Question

Sonos Amp's keep dropping off App

• 30 October 2020
  • 3 replies

• Contributor II
  • 4 replies

Hi guys,

Wondering if someone could help. We have several Sonos Amp’s and one Sonos Port, all connected to the same app (along with a few Sonos One’s and other bits).

Every so often, several of the Amps will drop off the app. Each Amp is wired to some ceiling speakers, and we can still play and control music to these directly from Apple Music for example, but we lose the ability to connect them from the Sonos app.

I then spend ages dismantling the comms cabinet, taking them all out, rebooting, re-syncing etc and of course, it’s never straight forward.  It’s really exhausting.

Does anyone have any idea why this might repeatedly happen, and if there’s anything I can do to get them to maintain a reliable connection to the app?

I have created a Diagnostics ticket: 1224320798.  At present, the app only shows 3 connected speakers, (out of 11 if it were all working)

Thanks,

JK

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @JK_, thank you for reaching out to us, and welcome to the Sonos community. I appreciate your detailed post describing the issue and all your effort to get your system working. Let me check the diagnostic that you submitted to help you out with this.

I'm also seeing 3 rooms in the report and they are connected to your WiFi network. However, I can see that all your Sonos devices are online. This could be a network-related issue.

I'd like to ask some questions to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

1. Do you have any Sonos device wired to your main router?
2. Are you using a WiFi mesh router or WiFi extender or repeater?
3. How many routers do you have?

Let me suggest the following steps to see if this would work for you. I know that you have performed some of the troubleshooting below when you contacted our chat support team, this is to isolate the issue.

1. If you have a WiFi extender, please disconnect it from the power to ensure that your Sonos will connect to your main router.
  2. Forget the network name from your mobile device and reconnect to the network where your Sonos system is connected.
    • On IOS: Go to Settings > Wi-Fi. Tap next to the Wi-Fi network that you want your device to forget. Tap Forget This Network, then tap Forget to confirm
    • On Android: Open Settings on your device, and tap on the WiFI icon to access WiFi network options. Tap and hold the WiFi network you want to delete, then select Forget Network from the menu that appears.
  3. Wire one of your speakers to your router via ethernet cable. SonosNet is recommended to broadcast the same wireless signal to your other speakers.
  4. If you have access to your router settings, below are the settings that need to be verified. You can contact your Interner Service Provider or router manufacturer for assistance.
    • The auto channel must be set to Off
    • Choose the best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11)
    • Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz
    • Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled
    • UPnP should be enabled
    • 802.11 bands should be set to b/g/n
    • Airtime Fairness should be disabled (if applicable)

Let us know how you get on with the advice above and submit another diagnostic report for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information.

If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

Hi @Rowena B. ,

Thanks so much for the reply! I thought I should probably give you some additional information, so we can narrow down the list of things to try:

• We are using the app on iOS only, so no need for Android instructions (to save you typing/trouble-shooting in that universe)
  • All the Amps are hard-wired to a Ubiquiti 48-port switch via CAT 6 cabling, travelling a distance of less than 50cm. None of them are connecting to anything via WiFi (or at least shouldn’t be!)
  • The Ubiquiti is then hard-wired to 3 satellites/wifi extenders, one on each floor, which broadcasts WiFi directly back to the same network/switch, that the Amps are connected to. The mobiles are of course picking up their signal from these satellites.
  • Each Amp is then hard-wired to a pair in ceiling speakers around the house, so access to those cables isn’t easy!

OK, well this is weird…  I just went into the Sonos app, and guess what?  They’re all there. Yep, everything is back to normal.  And I promise you, I’ve not done a thing!  I didn’t disconnect my phone from the wifi, or turn anything on-off, or follow any of the steps above.

I have resent you a fresh diagnostics report (2047720583) to see if you might be able to figure out what changed? As I mentioned before, I’d really love to know what causes this, so I can find a more permanent solution, or know how to fix it quicker next time!

My since thanks,

JK

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @JK_, thank you for your response and I'm glad that your system is working. I appreciate for sharing your feedback and for submitting the diagnostic, let me check it for you.

The suggested steps that we provided was based on the diagnostic report that you submitted. It showed that you have missing speakers and some of your Sonos devices were connected to other access points. The diagnostic report gives the snapshot of your system for us to know the issue and understand what's going on to help you provide a resolution.

Upon checking the diagnostic, there's a communication problem between your Sonos speakers and your network. There's interference in your wireless network that may be caused by wireless congestion; audio dropouts due to sync errors and the audio feed is too slow causing the playback to stop; and dropped room detected that one or more speakers showing in the Sonos app. 

The diagnostic shows you have 10 Sonos devices online and the Sonos Port is missing. No Sonos device is currently wired to your router, and your system has been up and running for 28 days.

Please observe your Sonos system and if you encounter the same problem, you may try the suggested steps we provided in this thread and run another diagnostic for us to check.

If you need help with any other information, please feel free to reach out. The Sonos community is always here to help.