Answered

Sonos drops out when grouping

• 7 December 2020
  • 9 replies

Hi,

When I try to play more than 2-3 rooms with Sonos S2, the playback constantly cuts in and out… I’m using Sonosnet. 

Talking to Sonos CS, he says I need to get Sonosnet on it’s own clean 2.4 channel. It doesn’t appear that my AmpliFi AP can do that. 

icon

Best answer by Annazel S 6 January 2021, 19:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @mattfort.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community! Let me see what I can do to help you.

Commonly, this issue can come as a result of wireless interference, or are you perhaps using an incompatible network configuration that doesn't meet the system requirements?

Was there any change made on your network or on Sonos recently?

To better understand what’s going on, kindly reproduce the issue, then submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app shortly after the issue occurs, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system as well as the status of the devices, it will help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

NOTE: One of the best ways to reduce wireless interference is to change the wireless channel used by your Sonos system, your router, or both. If you have a Sonos product connected to your router with an Ethernet cable (SonosNet), you can change the Sonos system’s wireless channel. It’s best to trigger a diagnostic a few minutes after making changes.

Let me know how that goes.

Hi… I ran a diagnostic. 653480031. My AmpliFi HD mesh system is running on channels 1 & 11. Sonosnet on 6. I have a boost, 8 play 1’s, 3 connects, 1 One, 1 One SL, 1 Five, 1 Playbar. 

Still getting drop outs a lot….

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @mattfort.

Thanks for your response and please accept my sincerest apologies for the delayed response time.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, the system detected transport and sync errors resulting in audio dropout and playback failure, possibly Sonos is not getting enough bandwidth or experiencing poor wireless conditions which are often caused by wireless interference around Sonos products. If all the recommended steps to reduce wireless interference were followed and it doesn’t help, then knowing how and through what Sonos is connecting is the great foundation to troubleshooting this successfully.

Due to the nature of this issue, it would be best to have our phone team take a look. Please call us up to work with a technician live, they'll start by checking your system health and go from there. They have resources available for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the controller to see what's going on.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to let us know.

Will do.. Couple other quick questions. 

Can the 2nd ethernet jack on the back of the boost go directly to a speaker?

Can I install a switch on the sonosnet network?

1. It could. 
  2. I wouldn’t recommend it. Unless the only things you’re connecting to that switch is other Sonos devices. Sonos still uses 10/100 ethernet jacks, and the speed of anything other than music would be restricted. And potentially saturate the bandwidth available so your music would be impacted. You’re better off with other Sonos devices connected to the BOOST via SonosNet than you are with ethernet cables through a switch.  

Can I hook another Speaker up to the 2nd ethernet port on the boost?

Any Sonos speaker could be hooked up to either port, and it would get the Sonos data from that, rather than from SonosNet.

You’re not able to connect non-Sonos speakers (or the Sonos Move, which I don’t believe has an Ethernet port.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Can you move as many of your non-Sonos devices to 5GHz WiFi as you can, to reduce the use of the 2.4GHz range and leave more room for SonosNet? I too have an AmpliFi HD but it is rock solid, however I don’t use any mesh extenders with it.

Thanks, I’ve done that as well the best I can… AmpLiFI HD’s backchannels are auto-selected and are only (I think) part of the AP’s being used. When you select a channel within Amplifi HD, it’s only for the main router….