to downloading Sky, surfing the net.

Unfortunately it is very hard for us being remote from your system to be able to help in the absence of a detailed description of your system.

Usually the problems people have are with duplicate IP addresses which can and do cause very unexpected and frustrating behaviour including but not limited to the problems you are having. Other issues may be around wireless interference which could be because SonosNet is broadcasting on the same channel as your Wi-Fi and/or other sources of radio interference - EG microwave, DECT phones, baby monitors, neighbour's Wi-Fi.

The reason that John B suggested that you had a less than complete understanding of how Sonos functions is that, in so far as the Sonos system within your house is concerned, the speed of the internet is completely irrelevant - Your router creates a wireless network to which your Sonos devices connect - If you have even 1 Sonos device hard wired to your router then a SonosNet network will also be available for the Sonos units to connect. At this point the Internet (ie from your router to the WWW) is not involved - you could cut the wire with scissors and your Sonos system would still be available and visible on your network that is provided by your router.

Depending on how you have your system set-up you may have issues where the signal strength at each Sonos player is too weak - If they are far apart or you have very thick walls.

So the use of the Bridge has nothing to do with the internet but everything to do with the wireless network in place. a bridge will likely help when you have a large property and/or barriers to your Wi-Fi signal.