Sonos app skips to next song before the current one has finished playing

I just got this system set up and have only noticed one issue. I have the Play 3's and they are connected with the bridge. When I'm listening to music using the Sonos app i've noticed that before a song fully finishes it skips to the next song. I can't seem figure out wants going on. I'm guessing it must be a setting that i need to change. Any help would be great.

405 replies

Badge +1
This is an issue that quite a few people (including me!) are having. It is all to do with what Wifi Channel your device is subscribing too. 

Be off submitting a diagnostic to Sonos (when they reply on here) and they will probably sort it :)
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hi Michael, 

in order for us to have a closer look and identify the issue, could you please submit a system diagnostics within 20 minutes of seeing this issue and respond with the confirmation number? 

How to submit a system diagnostics

Regards, 

Daniel H. 
Hello Sonos, i have the same problem. Im using two play:3's and they skip random to the next song with Spotify on my Macbook. I have made an system diagnostic, the ref number is : 3382352 
Maybe the problem is my new Play:3 , im using that now for 2 weeks. Hope u guys can help me!
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hi Serge, 

have you tried changing the Sonos' wireless channel yet to see if that improves the situation ? 

Also, if you wire a PLAY:3 to your router instead of the BRIDGE, does that solve the issue? 

Regards, 

Daniel H. 
Daniel H wrote:

Hi Serge, 

have you tried changing the Sonos' wireless channel yet to see if that improves the situation ? 

Also, if you wire a PLAY:3 to your router instead of the BRIDGE, does that solve the issue? 

Regards, 

Daniel H. 

I have tried changing the channel but unfortunately it didnt help.
When i wire my play:3 to the router en turn of the bridge I have no problem at all.  (not yet and trying for an hour now)
It has to be something between the play:3's and the bridge i think?
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Daniel H wrote:

Hi Serge, 

Regards, 

Daniel H. 

It looks like something is interfering with the BRIDGE that causes packet loss on the wireless transmission towards the wireless PLAY:3.

How far is the BRIDGE located away from the router and what other wireless devices do you own? 
Daniel H wrote:

Hi Serge, 

Regards, 

Daniel H. 

the distance beween bridge and router is almost nothing. They are next to eachother. 
I didnt had the problem when i had just 1 play:3. But now i have 2. (1 downstairs and 1 downstairs)
My other wireless devices are: LG TV, Apple TV, 2 macbooks, 2 iphones

in 2 weeks my internet provider will upgrade my connection and i will get a new router. Maybe it will fix the problem but if there is a problem between the bridge and play:3 it will hapen agian i think.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Daniel H wrote:

Hi Serge, 

Regards, 

Daniel H. 

Hi Serge, 

let's see how things will be with the new router. 

In the meantime, please try moving the BRIDGE as far away from the router as possible in order to stabilize the connection to the 3's
Userlevel 1
I am having the same problem. As I type this my system is skipping songs like it is possessed. Nope, now it stopped altogether. Ugh. Anyone wanna buy a SONOS system for cheap? Seriously, it played two albums in about 4 minutes with all the skipping. Bridge is about 20 feet from my only speaker and my iPhone is 10 feet from the bridge. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Wait, it is playing again now. Nope, stopped again. :( I should point out that it loses the system daily so I have to reset it every time I try to use it. Maybe I just got a lemon?
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Bob wrote:

I am having the same problem. As I type this my system is skipping songs like it is possessed. Nope, now it stopped altogether. Ugh. Anyone wanna buy a SONOS system for cheap? Seriously, it played two albums in about 4 minutes with all the skipping. Bridge is about 20 feet from my only speaker and my iPhone is 10 feet from the bridge. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Wait, it is playing again now. Nope, stopped again. :( I should point out that it loses the system daily so I have to reset it every time I try to use it. Maybe I just got a lemon?

Hi Bob, 

in order for us to have a closer look and identify the issue, could you please submit a system diagnostics within 20 minutes of seeing this issue and respond to this post with the confirmation number? 

How to submit a system diagnostics

Regards, 

Daniel H. 

Same problem for me, but I have planned a repositioning of the router, if the problem will persist I'll submit a diagnostic.
Doing the same problem even with router wifi disabled. I've submitted a dignosys session, the id is 3739671. Can you please tell me what is the issue?
Same exact thing here. I have all my music on an external drive attached to an Airport Time Capsule (the tall kind.) Problem MAY have started when I got that time capsule, but not sure. Everything used to work aces. I've tried putting the music on my laptop where sonos runs from, helped for a day, then the problem came back. I've changed wireless channels in the sonos settings, happens on all available channels. I've tried rebooting the entire system, unplugging all the componants, etc, no help I've removed the music library from sonos entirely and re-added it, no help... ??? SUPER frustrating. I can listen to Pandora and Spotify without issue, but i have 35,000 songs of my own I want to hear! Thanks for any assistance! Rob
Solved for me by moving router and bridge in the center of my house. What I have learned is that the range of the bridge is consistently less than the router one.
Happening to me also. My hardware has not moved position in months and had no issues before. Diagnostics ID is 3780687
Me too.

Diagnostic ID is 3822041.

Help would be gratefully accepted.
This started happening to me recently when trying to play albums from my iPhone. I have never changed the layout/location, just a bridge plugged in downstairs directly under my sonos:1. I tried other suggestions here (controller reset, power cycling, wireless channels, etc.) to no avail. I did manage to fix the problem by restarting my external router and file server. The file server had crashed and also happens to be the primary DNS on my home network. I can't say for certain it was definitely DNS (it doesn't exactly make a lot of sense since I was playing files from my phone) but restarting that server definitely corrected the problem.

Anyway I realize this is not a normal setup for most people, however that just means you are likely using your ISP's DNS servers which are notoriously slow and/or incorrect. Maybe a long shot but for people here that have run out of ideas try switching to Google's Public DNS or another service and see what happens.
same problem 3833122.
Same problem. Diangostic number 3833870.

It was working fine for 6  months. Only significant recent change I can think of is upgrade to new versions of the controller on Mac, Iphone and Ipad.

Hi,  same thing, new system with bridge and a play 3.  Diagnostic number 3843947.  Playing a playlist from the Sonos app on my MacBook Air.  Changed channel, still skips.
Exactly the same problem, songs are jumping before they finish, nothing has changed, this problem has been happening for a few weeks now (prob related to new app?).

3849540 diagnostic.
Im the same! Only bought it today too.. Slightly disappointed Diagnostic number: 3877781
Same problem! D nr 3878759.
SAME PROBLEM. SSTARTED DAY BEFORE NEW SOFTWARE UPDATE. CHAGE CH ANNELS TO NO AVAIL. SENT DIAGNOSTICS. HAD SYSTEM ONE YEAR. PLAYBAR AND THREE 3 speakers, bridge. Problem just started couple of weeks ago with new software and app.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Kathy wrote:

SAME PROBLEM. SSTARTED DAY BEFORE NEW SOFTWARE UPDATE. CHAGE CH ANNELS TO NO AVAIL. SENT DIAGNOSTICS. HAD SYSTEM ONE YEAR. PLAYBAR AND THREE 3 speakers, bridge. Problem just started couple of weeks ago with new software and app.

Hi Kathy, 

please contact our Technical Support via telephone in order to have a closer look at the cause: http://www.sonos.com/contact

Regards, 

Daniel H. 

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings