Sonos and UPNP

Userlevel 2
I understand that you can control the sonos through upnp - Is there any chance of the Sonos playing music back from a generic upnp server ? This could open up some very interesting possibilities for code, e.g. dynamic playlist integration and more interactive forms of music management. It would alow allow the integration of non-sonos music sources.

Michael

1 reply

Userlevel 2
I understand that you can control the sonos through upnp - Is there any chance of the Sonos playing music back from a generic upnp server ? This could open up some very interesting possibilities for code, e.g. dynamic playlist integration and more interactive forms of music management. It would alow allow the integration of non-sonos music sources.

Michael

Through the UPNP APIs you can cause Sonos to play back from any UPNP source. If I remember right (it's been a while since I did it) it'll even do seek/FFWD/REW/etc. But the controller interface won't register the source the way it does a Rhapsody server, so there's no browsing available.

If you need a .NET API or Perl API for controlling Sonos via UPNP there are libraries available here - but for this project there's not any Sonos-specific code necessary, you can even try the Intel UPNP test apps to test it yourself.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings