Answered

Sonos and HomePod latency issue with AirPlay 2

I was extremely excited to update my Sonos system today after I read that the new 9.0 update was bringing AirPlay to Sonos finally!

I currently own two Ones, two Play:1s, a Playbar, a Sub, and three HomePods. This update meant I could finally use my HomePods and Sonos system as one, cohesive experience.

It turned out that not only could I not use my Ones as rear channels for my Playbar/Sub (if I want AirPlay support), but for whatever reason, when I try and play music from Apple Music on my iPhone, my Sonos Speakers and Homepods refuse to stay in sync.

No matter what I do, the speakers only stay synced for 20-40 seconds before they start losing their place in the song. I’ll give it a few seconds to fix itself, but they refuse to stay synced together, with the speakers jumping all over the place. They’ll only stay synced if I stick to one speaker manufacturer at a time. (So only HomePod or only Sonos).

I’ve invested thousands of dollars in these speakers over the years, I only bought the Ones with the expectation that they would finally bridge the gap between Apple and Sonos with AirPlay 2, and so far the whole setup has been janky and half baked.

Anybody have any tips or recommendations on how to get these speakers to play nice?
icon

Best answer by Keith N 19 April 2019, 19:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

57 replies

I believe Sonos changed some code related to AirPlay 2 in the 10.6 release, I’m pleased you’re experiencing better performance. 

My Sonos speakers used to lose sync all the time on Airplay2, But they were rock solid when playing via the Sonos app. I updated all speakers Friday and haven’t had a single sync problem all weekend, so I’m beginning to hope that it works now. 

Yes. Did this solve the problem for any others? I have been back and forth with SONOS support and despite trying various channels and cutting out sources of interference to the point where my system is just a sonos product hard wired to a router i still get the signal cutting out and in. They tell me we are doing a process of elimination, but when the system is reduced to an apple computer, a home network and a sonos speaker the sonos speaker is cutting out. I’m not sure that I would call this airplay2 compatibility. by way of comparison, a yamaha AV receiver in the same system works seamlessly. 

My apologies, it was Keith’s post, not Jeff’s. The Sonos employee. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

There was an update just recently that has some improvements to AirPlay 2 on Sonos that’s used which should make the sync issues much better. So I’d say to start with, can you check for updates to make sure your system gets to version 10.6 and then test things out.

hm. ive read every post on here, cant find anyone who has the handle Jeff or who has signed off with Jeff. 

Did you read Jeff’s post above?

is there any solution to this?

i have a music system that uses airports and a yamaha receiver that work perfectly together. I added a sonos beam and the beam drops out and plays out of sync. i have been through lots of trouble shooting with tech support. 

Great. If you'd be so kind as to come back after talking to them, and let us know what the issue is, it might help others in your same situation.
It’s Sunday evening. I will contact Sonos this week to see if they can be helped by any info I can give them.
So, did you happen to do what was asked for by the Sonos employee in the post directly before yours, and reach out to them directly?
I bought my homepod in November 2018, and I have had this syncing problem ever since. When start the music, everything is in sync but after 20-30 minutes Sonos speakers start skipping ahead or behind. It happens suddenly. Sometimes it skips around until it’s is in sync again and other times it just stays out of sync.

have upgraded both my HomePod and my Sonos speakers with every update, but nothing has ever changed.

I hope that Sonos is working on this
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello everyone. Just a heads up that this should have been resolved as of the iOS12 update in November 2018. If you are still having troubles with HomePods falling out of sync with Sonos, feel free to reach out directly to our support team and they will have a closer look at what is going on. Thanks!
I noticed that when I was moving around in my space was when I noticed the most latency between the speakers. So I changed a couple things, I positioned a few of the antennas on my router towards the area where my speakers reside, and I changed to "Compressed" rather than "Uncompressed" for Compression settings in the advanced settings of the Sonos app. Not sure if the latter actually did anything, but I was trying to troubleshoot on my own, and those two things made a huge difference in the speakers cutting out.

Now they're not cutting out nearly as much when I walk around my place, and if they do lose their sync, it's only for a quick second, then it fixes itself.

I took these steps with my system, and it reduced the latency/drops issue, but didn't eliminate it. My Sonos software Compression Settings were set to "Auto" - so I set it to "Compressed" and made a slight change in my router antennas.

My system: iMac, 1 AppleTV 4, 1 Samsung sound bar, 1 HomePod speaker pair, 2 Sonos One speaker pairs

I had no issues with latency or drops until I introduced the 2nd Sonos One speaker pair. And then it just kept getting worse until I couldn't stand to stop and restart it ONE MORE TIME. (Music coming either from my iMac or AppleTV, occurring when I was playing the music either from disc or Apple Music, and - aside from the AppleTV/Soundbar HDMI connection - all connected via Linksys WiFi, )

This post (https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/is-your-music-cutting-out-or-are-your-players-disappearing-from-the-app-6789755) led to this article (https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1219?language=en_US). When I took the steps within it to change my router settings for the 2ghz network to a specific channel (2, 6 or 11) rather than "Automatic", the problem disappeared. (so far)

Man, that 16 hours (or whatever) where I could listen to music without lags and cutouts was great. Good times.

It's started up again, so the above changes may have helped, but they've solved nothing. FWIW, it's a bigger issue when I'm using the (Mojave) iMac as the music source than when I'm using AppleTV. Exceptionally tiresome, either way.

Latency and skipping issues continued intermittently (particularly with music videos) until I signed out of iCloud on my iMac. (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208242)

Success? It's been a couple of days, so I'm gonna go with yes. 🙂
I noticed that when I was moving around in my space was when I noticed the most latency between the speakers. So I changed a couple things, I positioned a few of the antennas on my router towards the area where my speakers reside, and I changed to "Compressed" rather than "Uncompressed" for Compression settings in the advanced settings of the Sonos app. Not sure if the latter actually did anything, but I was trying to troubleshoot on my own, and those two things made a huge difference in the speakers cutting out.

Now they're not cutting out nearly as much when I walk around my place, and if they do lose their sync, it's only for a quick second, then it fixes itself.

I took these steps with my system, and it reduced the latency/drops issue, but didn't eliminate it. My Sonos software Compression Settings were set to "Auto" - so I set it to "Compressed" and made a slight change in my router antennas.

My system: iMac, 1 AppleTV 4, 1 Samsung sound bar, 1 HomePod speaker pair, 2 Sonos One speaker pairs

I had no issues with latency or drops until I introduced the 2nd Sonos One speaker pair. And then it just kept getting worse until I couldn't stand to stop and restart it ONE MORE TIME. (Music coming either from my iMac or AppleTV, occurring when I was playing the music either from disc or Apple Music, and - aside from the AppleTV/Soundbar HDMI connection - all connected via Linksys WiFi, )

This post (https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/is-your-music-cutting-out-or-are-your-players-disappearing-from-the-app-6789755) led to this article (https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1219?language=en_US). When I took the steps within it to change my router settings for the 2ghz network to a specific channel (2, 6 or 11) rather than "Automatic", the problem disappeared. (so far)

Man, that 16 hours (or whatever) where I could listen to music without lags and cutouts was great. Good times.

It's started up again, so the above changes may have helped, but they've solved nothing. FWIW, it's a bigger issue when I'm using the (Mojave) iMac as the music source than when I'm using AppleTV. Exceptionally tiresome, either way.

0 response because the response will be by the next version
Has there been any word from Sonos on this?
Yeah, this is practically useless. It bounces around my setup. Cutting in and out continually.

I love my Sonos setup through my house but it's completely useless over Airplay.

To be fair to Sonos though, Airplay is pretty shit in general.
Same issue, 3 Sonos Ones (2 in stereo pair), 1 Playbase, when all playing together, after a while they get out of sync, pushing Pause on one of them and play again it's fixed for a while.
Same here. Two brand new Sonos Ones and 4K Apple TV...bad sync problems. Please fix.
I have a setup with Sonos Beam (plus 2x play:1s ad surround speakers) in one room, Sonos One in another room and HomePod in another, all connected to wireless network and use AirPlay 2. Was experiencing this same issue (lagging / latency / cutouts) for a long time. Was very annoying. Tried a few things however it is now fixed. To do this I connected Beam to network via Ethernet instead of wireless and switched off 5ghz on my router to ensure all other devices were using same 2.4Ghz frequency (which has a longer range than 5Ghz so less prone to cutouts). Suggest use ethernet wherever possible and use a single frequency for all devices. Worked for me! Thanks.
Hello all,

Just adding my +1 in hopes that Sonos will fix this.

Same issues as others have described. Just got a Sonos One and it is out of sync with Apple TV and AirPlay 2 Marantz Receiver.
Seeing the same issue here using an Apple TV 4K - makes it really awful to use the Sonos One as a speaker using Airplay 2. Please fix!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I'm also having latency between my HomePod and Play:5+Sub. I tried setting up my Sonos with ethernet thinking it might help.... but no luck.