Sonos and Spotify...issue not solved

• 27 January 2019
  • 12 replies

Dear Sonos Community,

I’ve read several topics but I’ve not yet found solution for my issue hence I open a new thread.

I own since quiete some time a Play:1 in my kitchen and it has been working properly for months with my Spotify Premium account until few weeks ago. Then, started to become problematic to play music through Spotify due to several disconnections and inability to reconnect unless using Sonos controller to play Spotify music (workaround).

Few days ago, I added a Play:5 in my livingroom (amazing!!) but the issue is even worse. Now, in the Spotify app I do see the Sonos speakers but when I want to play music with them, the app is trying to connect but did not succeeded.

Just to summarise the setup:
1x play:1
1x play:5
2x iPhone (me and my wife)
1x iPad

Speakers are wired (Ethernet) and Wi-Fi is disabled by purpose (want to reduce the electromagnetic field in my home).
I’ve also sent diagnostics to Sonos (reference number is 22596312).

Appreciate your comments so to resolve this issue that is becoming annoying considering that another play:5 is on the way to arrive and I’m paying Premium few to Spotify to use it with my Sonos system.

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, luca.dibert. Looks like both Sonos speakers are still not getting data fast enough and then losing connection even while wired. That being said, could you tell us a little more about the local network you have? How are these units plugged into the network? What is the make and model of your router? Does this only happen with Spotify? Does this happen with other music services?
Hi Keith, thanks for answering.
I have a 4g router (Huawei E5186s-22a, non branded and unlocked). The router is connected to a first gigabit switch then there’s another gigabit switch where the play 5s (in the meantime I got the second play5 for creating the stereo pair) and the play 1 are connected together with a smart tv. Note that I’m streaming HD movimento the tv without any issue so I believe it’s not a connection problem.
Furthermore, as I said before, Spotify is working great when used through the Sonos controller but it’s having issues when using native Spotify app to control the speakers. It’s also working when using AirPlay2 as a workaround.
Actually, I’m not using other music services so I can’t say anything in that respect.
Look forward to hear from you.
Might be worth detailing the make and model of those switches for Keith. There are some switches that appear to have issues with the way that Sonos functions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Thanks for clarifying. If the problem only happens when using Spotify to play to Sonos but works on Sonos and through AirPlay, I'd recommend giving our support technicians a call directly, so they can have a real-time look at what's happening. This will help us gather information and determine if there is a problem between the two services.
Might be worth detailing the make and model of those switches for Keith. There are some switches that appear to have issues with the way that Sonos functions.

Hi Airgetlam, thanks for highlighting. Both are Netgear GS108GE gigabit switches.
I will give the support technican a call tonight and let you know the outcome.
Thank again.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Good evening Luca. Have you considered DFS playing a role sir?

https://www.adriangranados.com/blog/practical-intro-dfs
Dear h1lt0n, in my understanding DFS is playing a role in WiFi networks but mine is totally wired, except the WAN, i.e., 4G/LTE. Is that what you mean?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Dear h1lt0n, in my understanding DFS is playing a role in WiFi networks but mine is totally wired, except the WAN, i.e., 4G/LTE. Is that what you mean?

You are quite correct. My apologies I misread the post.

As everything is wired. The considerations are different. Are all the switches set up to use STP (not RSTP) with the priorities/path costs set as follows? Core switch (the one connected to your router) to 4096 and your next level switches to 8192 and so on.

Also, it doesn't hurt to give your speakers static IPs on the same subnet but outside the DHCP range. This may help also.
Hi h1lt0n, switches are unmanageable version from Netgear, hence no chance to set priorities.
On the other hand I’d love to assign static IP to my speakers (as I’m doing for all my network devices) but it cannot be done...at least I was not able to do that. Also reading around seems that dhcp is default and cannot be changed.
Hi all, I've finally get to the point by talking with Sonos support over the phone last Friday.
Long story short, the issue seems to be due to my WAN connection type, i.e., 4G/LTE (in the area where I'm living is not available ADSL or cable connection).
This connection type has ping/latency not good enough to control the Sonos speakers through the native Spotify app because the token is going back and forth from Sonos to Spotify servers then back to my system and the session is already expired thus losing the control.
On the other hand, by using the Sonos controller app, there's a bypass of Spotify server back and forth connection thus the session is stable and everything works properly.
So, all in all, there's no solution for my problem :-(

Hope this is a valid explanation and not just a story...
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Hi all, I've finally get to the point by talking with Sonos support over the phone last Friday.
Long story short, the issue seems to be due to my WAN connection type, i.e., 4G/LTE (in the area where I'm living is not available ADSL or cable connection).
This connection type has ping/latency not good enough to control the Sonos speakers through the native Spotify app because the token is going back and forth from Sonos to Spotify servers then back to my system and the session is already expired thus losing the control.
On the other hand, by using the Sonos controller app, there's a bypass of Spotify server back and forth connection thus the session is stable and everything works properly.
So, all in all, there's no solution for my problem :-(

Hope this is a valid explanation and not just a story...

How much is this "session timeout"?
About what numbers are we talking about?
10ms - 100ms - 1 second - 10 seconds?
Is Spotify Connect protocol so weak?
Hi Camillo777,
unfortunately I do not own these data because are (I guess) included in the diagnostics I sent several time during the call with the Sonos technician. He mentioned about "session timeout" but without providing further details...

By the way, I was also surprised by the weakness of Sonos connection protocol but, in art of fact, this was the only meaningful explanation I found, so far...

Do you think it's realistic?