Sonos app skips to next song before the current one has finished playing

Show first post

413 replies

Userlevel 1
Don’t apologize for the long post @Webspinur , I appreciate the help as I too have spent many frustrating hours on this problem. Touch wood, the no auto lock has been working but agree this is not the solution. Not a good experience for $750 in speakers. Definitely makes me think twice about getting the Playbar.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it ?? It’s been a month or so since I started regularly making sure I took my iPhone OFF of Auto-Lock by selecting “Never” for screen timeout and it is still working smoothly with NO SKIPS or problems.

To find out if the problem is still there after the latest update about 7 days ago or so, just now I left the Auto-Lock on just 15 mins ago and just like clockwork by song 2 it started skipping all over the place. So THERE IS NO FIX WITH LATEST UPDATE.

Also, I noticed that when it started skipping it also MUTED a couple speakers and then a minute later with no interference from me they came back on. So that’s a new problem.

That said, TURNING OFF AUTO-LOCK WORKS as I have had no issues this past 30 days since I last posted about trying the disabling of the screen timeout feature of Apple devices.

DEAR SONOS TEAM: This is NOT THE ANSWER to our collective problem. We shouldn’t have to leave our screens on permanently for it to work. I don’t like leaving my iPhone or Ipad screen on for hours. The screen timeout needs to be useable by us users so can you please sort this?
My system also works fine with Autolock switched off on both iPhones that we use on the system.
Any update has NOT cured this very annoying fault.
I'm also getting this problem with spotify skipping tracks or stopping completely, diagnostic 313081834
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm also getting this problem with spotify skipping tracks or stopping completely, diagnostic 313081834

Thanks for sending in the report. I see that there is a high level of wireless interfernece showing up in your report. Try changing the wireless channel on your Sonos system and see if that helps. If not, please reach out to our phone team who can take over from here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

If you've updated your systems and are still running into playback issues from tracks stored on your iOS devices, please reach out to our phone teams who can continue the investigation on a case by case basis. You can find our phone number and hours here.
I have tried all the channel changes, and moving things with no avail. No-one has responded to my diagnostic report yet, but all the answers seem the same on here.
I can’t see what difference a phone call will make. Also, I am out of the house from 7am till 7pm Monday to Friday so have little to no opportunity to call anyway. Surely the problem is programming related as by changed a small aspect on our iPhones, the problem goes away?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have tried all the channel changes, and moving things with no avail. No-one has responded to my diagnostic report yet, but all the answers seem the same on here.
I can’t see what difference a phone call will make. Also, I am out of the house from 7am till 7pm Monday to Friday so have little to no opportunity to call anyway. Surely the problem is programming related as by changed a small aspect on our iPhones, the problem goes away?

There's no obvious cause for the symptoms that I can see in your report. Our phone team can take a look and escalate issues to the upper tiers of support if needed. This is how eventual software patches get created when needed. It seems as if the last patch works for some, but not all folks so there's likely more investigating to be done. If there is an issue discovered, we'll likely release a new patch in the future.
I have also been experiencing the same problem and as I listen to a lot of the same music (opera) I can also report it cuts out at EXACTLY the same place in each track, every time that track is played, around the 12:40 minute mark. To the same note. I cannot and will not believe this is due to random wireless interference, it's obviously something programmed in. It's been going on for months now and has effectively made my system unusable. Really, really disappointed with the response from tech support as well, who keep insisting it's to do with wireless, despite the fact I never had this problem before the upgrade and it's cutting out on the same tracks at exactly the same time. There is quite clearly a built in timer - which may or may not be triggered by intermittent connectivity, which is forcing a failover to the next track as a new "feature" introduced by Sonos in the update, which has not been fixed. As a programmer and a distributed systems architect I do know a bit about this stuff. I am running Sonos off my Surface Pro so it's definitely not a Mac issue either, and I'm recommending other people not to go near Sonos.
Same issues, quite annoying!

Diagnostic ID - 1295435973

Please help!
I have exactly the same issue. Diagnostic number 109474703.

I don’t think that a Wi-Fi interference answer helps. As other users have mentioned, the app was working before, nothing have changed with the access point or the number of devices around the place where I heard music. Songs skip at same time. We are in a world where consumer focused companies have moved consumers to a Wi-Fi world, so yes a lot of transmitters and devices on same frecuencies and channels are out there, so FIX how you handle the connection!!!
While normally I'd agree, the simple fact is that your local wifi changes all the time, without you making changes at all. Neighbors set up new networks, that old microwave starts leaking RF, somebody installs a non wifi device like DECT, or a baby monitor, or for heavens sake, even sunspots. Yes, you've not changed anything in your setup, but there are lots of outside influences that affect your local network.

It's a great place to start. I'd also agree that it's not the silver bullet answer. These symptoms can be caused by a multitude of things, some within the Sonos software, some not. It makes sense to rule out as many as you possibly can, when you're attempting to resolve your local issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same issues, quite annoying!

Diagnostic ID - 1295435973

Please help!

Hi there,

Thanks for sending in the report. There is some wireless interference showing up between your Playbar and Sub. This would come from a device operating on the 5 ghz wireless band. Common sources of this type of interference include cordless phones, wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors and wireless printers. Try moving away and such devices you find.

Secondly, it looks like you are streaming audio from your iOS device's storage. There's currently an issue that causes playback errors from iOS devices when you have a non-Sonos AirPlay device on your network, and your iOS device goes into auto lock. You can get things working again by disabling AirPlay on and non-Sonos devices you have, or by disabling auto lock int he iOS settings menu under display and brightness. It might be a better idea to sync your iOS device's library with the iTunes on a computer, then set up a music share. This would bypass the issue entirely.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I don’t think that a Wi-Fi interference answer helps. As other users have mentioned, the app was working before, nothing have changed with the access point or the number of devices around the place where I heard music. Songs skip at same time. We are in a world where consumer focused companies have moved consumers to a Wi-Fi world, so yes a lot of transmitters and devices on same frecuencies and channels are out there, so FIX how you handle the connection!!!

Hi Charles M,

I see in your report that your speaker has a pretty weak connection to your wireless network. This could be due to range, or interference from nearby networks, or both. How far from your router is your speaker? Generally, the wireless range is around 35-40 feet, but that can depend on the environment.

Also, there are some wireless networks in close range that are running on the same wireless channel as your own. This can make it hard for your speaker to stay connected. Please try changing your router's wireless channel to 6 and see if that helps.

Hi Charles M,

I see in your report that your speaker has a pretty weak connection to your wireless network. This could be due to range, or interference from nearby networks, or both. How far from your router is your speaker? Generally, the wireless range is around 35-40 feet, but that can depend on the environment.

Also, there are some wireless networks in close range that are running on the same wireless channel as your own. This can make it hard for your speaker to stay connected. Please try changing your router's wireless channel to 6 and see if that helps.

Hello Jeff.

The speaker is exactly 2 inches away from the Access Point where it gets connected, so i don't think that would be the issue. The device where I get the music play is like 5 feet from it and gets a -40 dBm (or lower) signal strength from the AP. The readings right next to the speaker are around -20 dBm, which you know, it's a great value for signal strength. At 2.4MHz, which is the used frequency by the speaker, there are another 10 networks, some of them already on channel 6, so no guarantee that this will work either. The AP has been transmitting on channel 6 since months ago without giving problems to the speaker. Things started after last Sonos app update.
It’s not SONOS, it’s IOS! Thanks APPLE for running a huge monopoly that is able to destroy the credibility of a brilliant company as cool as SONOS! 😠 It’s not the first time they do this and it won’t be the last!
It isn't my scenario, I'm using Android and no OS updates have been released since last December, where last stable version was released. And just to add something else to the equation, I have changed the AP to channel 6 as suggested. The result is the same. Sometimes I can even hear a song and after 12 to 20 seconds it jumps to the next as a never ending intro which doesn’t sound. I have tried getting into spotify and using the play on “available devices” options and works with no jumping. So it gets me back to a Sonos app issue.
Then go ahead and submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

There are many differing issues that will look similar, in terms of symptoms. Yours is evidently different than others. Provide Sonos the opportunity to look in to it, and they may be able to come up with an answer to assist you.
Diagnostic #652506993
Since the last update, yesterday I'm having the problem of a song partially playing then skipping to the next when playing from a stored playlist. Nothing else has changed. It is happening on both this iphone and on my ipad. Turning off the autolock seems to work on the iphone. I've used the speakers for years without any issue until this newest update.
SONOS TEAM. This is ABSOLUTELY NOT due to wifi issues. The songs drop at the same point every time, regardless of whether I am next to the AP or in a different room. Get your act together and fix this.
Same problem. Diagnostics 814082233.
I have had my Sonos system for a few years now and I have been experiencing this issue from the beginning. I started with a Samsung S6 and am currently on an S8. As with others, steaming from something like Pandora, iHeart or Amazon always
works fine. However, when streaming music from my phone, it plays the first song then skips the last 15-40 seconds of every song after that. Additionally, it has had the problem of completely stopping about 20-30 minutes into playback from the phone. When this happens, I get back into the phone and Sonos immediately says that it's reconnecting with the wifi. It then picks up in the middle of a completely different song. I have always felt this was BS as the phone has a direct line to the wifi about 15 feet away. There is no way it was losing connection.

Anyway, I have popped in here about once a year to see if any progress has been made and, as usual, it appears that is a big NOPE! I have been reading through some of the more recent posts and noted that many of the iPhone users seem to have had some luck with disabling the screen lock. Tonight, I thought I would give this a try while I was working out. Samsung doesn't allow you to disable screen lock. Instead, I can only set it for a maximum of a 10-minute delay. So, I made sure to toggle the screen in Sonos every 10 minutes or so to keep the phone active. Lo and behold, it worked. It played all the songs to the end and never stopped once. I will continue this moving forward to see if it is consistent.

Like so many others here, I have always felt this was an app issue. I have a strong router/wifi signal and I'm in a very close line of sight when working out. There is no way this is interference. The only thing that changed tonight was the fact that I kept the screen open and active. If this continues to work for me, then the proof is in the pudding. It is an app issue that can't properly stream music from the phone when the screen is locked. As other users have pointed out, there is no way that all of those people out there with this problem are experiencing interference. It just doesn't compute, statistically. Messing with my phone every 10 minutes will be a hassle and I shouldn't have to do it. But if it works for my music, then so be it - for now.

Please, Sonos, fix this issue
I have had my Sonos system for a few years now and I have been experiencing this issue from the beginning. I started with a Samsung S6 and am currently on an S8. As with others, steaming from something like Pandora, iHeart or Amazon always
works fine. However, when streaming music from my phone, it plays the first song then skips the last 15-40 seconds of every song after that. Additionally, it has had the problem of completely stopping about 20-30 minutes into playback from the phone. When this happens, I get back into the phone and Sonos immediately says that it's reconnecting with the wifi. It then picks up in the middle of a completely different song. I have always felt this was BS as the phone has a direct line to the wifi about 15 feet away. There is no way it was losing connection.

Anyway, I have popped in here about once a year to see if any progress has been made and, as usual, it appears that is a big NOPE! I have been reading through some of the more recent posts and noted that many of the iPhone users seem to have had some luck with disabling the screen lock. Tonight, I thought I would give this a try while I was working out. Samsung doesn't allow you to disable screen lock. Instead, I can only set it for a maximum of a 10-minute delay. So, I made sure to toggle the screen in Sonos every 10 minutes or so to keep the phone active. Lo and behold, it worked. It played all the songs to the end and never stopped once. I will continue this moving forward to see if it is consistent.

Like so many others here, I have always felt this was an app issue. I have a strong router/wifi signal and I'm in a very close line of sight when working out. There is no way this is interference. The only thing that changed tonight was the fact that I kept the screen open and active. If this continues to work for me, then the proof is in the pudding. It is an app issue that can't properly stream music from the phone when the screen is locked. As other users have pointed out, there is no way that all of those people out there with this problem are experiencing interference. It just doesn't compute, statistically. Messing with my phone every 10 minutes will be a hassle and I shouldn't have to do it. But if it works for my music, then so be it - for now.

Please, Sonos, fix this issue

I am using and iPhone X, with the current updates on my iphone and Sonos. I have this same problem and I tested the scenario Stephone_D_118 describes above and he is correct. I agree it is an app issue. If I keep the app alive the songs play perfectly all the way through. If I let the screen lock and the iphone sit untouched, the app starts skipping in the middle of every song. If I let the iphone sit untouched through 3 songs, it will stop playing. SONOS, we need some help with this issue.
Same issue here. Please fix
Submitted diagnostic 640900158
Hi, I'm having this problem too. I have a new Sonos and am streaming from the app, or from spotify, on my iphone. I have the autolock disabled, crossfade disabled, battery saver off and no connection problems. Every track cuts out a little before the end and goes onto the next one. Sometimes there's an error message saying 'unable to connect', but not always. Diagnostics = 2087776113. Please help!
I am reporting the same issue.
I submitted a diagnostic #1179076063