Sonos app volume increases & decreases on its own.

• 24 March 2017
  • 28 replies

I've noticed this problem when switching from spotify to sonos app. Volume will increase an decrease all by itself. Sometimes it will increase to full volume which is annoying to say the least. Anyone have a solution to resolve the problem? This seems to be a problem experienced by other users as well.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

I noticed, when "grouping" several SONOS components this problem is realy serious. The "link" between Spotify and SONOS is NOT perfect !
I have been having this issue with my playbar for the last few months. I cannot get the volume to stop increasing. I have now called Sonos 4-5 times and they all tell me a different solution but nothing has worked. I want to throw all of this expensive equipment out the window.
I have this issue intermittently on my playbar as well. really infuriating.
I had the same yesterday on my PLay5 and now the sound is only super super low. Hany clue on how to solve this issue?
I just purchased the Play:5 two days ago and I am having this issue. I'm not happy. It looks like this issue has been reported at least as far back as TWO YEARS ago. So why is it still happening, Sonos? This tells me you do not listen to your customers. It is not pleasant to have my Play:5 automatically increase to full volume, then the app freezing and not responding and I'm left with minor ear pain and angry neighbors as I rush to turn it down.
I just purchased the Play:5 two days ago and I am having this issue. I'm not happy. It looks like this issue has been reported at least as far back as TWO YEARS ago. So why is it still happening, Sonos? This tells me you do not listen to your customers. It is not pleasant to have my Play:5 automatically increase to full volume, then the app freezing and not responding and I'm left with minor ear pain and angry neighbors as I rush to turn it down.

I believe the Spotify integration was pretty recent. Hopefully Sonos & Spotify will work out the bugs soon. I'd love to see Pandora integration as well.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi everyone. Currently there is an issue related to the lock screen controls on the Spotify app when using Spotify Connect to a Sonos speaker via an iOS device. If you've used the hardware buttons on your iPhone/iPad to increase the volume in another app, this can cause the volume to shoot up when you Connect to a speaker. We have also seen it that the Sonos and Spotify apps 'steal' volume levels from each other. This is something we are working to resolve in conjunction with Spotify. In the meantime you can avoid complication by not using the hard button or lock screen volume controls but just controlling the volume through the Spotify app itself.
Is there an ETA on a fix? I appreciate the workaround, but you guys have to realize what a nightmare this still is for the end user, particularly those who assume simple matters like volume adjustment are going to perform without any issues. "Volume Control Bug" is a new kind of first world problem and I'm shocked it found its way past QA. Please fix this. I just landed a noise complaint from my neighbors because of this bug.
The problem is that you can't control sonos volume from within the spotify app, which is just plain stupid. A music streaming service with no volume control! I do not want to use the hardware volume control buttons, so I have the sonos app with its slider volume control. After I set the volume, I watched the slider go up and down and all around by itself!
Thanks thread, for reassuring me this isn't an issue that will never be solved.

@hoopster: It's only doing that when you've got the Spotify AND the Sonos app open. They "steal" eachother's volume settings and run with it.

@hoopster: when you click the "Devices available" link at the bottom of the Spotify app, you can contol the volume! Cool.
Thank you lucbloom for that information. I did find it where you said it would be. That's good, but it belongs on the Home page!
I'm returning all 3 of the speakers I bought today. It's ridiculous that after spending £1000+ on audio equipment the volume controls don't work.
Hi Sonos.

Here is me trying to restrain my self:

I have a 1 year old daughter who just damaged her left ear thanks to this issue. Chances are she has gotten permanent damage in her ear. I blamed myself initially, however, I ultimately blame you. You see, all I did was to open the Sonos app while music was playing via Spotify. The volume controls freaked out and started going up and down for a few seconds, and finally only went up and stopped on the highest volume.

Maximum volume is not preferable when an infant is sitting a few feet from the speakers. It's dangerously high. This should not be able to happen without the user manually raising the volume slider all the way up. But it did. And it hurt my child. The doctors are saying that there is no telling as of yet how severe the damages might be. Time will tell.

The worst thing about this? That you have been aware of this bug and have not poured every resource in it to fix it. I'm not so certain that you understand how critical it is for you to fix this bug; a bug that never should have been there to begin with, and definitely should not have passed QA.

Now, here is what I am going to do. I am gonna give you til Friday to either sort this issue out and push a fix, or I will go to the Swedish news outlets to tell my story and simultaneiusly look into this incident with my lawyer from a legal standpoint.

I'm not looking for revenge or trying to make you pay. I usually love your products. My mission now is to make sure no one else ever gets hurt by this major issue. There should never be any volume bugs on sound systems, ever. Our ears are too damn valuable for them to get hurt by poor engineering and lazy coding.

I would like for you to get back to me asap on this matter, and confirm that you will pour every available resource into fixing this. That might help me keep any last bit of respect that I still have to you.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Sonos.

Here is me trying to restrain my self:

I have a 1 year old daughter who just damaged her left ear thanks to this issue. Chances are she has gotten permanent damage in her ear. I blamed myself initially, however, I ultimately blame you. You see, all I did was to open the Sonos app while music was playing via Spotify. The volume controls freaked out and started going up and down for a few seconds, and finally only went up and stopped on the highest volume.

Maximum volume is not preferable when an infant is sitting a few feet from the speakers. It's dangerously high. This should not be able to happen without the user manually raising the volume slider all the way up. But it did. And it hurt my child. The doctors are saying that there is no telling as of yet how severe the damages might be. Time will tell.

The worst thing about this? That you have been aware of this bug and have not poured every resource in it to fix it. I'm not so certain that you understand how critical it is for you to fix this bug; a bug that never should have been there to begin with, and definitely should not have passed QA.

Now, here is what I am going to do. I am gonna give you til Friday to either sort this issue out and push a fix, or I will go to the Swedish news outlets to tell my story and simultaneiusly look into this incident with my lawyer from a legal standpoint.

I'm not looking for revenge or trying to make you pay. I usually love your products. My mission now is to make sure no one else ever gets hurt by this major issue. There should never be any volume bugs on sound systems, ever. Our ears are too damn valuable for them to get hurt by poor engineering and lazy coding.

I would like for you to get back to me asap on this matter, and confirm that you will pour every available resource into fixing this. That might help me keep any last bit of respect that I still have to you.

Hi Shapic, we have sent you a private message with the ticket number under which we will be contacting you in regards to the above.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone. Currently there is an issue related to the lock screen controls on the Spotify app when using Spotify Connect to a Sonos speaker via an iOS device. If you've used the hardware buttons on your iPhone/iPad to increase the volume in another app, this can cause the volume to shoot up when you Connect to a speaker. We have also seen it that the Sonos and Spotify apps 'steal' volume levels from each other. This is something we are working to resolve in conjunction with Spotify. In the meantime you can avoid complication by not using the hard button or lock screen volume controls but just controlling the volume through the Spotify app itself.

We've been working on this and with the recent 7.3 update this behavior should be a lot better. If you'd have any trouble with this in the past and turned off your volume controls as advised, go ahead and turn them back on if you'd like and let us know how it goes.
I'm having the same kind of issue with a Play 1 and the Sonos app on an iPhone 7. The volume on lock screen is never the same as the volume within the Sonos app.This problem is widespread so it happens when playing a song stored on my iPhone or when streaming radio on SiriusXM. A tech guy at Sonos told me that they will work on a solution to that very frustrating issue since they've been able to reproduce themselves It's been more than a month and still no changes though... Here are some screenshots.

Frank
Badge
This has happened to me twice in the past month. I was on a previous beta version and now I am on the 8.0 beta version. The first time I was shocked to say the least and thought I must have done something wrong but what could I have possibly done... hit the maximum volume by mistake? I then tried to recreate the mistake and I could not get the music to maximum in a single or even double motion, swipe, click, etc. It wasn't me. Then first thing early this morning, after a long weekend away, I went to play a Pandora channel on the everywhere group - and it happened.

I didn't think this was a Spotify problem as I don't subscribe to Spotify. My nephew was dog sitting at our house and he uses Spotify. I noticed before the sonic-boom of volume that a group of about 8 of my Sonos devices were grouped and that the last thing playing was a Spotify song, channel or playlist on that group. Therefore, maybe it is a Spotify/Sonos issue. I can not be certain that the first time this happened it was a similar Nephew weekend.

This problem is amplified (pun intended) by the fact that I have 14 Sonos devices throughout our house. I like music everywhere but at lower volumes. Well when it went to full blast this time I got angry and my wife darn near had a heart attack, she was getting into the shower and did slip; luckily she caught her self before falling completely. I spilled my coffee and dropped my phone and had the 1 to 2 second "what is happening" paralysis and then tried to think of the fasted way to stop the offending deafening unwanted involuntary audio torture. With my phone now under the table I leaped for the closest device in the kitchen and hit the pause button. Geezeus!!! "What the hell just happened?! Needlessly to say, this is not healthy nor is this a feature anyone would want. Now, I question if anything is damaged; my phone, the speakers cones, voice coils, my damn ears, my wife's ribs?!

I will have no way of testing to see if any of my devices are damaged - blow speakers or damaged voice coils. I will always have that thought in my head now when I hear the slightest distortion anywhere. This is one bad problem that seams to have a simple programming fix - if you are switching from Spotify to anything else - first set then volume to low!

I would like every employee at Sonos to have their spouse, room mate or significant other group all the devices, pause the source, set every single device to maximum volume and then.... wait until the most in-opportune moment and hit PLAY - see what happens and what it feels like. Wait - a better idea - groups every single Sonos device at the company headquarters and executive offices and then do it! I'd like to continue to rant but I have to go to my physiologist appointment now for my PTSD treatment.

Love,
One pissed-off Sonos customer.
Add me to the pissed off list. I have been using Sonos for years. No changes in software and I tried numberous things to rectify ... same issue. I have a Conrad Johnson system with twin 400 watt mono blocks and B&W speakers. When this happened it started to shake things in my house.
PS I am on version 8.2.2
I would appreciate any instructions on this issue. When I turn down the speakers using the sonos app, the volume immediately goes back up to maximum volume. My children use several streaming apps. I simply use TuneIn Radio. My children are miles from here at college. Are you saying that I must contact them to ask them to reset their spotify apps before spotify will play according to the sonos instructions?

In my case, this is TuneIn Radio. I do not recall ever changing the volume on this app, as I only know how to use the Sonos apps. I have turned off the Sonos speakers, using the computer player which leaves much to be desired.

The Sonos speakers are totally a waste of time, money if they constantly reset themselves to full volume. This started with me this weekend. I do not recall it happening before.

But, if this cannot be fixed at the Sonos controls, then I think you need to refund every one of the purchases of this product. They are simply unusable. I was considering purchasing additional products for my use, however, I will not now make such purchases such as a sound bar or additional speakers w the new concierge service. You simply cannot put products out there that don't integrate with the streaming services that you rely on to serve up the underlying product. SIMPLY PUT: YOUR PRODUCTS DO NOT WORK IF YOU CAN'T USE THE CONTROLS ON YOUR PRODUCT. It is not a problem of the underlying streaming services. They are the base source of music. YOU MUST FIX THIS VOLUME CONTROL ISSUE TO HAVE RELIABLE PRODUCTS ACCORDING TO YOUR SERVICE GUARANTEE.

You might just find returns in mass due to this issue if not fixed immediately. This is your problem regarding integration of the product(s), whether spotify, tuneIn Radio, or whatever.

THIS IS A MADDENING ISSUE RENDERING THE PRODUCT UNRELIABLE AND INEFFECTIVE FOR USE. I will be circulating to every single 3rd party installation company my sentiments in order to stop their use of this product until it is fixed. They put these in homes as the single source of players in Atlanta. THEY ALL NEED TO BE ALERTED TO THIS ISSUE.

Patricia Byce
404-202-8649
Ansley Atlanta Real Estate
GA Licensed Agent | GA Licensed Homebuilder
Atlanta, GA
I have a same issue with my Playbar and when the volume jumps above 80 it affects my other 2 Play5s. I'll be reaching out to Sonos support for a fix or remediation.
This seems to be a resolved issue that has come back... I never used to have this issues at all before, and within the past month I’ve had this exact issue at least 5 or 6 times. I thought it was my roommate but now that she’s been gone for a few days and I found this thread, I know it wasn’t. I have a Play:1 and Play:3 and have used Spotify linked through both for the past ~1 yr, and before the past few months, never had any issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
This seems to be a resolved issue that has come back... I never used to have this issues at all before, and within the past month I’ve had this exact issue at least 5 or 6 times. I thought it was my roommate but now that she’s been gone for a few days and I found this thread, I know it wasn’t. I have a Play:1 and Play:3 and have used Spotify linked through both for the past ~1 yr, and before the past few months, never had any issues.

Are you using Spotify direct control, or sharing accounts? It's possible that your roommate was using Spotify away from your home, and didn't change the audio output on the app, it will still play on your Sonos. I've done this by accident. I tried to play Spotify on my phone, didn't hear anything so I turned the volume up. Suddenly my wife was yelling at me from the bedroom where the music was playing quite loudly.

Are you using Spotify direct control, or sharing accounts? It's possible that your roommate was using Spotify away from your home, and didn't change the audio output on the app, it will still play on your Sonos. I've done this by accident. I tried to play Spotify on my phone, didn't hear anything so I turned the volume up. Suddenly my wife was yelling at me from the bedroom where the music was playing quite loudly.

I’m the only one with access to my Spotify account. I find the issue is when I switch from Spotify to Sonos to control the volume, and it will shoot up without my having done anything. I think part of the problem was that I was the physical volume manipulation was messing with it, so I turned off that function in the sonos app settings in the iPhone settings. That didn’t help though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’m the only one with access to my Spotify account. I find the issue is when I switch from Spotify to Sonos to control the volume, and it will shoot up without my having done anything. I think part of the problem was that I was the physical volume manipulation was messing with it, so I turned off that function in the sonos app settings in the iPhone settings. That didn’t help though.

At this point I think it would be best to have our phone team take a look at this live. Please give us a call, you can find our phone number and hours here.