Answered

Sonos and HomePod latency issue with AirPlay 2

Show first post

49 replies

Was so excited for AirPlay 2 support. One of the main reasons I bought a Beam. But when grouped with a HomePod there is a slight delay which makes listening unbearable. A relative who has a second gen Play 5 and a HomePod has the exact same experience. And, when grouping an AirPlay 2 compatible speaker with a non-compatible speaker, the delay is even worse.

It took so long for AirPlay 2 to hit the market and yet it still doesn’t function properly.

(Not to mention that the Sonos devices don’t support AirPlay 2 in the same way a HomePod does - they still need a source device to stream from.)
I have similar issues. I have two HomePods (fully updated) and two Sonos One's (fully updated). After a fresh reboot of each, I can say "hey Siri... play whatever song everywhere" and she'll play on all four in four different rooms. Usually works fine. But after 1-2 days, both the Sonos' start to be behind the HomePods by anywhere from a half second to a full second. I'm running a Netgear Orbi mesh network with one router and one satellite. Everything on the network is super fast. But I did notice the Sonos' are both on my 2.4Ghz network and my HomePods are both on the 5Ghz network. Its the same SSID and I can't do separate SSIDs for 2.4 vs 5Ghz. I didn't realize until I started digging that the Sonos One's are 2.4Ghz ONLY. The HomePods default to the best network which is the 5Ghz one and I can't figure out how to force them to 2.4Ghz. That said, while the two Sonos One's and the two HomePods are on different networks from a channel/frequency perspective, they have full IP/LAN connectivity. And as noted... they stay in sync for a bit after a fresh restart of all four devices. Maybe its a caching thing. Either way we need an update that brings them more in sync.
Same here. play5 and HomePod have slight latency issue over airplay 2. Hope it gets fixed soon.
Same here. My Play5 has 2 seconds delay. Hope it gets fixed soon.
5 Apple TV 4K’s... Living, Family, Master & Guest rooms
4 Home Pods... Kitchen, Foyer, Office
1 Airport Express 7.8 firmware... drives outside wired speakers
3 Beam/Play 1-5.1 setup and 2-5.0 configs
4 AirPort Extreme Routers located throughout the home...

Airplaying to 1 Beam and 2 HomePods stays synced (most of the time)
Add Airport Express and/or 2 more HomePods... things stay synced (again, most of the time)

Add a second Beam config stresses things and syncing degrades rapidly, 3rd Beam... and forget it.

I think this issue can be resolved by Sonos, as when using ALL Apple gear things are good, add 1 Beam and it’s OK. More than 1 Sonos device and No Go...
Sync degrades rapidly.

I suggest Sonos duplicate my config... to test with. I’m happy to offer any assistance that I can... 😃
I just purchased a few Sonos One speakers. I noticed the lag after I returned home -- I had left the music on. I stopped and restarted the stream for my Sonos One speaker and that solved the issue, for now. But there is definitely a lag and it's really annoying.

Stopping and resuming the playback may help.
I'm also having the same problem! I had two Sonos Play:1 and I just bought two new Sonos One so that I could sync them with my 2 4K Apple TVs, but the delay is horrible and extremely annoying. It's like having a permanent eco in the background. When I get the delay, I try turning everything off and starting from zero. This works for about one track and then the delay comes back, it's useless. Another issue that happens rarely, is that the music from the Sonos starts breaking up for no reason. I'm not sure I made a good investment. Sonos speakers are not cheap so I did not expect this type of problems.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I'm also having latency between my HomePod and Play:5+Sub. I tried setting up my Sonos with ethernet thinking it might help.... but no luck.
Seeing the same issue here using an Apple TV 4K - makes it really awful to use the Sonos One as a speaker using Airplay 2. Please fix!
Hello all,

Just adding my +1 in hopes that Sonos will fix this.

Same issues as others have described. Just got a Sonos One and it is out of sync with Apple TV and AirPlay 2 Marantz Receiver.
I have a setup with Sonos Beam (plus 2x play:1s ad surround speakers) in one room, Sonos One in another room and HomePod in another, all connected to wireless network and use AirPlay 2. Was experiencing this same issue (lagging / latency / cutouts) for a long time. Was very annoying. Tried a few things however it is now fixed. To do this I connected Beam to network via Ethernet instead of wireless and switched off 5ghz on my router to ensure all other devices were using same 2.4Ghz frequency (which has a longer range than 5Ghz so less prone to cutouts). Suggest use ethernet wherever possible and use a single frequency for all devices. Worked for me! Thanks.
Same here. Two brand new Sonos Ones and 4K Apple TV...bad sync problems. Please fix.
Same issue, 3 Sonos Ones (2 in stereo pair), 1 Playbase, when all playing together, after a while they get out of sync, pushing Pause on one of them and play again it's fixed for a while.
Yeah, this is practically useless. It bounces around my setup. Cutting in and out continually.

I love my Sonos setup through my house but it's completely useless over Airplay.

To be fair to Sonos though, Airplay is pretty shit in general.
Has there been any word from Sonos on this?
0 response because the response will be by the next version
I noticed that when I was moving around in my space was when I noticed the most latency between the speakers. So I changed a couple things, I positioned a few of the antennas on my router towards the area where my speakers reside, and I changed to "Compressed" rather than "Uncompressed" for Compression settings in the advanced settings of the Sonos app. Not sure if the latter actually did anything, but I was trying to troubleshoot on my own, and those two things made a huge difference in the speakers cutting out.

Now they're not cutting out nearly as much when I walk around my place, and if they do lose their sync, it's only for a quick second, then it fixes itself.

I took these steps with my system, and it reduced the latency/drops issue, but didn't eliminate it. My Sonos software Compression Settings were set to "Auto" - so I set it to "Compressed" and made a slight change in my router antennas.

My system: iMac, 1 AppleTV 4, 1 Samsung sound bar, 1 HomePod speaker pair, 2 Sonos One speaker pairs

I had no issues with latency or drops until I introduced the 2nd Sonos One speaker pair. And then it just kept getting worse until I couldn't stand to stop and restart it ONE MORE TIME. (Music coming either from my iMac or AppleTV, occurring when I was playing the music either from disc or Apple Music, and - aside from the AppleTV/Soundbar HDMI connection - all connected via Linksys WiFi, )

This post (https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/is-your-music-cutting-out-or-are-your-players-disappearing-from-the-app-6789755) led to this article (https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1219?language=en_US). When I took the steps within it to change my router settings for the 2ghz network to a specific channel (2, 6 or 11) rather than "Automatic", the problem disappeared. (so far)
I noticed that when I was moving around in my space was when I noticed the most latency between the speakers. So I changed a couple things, I positioned a few of the antennas on my router towards the area where my speakers reside, and I changed to "Compressed" rather than "Uncompressed" for Compression settings in the advanced settings of the Sonos app. Not sure if the latter actually did anything, but I was trying to troubleshoot on my own, and those two things made a huge difference in the speakers cutting out.

Now they're not cutting out nearly as much when I walk around my place, and if they do lose their sync, it's only for a quick second, then it fixes itself.

I took these steps with my system, and it reduced the latency/drops issue, but didn't eliminate it. My Sonos software Compression Settings were set to "Auto" - so I set it to "Compressed" and made a slight change in my router antennas.

My system: iMac, 1 AppleTV 4, 1 Samsung sound bar, 1 HomePod speaker pair, 2 Sonos One speaker pairs

I had no issues with latency or drops until I introduced the 2nd Sonos One speaker pair. And then it just kept getting worse until I couldn't stand to stop and restart it ONE MORE TIME. (Music coming either from my iMac or AppleTV, occurring when I was playing the music either from disc or Apple Music, and - aside from the AppleTV/Soundbar HDMI connection - all connected via Linksys WiFi, )

This post (https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/is-your-music-cutting-out-or-are-your-players-disappearing-from-the-app-6789755) led to this article (https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1219?language=en_US). When I took the steps within it to change my router settings for the 2ghz network to a specific channel (2, 6 or 11) rather than "Automatic", the problem disappeared. (so far)

Man, that 16 hours (or whatever) where I could listen to music without lags and cutouts was great. Good times.

It's started up again, so the above changes may have helped, but they've solved nothing. FWIW, it's a bigger issue when I'm using the (Mojave) iMac as the music source than when I'm using AppleTV. Exceptionally tiresome, either way.

Man, that 16 hours (or whatever) where I could listen to music without lags and cutouts was great. Good times.

It's started up again, so the above changes may have helped, but they've solved nothing. FWIW, it's a bigger issue when I'm using the (Mojave) iMac as the music source than when I'm using AppleTV. Exceptionally tiresome, either way.

Latency and skipping issues continued intermittently (particularly with music videos) until I signed out of iCloud on my iMac. (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208242)

Success? It's been a couple of days, so I'm gonna go with yes. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello everyone. Just a heads up that this should have been resolved as of the iOS12 update in November 2018. If you are still having troubles with HomePods falling out of sync with Sonos, feel free to reach out directly to our support team and they will have a closer look at what is going on. Thanks!
I bought my homepod in November 2018, and I have had this syncing problem ever since. When start the music, everything is in sync but after 20-30 minutes Sonos speakers start skipping ahead or behind. It happens suddenly. Sometimes it skips around until it’s is in sync again and other times it just stays out of sync.

have upgraded both my HomePod and my Sonos speakers with every update, but nothing has ever changed.

I hope that Sonos is working on this
So, did you happen to do what was asked for by the Sonos employee in the post directly before yours, and reach out to them directly?
It’s Sunday evening. I will contact Sonos this week to see if they can be helped by any info I can give them.
Great. If you'd be so kind as to come back after talking to them, and let us know what the issue is, it might help others in your same situation.