Sonos and UPNP

• 23 January 2006
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
I understand that you can control the sonos through upnp - Is there any chance of the Sonos playing music back from a generic upnp server ? This could open up some very interesting possibilities for code, e.g. dynamic playlist integration and more interactive forms of music management. It would alow allow the integration of non-sonos music sources.

Michael

1 reply

Userlevel 2
I understand that you can control the sonos through upnp - Is there any chance of the Sonos playing music back from a generic upnp server ? This could open up some very interesting possibilities for code, e.g. dynamic playlist integration and more interactive forms of music management. It would alow allow the integration of non-sonos music sources.

Michael

Through the UPNP APIs you can cause Sonos to play back from any UPNP source. If I remember right (it's been a while since I did it) it'll even do seek/FFWD/REW/etc. But the controller interface won't register the source the way it does a Rhapsody server, so there's no browsing available.

If you need a .NET API or Perl API for controlling Sonos via UPNP there are libraries available here - but for this project there's not any Sonos-specific code necessary, you can even try the Intel UPNP test apps to test it yourself.