Sonos Amp Sound Quality

• 23 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

I seem to be having trouble with mu Sonos amp in that the sound quality is aweful. I have tried numerous speaker setups including Tannoy floor standing speakers, kef wall mounted speakers and most recently harmen kardon speakers, all setups with and without subwoofer.

I have also hooked up the speakers to other amps and finding a huge increase in quality using different amps.

The sound from the sonos amp always seems to sound underwattery, thats the best way I cam describe it but its missing clarity in Bass and Mid. This is particularly noticable when I have started using it for my TV audio, and the result is it is very hard to understand speech.

Can anyone help/advise? All the sonos ones, and sonos move in the house sound great so im at a loss with the amp, especially when using high quality speakers.

Thanks,

Lewis

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

What specific speaker models have you tested? Have you adjusted the EQ settings on the Amp and have it set to stereo instead of dual mono?

Badge

Hey,

Tried on Floor standing Tannoy Revolution DC6T. Also on Kef 3001 and Harmon Kardon HKTS. Also tried on Mono mode on my single ceiling speaker in bathroom (unknown model). All produce same sub standard quality. Its almost muddy /underwaterry. I did notice once or twice moving rear banana plugs on amp made a sound change which made me think there was a loose connection on back of amp. Speaker cables are fine and work well with other amps. (Ive also tried different banana plugs to no avail). 

yes setting on stereo and have tried adjusting eq and switching sub on and off. The eq adjustments do work, but to no improvement of mid clarity. (Sub and treble are ok)

Userlevel 7

Either your speaker connections to the Amp are off or you possibly have a defective Amp. Are you within your return window for the Amp? 

Badge

Yes I think it comes with a 2 year warranty, and where I bought it from told me to come in when they re-open and will test it instore. (Covid has meant ive been unable to). 

thanks 

Lewis