Answered

Sonos app not working on M1 Macbook (crashes on launch)

• 16 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi all,

The Sonos controller app does not work on my new M1 MacBook Air. As soon as the software starts up, it stops responding and the only way out is for me to Force Quit. I have tried uninstalling, re-installing, clearing cache etc. 

Is this a known bug? 

Many thanks.

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 16 February 2021, 20:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @smilingatconfusion 

I have an M1 MBP and the Sonos App performes perfectly. You have also stated that Sonos works on your M1 MBAir as long as the NordVPN isn’t engaged. 

Sonos has fulfilled its responsibilities to make sure that the app works with the M1 Chip natively or via Rosetta 2. That said IMO it’s the NordVPN that has the bug by not allowing the Sonos app to function properly.

I suggest you inform NordVPN about the issue. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @smilingatconfusion

Welcome to the Sonos community. Thanks for reaching out to us and letting us know about your concern. Sorry to hear that you're having issues installing the Sonos app on your new MacBook.

Let me suggest the next troubleshooting steps and see if it will work for you.

• Uninstall the Sonos app
  • Delete/Remove the Sonos app from your MacBook
  • Reboot your MacBook.
  • Download and install Sonos app
    • If you have an S1 system  - Click this link.
    • If you have an S2 system - Click this link.

If the Sonos app still crashing, it would be best for you to contact our support team to help you out and to remotely access your device to find out what's going on in your system. If you need help with any other information, feel free to reach out. 

Hello Rowena, 

I have diagnosed the problem. The app is in conflict with NordVPN. Whenever NordVPN is open and running, Sonos crashes on launch. The only way I can run the Sonos app is by quitting NordVPN. 

Are you able to report this as a bug please so the developers can work on patching it? 

Many thanks.