Sonos app keeps "losing" Sonos system

• 11 April 2018
  • 8 replies

Since a couple of updates back (maybe 2 or 3) I've experienced that the sonons app -around twice a week- just doesn't find the sonos system anymore. My WiFi is up, I have internet, everything else works (even the TV works and can use Sonos) but the app just won't find my sonos system. Workaround is to plug out and in my router and then the sonos app will work again. But it's highly annoying to reset your router twice a week just because one app "hangs itself" - or whatever the case may be. My internet and wifi are both fine. I work on my wifi, my PS4 is on my wifi, everything works, except sonos app, that doesn't find the system.
And this never happened before in older releases. So this is meant as a feedback on the app and I hope you get an idea for fixes.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, meligotsonos. Thanks for posting your feedback and welcome to the Community. While I understand that you have found a workaround, the idea is to not have you need a workaround. That being said, it may be a good idea to give our support technicians a call to get a closer look at what is going on when this happens again.
I've had the same problem (though not within the last month or so). My fix wasn't to reset the router entirely. It was to turn WiFi on the phone off and then back on. I've found success with that on my iPhone and an Android phone in the house.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I would throw your (unspecified) router in the trash, and buy a reliable one. A networked device such as Sonos is only as good as your router. Have you checked if your router is on the "known-to-be-terrible" list on the Sonos site?
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
I would throw your (unspecified) router in the trash, and buy a reliable one. A networked device such as Sonos is only as good as your router. Have you checked if your router is on the "known-to-be-terrible" list on the Sonos site?
Where would a guy find this “known-to-be-terrible list”? I also have this problem, particularly after Sonos has been playing for extended periods, and I have a proven to be reliable top of the line Cisco router with maximum range. I can pick up my router at the neighbors house three doors down, so signal strength is not the issue to be sure. My fix is the same, reboot the router..
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I believe the article controlav is referring to, can be found here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
An area to look at if you want to try to find the problem might be IP address assignments, does the Sonos gear work right after the router is rebooted and the DHCP server passes out the initial addresses to all your gear but fail at some time after that? If you check the IP addresses of your Sonos gear at that point have any of them changed?

Does rebooting the controller help? Does rebooting your Sonos devices help?

I decided to work-around the issue too, I assigned reserved (static) IP addresses to my Sonos devices in the router's DHCP pages, gave them names for DNS too. Haven't had the problems with missing devices or sluggish controller operation since.

The IP assignment is so easy I'd do it first and not worry unless the problem comes back.
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
An area to look at if you want to try to find the problem might be IP address assignments, does the Sonos gear work right after the router is rebooted and the DHCP server passes out the initial addresses to all your gear but fail at some time after that? If you check the IP addresses of your Sonos gear at that point have any of them changed?

Does rebooting the controller help? Does rebooting your Sonos devices help?

I decided to work-around the issue too, I assigned reserved (static) IP addresses to my Sonos devices in the router's DHCP pages, gave them names for DNS too. Haven't had the problems with missing devices or sluggish controller operation since.

The IP assignment is so easy I'd do it first and not worry unless the problem comes back.

For me, the app can not find The Sonos system at all. Rebooting the app does not work, and if it was IP assignments I’d suspect that a few of my Sonos devices would be found.
For people like us who know what they are doing, static IP is easy, but I saw a comment earlier where the guy was saying you should not have to be a computer programmer to use Sonos reliably. I have to agree. No other products I own have connectivity issues. They just work. Sonos needs to up their ease of use game. There is more and more competition out there.
Hi all and sorry for late reply,

Thanks Keith N, I sent some user data from the app!

@controlav: the router isn't in the crap list nor is it crap. My wifi is great and fast and everything works fine - besides the Sonos app. And other than the list to the "routers with problem" your comment doesn't really help anyone - and the link was actually provided by Keith so yeah; no need to get angry and point fingers on something else. I just wanted to give feedback..

Rebooting controller or app didn't work. The only thing that worked was the router reboot. However, I never tried to turn on and off the WiFi on my phone so maybe that would have worked too.

But now: with the last 2 updates, I have never experienced this error again. Not once. So it seems fixed, thanks Sonos! 😃