Answered

Sonos App failing to see speakers

Hello All,

My Sonos app 13.1 on Android 11 phone is failing to find my Sonos Arc which is connected via Ethernet cable and my Sonos Move connected via WiFi. 

Both devices are replying to pings and I am still able to select each speaker to play to from all my streaming applications. But as the Sonos app is not finding the speakers I am unable to group them together.

I have tried resetting the application settings and now am unable to “join existing system” and when I try to sign into my account it fails stating it can’t find my Sonos system. I have not made any network changes and have turned off the 5GHz band as I read this could cause issues switching between frequencies.

Now when I try to log back into the application it states “Network Problem” and to check my internet connection and check the time on my device to ensure they are correct. And a full reboot of my router and speakers has been completed multiple times.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Kip

icon

Best answer by Kipalong 30 May 2021, 02:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7

What kind of router are you using?

What router are you using? Are there any other WiFi access points on the local network ?

If it’s a BT Super Hub 2 router, then as mentioned in the link below (see latest 7th-May update in first post), you probably need to get in touch with BT to ask them to remotely update your router.

However i do not understand why you are not seeing the Playbar in your Sonos App - my first suggestion is this:

1. Ensure your mobile Controller device is set to connect to the routers 2.4 GHz band SSID only - you may want to setup the connection again.
  2. Reboot the router.
  3. Power cycle your Playbar and Move (note your Move may not work if it’s using the 5Ghz band but if the two bands have the same SSID, then power-cycling may (just may) fix that too. 

Hi Ken and thank you for your reply.

I have disabled the 5GHz WiFi network entirely. I am using a Virgin Media Hub 3 which is actually an Arrus TG2492LG-85. 

The weird thing is that both speakers are both still working but the app can’t see  either of them.

Cheers

Kip

Userlevel 7

Is the Arc the only speaker wired to the router? Have you tried a wireless setup?

I have, the app wont even sign into sonos or join current setup.

Userlevel 7

Did you unplug the speakers from power for a minute or two? Did you reset the app under App Preferences and reboot your phone?

Yes, I did all these things.

I have just reinstalled the App.

Found my current system and connected to it.

Thanks to all that replied.

:)

As it’s a VirginMedia Hub I’m also just wondering if you perhaps have a guest WiFi network enabled on the router and if that signal is ‘isolated’ from the main network.. If enabled, just switch off the Hub’s guest wireless network(s) to remove those from being a part of the issue and ensure your mobile is definitely connected to the main WiFi.

Also what operating System version is your mobile using? If it’s an iOS device try switching off ‘Private Address’ in your mobile network connection.

Ah our posts crossed, I see you fixed it. 👍 I would go back too and enable your 5Ghz WiFi band as I don’t think there is any reason to disable it on that Router.

Yeah the problem was the App for sure. The WiFi was not the issue at all. 

Cheers for your assistance