Question

Sonos app not allowing Apple Music to play

• 9 November 2016
  • 7 replies

Diagnostic number: 6730912

Bought a new Sonos amp today and hooked it up to my speakers. I was told sonos was great at streaming music from Apple Music which I use.

Set up is complete, sonos app downloaded onto iPad and iPhone, my Apple Music account is linked ok to sonos app. Sound can be played through my speakers from the Sonos app using TuneIn.

However using the "On the iPad/iPhone" section, only podcasts can be viewed and played, no music or playlist etc are visible.

Using Apple Music section on the Sonos app I can see all my songs, playlist etc as I would normally on the Music app itself however nothing will play. It tries then skips straight to the next song, it attempts this 4 or 5 times and then I get the onscreen message "We have encountered a problem. Try again later."

Apple Music radio does not play either.

It seems like there is a block or restriction somewhere.

I have tried to find the solution to this problem all day with no success. I have reinstalled apps, unplugged routers, toggled on/off etc etc many times with always the same outcome.

Please someone help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
What happens when you try to play something inside the Radio By TuneIn menu option?
That works fine
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
On this phone/iPad will ONLY play files that are physically located on the phone (ie need to be downloaded for off line listening).
Downloaded content from Apple Music for offline use does not show up on the sonos app
Anything relating to Apple Music does not work. Wether it's streaming or trying to play offline downloaded songs.
Downloaded content from Apple Music for offline use does not show up on the sonos app
That is how it is supposed to be, in the absence of a paid subscription to Apple Music, and it sounds like Sonos thinks you don't have an Apple Music subscription. Not sure why though. I'm not an Apple Music user but I assume you do have a paid subscription?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Anything relating to Apple Music does not work. Wether it's streaming or trying to play offline downloaded songs.

Hi pants,

Music that has been downloaded to your iOS device from Apple Music contains DRM protection which prevents it from being played on Sonos. You should be able to stream music that has been purchased from iTunes and downloaded on to your iOS device though. Also, you should be able to stream directly from Apple Music on your Sonos system.

If you're unable to play purchased music from your iOS device, or unable to stream music from Apple Music, please send a diagnostic report from your system and reply with the confirmation number, I'll take a look for you.