Sonos Amp uncontrolled full volume

Hi, I’m hoping someone can help. I’ve had several Sonos components for years. I leave the radio on a low volume setting for our dog when I go to work. Today I left him for 6 hours to come home and find the volume on our Sonos Amp on full volume. The dog is a total mess and playing back our cctv footage the audio can be heard outside the house on the cameras about 1 min after I leave the house. Is there anyway of finding out how this happened through any logs potentially? Thanks.

10 replies

Userlevel 7

Where is your Amp located? Are the touch controls enabled? Can your dog touch the Amp?

Hi, no the Amp is in a cupboard in another room so no chance that it was the touch controls. It’s a very strange one, but I feel for our dog. Full volume in the room for 6 hours. I can’t be in the room for 1 min at full volume! 

@FlyUK,
Is the Sonos controller that you use a mobile/table device and did you carry that out with you, when you set off to work ?

Also, If using a mobile controller, in App Preferences in the Sonos App Settings, do you have the ‘Hardware Volume’ control and the ‘Lock Screen’ control features enabled?

Yes it is. On an iPhone. It connects to the Bluetooth in the car and I listen to Spotify in the car. Same routine for the last x number of years. The phone goes on the dash so almost 100% it wasn’t me pushing buttons, but yes those feature are on. 

Yes it is. On an iPhone. It connects to the Bluetooth in the car and I listen to Spotify in the car. Same routine for the last x number of years. The phone goes on the dash so almost 100% it wasn’t me pushing buttons, but yes those feature are on. 

I was thinking it might be possible that either the iPhone hardware volume buttons, or the Lock Screen controls might have perhaps increased the volume just before you got out of range of your WiFi network - or alternatively as you’ve now mentioned Spotify, that the Amp was selected within ‘Spotify connect’ in its native App and the volume was increased at some point and so increasing the volume via the Sonos API. That volume increase can even occur over the mobile sim internet connection. All those things are a possibility if you left a Spotify ‘connect’ session running within the Spotify App.

Keep in mind that if a Spotify ‘connect’ session remains active, you don’t have to be on the local network to operate the current selected device over the Sonos API, it can be done remotely in that case until the session has been ended.

Really appreciate the reply. It’s unlikely to be button or screen changes, but I was using Spotify in the car, however started the radio from the Sonos app in the house. Guessing it must’ve been a Spotify link somewhere along the lines. 

Sadly exactly the same thing happened again today. Fortunately I’ve set a max volume of 50%. I was in the room at the time. The speakers started randomly beeping, the volume increased and I could see the volume increasing in the Sonos app. I have a diagnostic number if anyone from Sonos is able to help please.

Sadly exactly the same thing happened again today. Fortunately I’ve set a max volume of 50%. I was in the room at the time. The speakers started randomly beeping, the volume increased and I could see the volume increasing in the Sonos app. I have a diagnostic number if anyone from Sonos is able to help please.

Maybe go here and chat online to CS Staff and give them the diagnostic reference and see if they can see the source device that’s increasing the volume:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

They should be online from 9am onwards Mon-Fri.

Badge +17

Hi @FlyUK,

I’ve taken a look at the diagnostic report for you and I can see that the Kitchen Amp is increasing volume due to repeated presses of the volume up touch zone. The “beeping” you heard would be the sound the Amp makes when someone/something touches the touch zones on the front.

Are the Amps in a place where something could be brushing up against the front of them? Dog paws and noses can and do activate the touch controls on Sonos products.

You may want to consider disabling the buttons on the Amp by going to Settings → System → (Room name) → Scroll down and disable Touch Controls.

Personally, I’ve had to do this with my Playbase since my cat loves nothing more than to walk across the volume buttons 😅

That’s really helpful thanks. It was driving me mad trying to work out which device was doing it. The AMP is in a locked network cabinet so no one can get access to it, but with all the warm weather a patch lead has come free from the switch above and dropped in front of the Sonos amp, just brushing against the touch button! Problem solved!