Question

Sonos Android app is problematic on Android. Sonos Android app on Chrome just sucks. When can we expect a fix for BOTH OS's?

• 13 April 2019
  • 7 replies

At least fix the Android app so it doesn't create more headaches than it's worth. Please make a Chrome OS specific version so SONOS can be part of the modern world and just your entrenched closed off world.

7 replies

Any actual suggestions for improvement?
I do, but Sonos doesn't seem to take any suggestions.

But here ya go:

Interface design... I designed interactives for dozens of major multi-national corporations in the past. The Sonos interface would not make it past the 1st review. IMO, programmers - not human interface designers - created this awesomely confusing and unintuitive app interface. I had a programmer that I would sub-out the hard stuff to... he often came back with design elements like this that I had to politely remove and replace.

Kudos on the awesome new App Icon they recently included when they implemented yet another FORCED update though. I'm so glad because it helps so much with the end goal... Playing music.

Speaking of FORCED updates and FORCED agreement to the updated Privacy agreement. F that! If I don't agree my Sonos set up is a pile of bricks. How about opt out until the BETA testers work out the bugs?

This latest update has the song being played being different than what is shown in the track display.

The app has always had trouble remembering where it was in the convoluted interface if you walk out of network range of the network. One has to navigate all the way back to where they were prior to said hick-up. Too many clicks to get there. In general, too many clicks to get somewhere is the sign of a poorly designed interface.

A queue'd track list will only play about halfway through before it stops for no obvious reason.

Sometimes I select a song to play and it shows it loading... I walk away and a minute later I realize that nothing happened. I go back and must start over from the top again. F-ing annoying.

Clicks don't always do anything even though the icon highlights in response.

The My Sonos section sometimes doesn't display as it should. Often different than the last time. Right now it shows 2 different rows of recently played.

If a queue has stopped playing and you switch to a different artist... the queue doesn't update. And if something is playing and select something else... stop asking me if I'm sure I want to change the track being played. YES I do I just clicked it. Yet more clicks.

And then there is the non-existent NATIVE Chrome OS app. WTF!

Well, that's a start for so early in the AM.
Can I diplomatically suggest you fix your network problems? The bulk of the issues you've reported are due to packet loss. *

If you want assistance from Sonos Support, submit a system diagnostic and post the confirmation number so they can follow up.

(* Note that if these symptoms are on the Android app running on ChromeOS the problem is the actual operating system. Sonos doesn't support it at present.)
I don't have network issues in any other aspect of my daily computer life. I'm have the SONOS Boost that is supposed to enhance this awesome setup. Maybe it doesn't though. And I'm running a Plex server and don't have issues like these when streaming to my Chromecast from Plex. Unfortunately Plex won't cast to SONOS, otherwise I would ditch the SONOS app entirely.

And your diplomatic suggestion doesn't address the poorly designed interface nor the FORCED updates that create more problems. Plex just recently updated their interface yet again after numerous complaints from the community.
Most of us can use the interface without problem, but that's not to say it's perfect. It's similar to some other music apps.

Updates are not forced. Turn off automatic updates in the system itself (i.e. the firmware) and disable automatic updates of the controller apps.

Assuming you're not trying to use the Android app on ChromeOS you do have network issues. Post a diagnostic if you'd like assistance from Sonos Support.
I don't have network issues in any other aspect of my daily computer life. I'm have the SONOS Boost that is supposed to enhance this awesome setup. Maybe it doesn't though. And I'm running a Plex server and don't have issues like these when streaming to my Chromecast from Plex. Unfortunately Plex won't cast to SONOS, otherwise I would ditch the SONOS app entirely. [...]
If 'Auto channel' is enabled in your router, then disable it and set a specific channel, either 1, 6 or 11. Change also the SonosNet channel ('More --> Settings --> Advanced Settings --> SonosNet Channel') to either 1, 6 or 11. That means when e.g. SonosNet is set to channel 6, put your router on channel 1 (or vice versa). See also Reducing wireless interference.