Answered

Sonos and T-Mobile Home, service drops in and out

• 25 June 2021
  • 5 replies

I recently switched to TMobile home internet service, so far so good, streaming TV, internet, home automation, etc.

I am in an area that has one other option (XFinity) and their service on my street is crap.

My 4 - Sonos Ones which have worked fine for years suddenly drop in an out. Mid-song they will just go silent and then start up a minute later on the next song. It happens often.

I have looked at the 2.4 vs 5ghz issue, not sure if that is a thing. 

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 25 June 2021, 16:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Try unplugging the speakers from power for a couple of minutes and reboot the router.

First and foremost thanks for the tip.

Strangely it worked for about an hour, but is now a bit worse. It plays into a song or two then goes silent then starts up a little way into the next song a minute or two later. Again, I have 4 of the Play speakers and they all go silent, I always play them all at the same time. And again this is using the new TMobile Home Internet Gateway can.

https://www.t-mobile.com/isp/gateway?cmpid=HEIS_PG_P_21HMEINT_43700062008059761_527013716099&gclid=CjwKCAjwieuGBhAsEiwA1Ly_nZoa1w7tzSzXzndCeWRkPBy6wqY118ye36RX2H_RvlkGD5wW6WJ-9BoCl2sQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

In the Sonos system requirements (see below link) it does say that the router needs to be a High speed wired internet connection such as cable, fiber, or DSL and that LTE routers are not supported.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126

Is this a 4G or 5G connection? Have you tried just perhaps playing to one speaker only? I’m just wondering if the mobile connection is perhaps part of your issue here.

Moved from a city center in Calif to a pretty small costal town in Maine.

The local wired internet (XFinity) promised 200Mbps but was more like 5 one day 150 the next and so on.

The wireless option by TMobile has been  70-80 without much variation beyond that.

Oddly the SONOS was not doing this when I was wired to the fluctuating fixed internet

Maybe try the following…

• Wire one device to the router to switch the devices to use their internal SonosNet signal. Keep that device (and other wifi devices) well away from the router - I suggest 3 to 4 feet away.
  • Set the router’s 2.4Ghz band to use fixed channel 6
  • Set the channel-width to 20MHz only
  • Set the SonosNet channel to 1 or 11 in the Sonos App
  • Remove the routers WiFi credentials in Settings/System/Network/Manage Network” - these are not needed when using SonosNet.

See if that fixes things for you, but this doesn’t guarantee things will work, particularly if your T-mobile signal to the router is not stable.