Answered

Sonos app WiFi control issue

• 13 June 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi, I've tried looking online for the answer to my question but had no luck. I'm hoping someone more technical can help me.

I have a Sonos (5) which I've connected to the router by ethernet. I will eventually add other Sonos speakers which I believe will connect via WiFi and would mean the Sonos system will have its own WiFi network, thanks to the 5 being connected by ethernet.

The issue I'm having is controlling the 5 via the app in the other side of the house. The WiFi is poor here. I have tried a WiFi extender but its sets up a separate network e.g network-EXT and the Sonos doesn't like this. It also keeps me on the -EXT connection despite me moving myself next to the router (despite the - EXT being a slower connection)

How can I fix this please? I realise it's a WiFi issue.

1. Would adding a new speaker in this part of the house allow me to control better on the app or will I need to be nearer the router?

2. If I need to be nearer the router, meaning extending the signal, what's the best way for this? I want an extender that automatically switches to the best WiFi signal without setting up a new network.

I'm hoping just adding a speaker will resolve this issue.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Corry P 16 June 2021, 12:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Which model WiFi router are you using? Which extender?

Yes, SONOS players including an ethernet port will build their own private wireless network. Battery powered units, such as ROAM and MOVE do not have ethernet ports and must use WiFi. Since the SONOS network is private, pad/phone must be able to use WiFi at locations where you want to control the system -- regardless of how the SONOS units connect with each other.

How old is your current WiFi router? New technology is much more effective than the older units. In my area we can simply take the older units to our ISP (the cable company) store for an over the counter exchange. In many situations the new boxes work miracles.

Some older technology products sold as an “extender” are very stale technology and not very effective.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Fizzleton 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sonos recommends the use of a Mesh WiFi system to extend your range, though if you are adding to your existing router rather than replacing it, any mesh system should be configured to operate in Bridge/AP mode so it doesn’t create a second network. This is a simple setting to change on the mesh’s companion app, though Google Mesh seems to be reticent to do so.

Mesh WiFi systems are much more robust than extenders and use a different technology to provide exactly the kind of WiFi you need.

This is all assuming your router, as asked by @buzz, is up to date. If it isn’t, you may be able to get the WiFi coverage you need at a lower cost by getting the router replaced.

Thanks for your answers.

It's all sorted now. I upgraded my router from a Plusnet standard router to a BT Home Hub 6 off eBay. This itself has increased the WiFi signal. I've also added a TP-link powerline WiFi extender. This connects to the router via ethernet at one end and then the WiFi extender can be plugged in at the other side of the house. The powerline uses the earth wiring through the house which acts as an ethernet connection. I can also clone the existing WiFi so a new network isn't created. I can get a WiFi signal halfway down the garden and the Sonos system is happy. I'm very pleased and hope this helps someone else. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Fizzleton 

Glad to hear you found a solution!