Answered

Sonos Amp line in 1.5 second delay

• 26 December 2019
  • 43 replies

I have a Sonos Amp which I have my TV hooked up to as well as a turntable.

I've recently moved house so I have had to set up my system again.

After setting up the system again I have realised that there is a now a large delay between the turntable and the Amp (in the region of 1 - 2 seconds)

This didn't happen before.

A change I did make to the system is that I added two ikea symfonisk speakers to act as rear surrounds.

I've tried removing them to see if this brings the delay back down to what it was before, but no luck.

I've also tried changing the audio compression settings and that didn't work either.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could try to get the delay back down again? Or has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 23 January 2020, 18:19

As Airgetlam and jgatie said, @RumorConsumer and @deano1992 this has been resolved with the 10.6.2 update. The announcement is here. You’ll need to set the line-in compression. For the least amount of delay, set Uncompressed in the compression, and in the line-in delay settings, set it to the lowest delay, the 75ms level. You should be all set at that point.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

43 replies

It’s one of two things, either the Line-In is set to “Compressed”, or the Line-In type is set to a larger buffer type, such as “Airplay”.  Both can be found under the Settings > System > (Amp room name) > Line-In menu. 

Hey!

Thanks for the reply, I’ve tried setting the line in type to uncompressed, and it doesn’t change the delay.

I can’t seem to see any settings for the buffer type under Line In.

What I can see in settings for line in

I can’t see any settings for buffer type on the Sonos mac app either, am I missing something?

It’s set to Turntable, so that’s OK.  I’m stumped.  You should submit a diagnostic and post the reference number here so a tech can look at it. 

Cheers for the help anyways! I've submitted diagnostics and the reference number is 1138957750.

It's really weird.

Hello,

I am having the exact same issue today. This morning, I went through an update that failed. I had to re-setup my Sonos system (2 first gen Play:5’s and one first gen Play:1). After I went through the setup process, and made sure my Android and Desktop controller apps and all components were up to date, I played some Pandora, and I thought everything was fine.

Now when I use my Play:5 that is in my Bedroom (hooked up to my computer), there is a 1.5 second delay between anything that happens on my computer and the output on the Play:5. As you can imagine, this ruins any video or interactive experience on my computer.

Just as the OP has screenshots above to show, I have selected “Uncompressed” in the Line-in settings, and I have tried many different source levels. I have tried about every setting possible, but nothing seems to fix the issue.

I have been using my Play:5 with my desktop for over 5 years, and have never had problems. Needless to say, I am a bit miffed that this software update could have possibly ruined my ability to use my Play:5 with my computer.

Here are some details from my desktop controller app:

---------------------------------
Play:1: Bathroom
Serial Number: B8-E9-37-BE-65-F6:E
Version: 10.6 (build 54272031)
Hardware Version: 1.8.3.7-1
Series ID: A101
IP Address: 192.168.1.133
WM: 0
OTP:
Play:5: Bedroom
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-64-80-D4:1
Hardware Version: 1.16.4.1-1
Series ID: P100
IP Address: 192.168.1.118
OTP: 1.1.1(1-16-4-zp5s-0.5)
Play:5: Living Room
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-64-81-0A:4
IP Address: 192.168.1.115

Diagnostics reference number: 2080354151

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Good steps everyone! There’s currently an issue where the line-in compression settings stay stuck at compressed even if you try and change it to uncompressed. This would explain the delay you’re seeing when the line-in should be uncompressed without a delay. We’re working on the issue currently and will be getting it resolved as quickly as possible. 

@Ryan S thank you for the confirmation. Is there a ticket number or some other method we can use to track the status of the update?

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

There are internal numbers that wouldn’t do you any good, but I’ll make sure to update this thread when it’s resolved for you.

@Ryan S thank you. I've confirmed my forum settings email me when there is an update to this thread, so that would be great.

I appreciate the quick response and confirmation of issue.

Hoping for a quick update to correct this issue. Posting to get notified when something is added to the forum.

Userlevel 2

Same issue, was working perfectly until I had a move round of some components and factory reset them. :(

Play 5 gen 2 same issue, was working perfectly until I made a firmware upgrade and factory reset because wifi issue. Wifi adapter see the networks but cannot connect.

I've also tried changing all parameters  - the audio compression settings also - and didn't work either.

No wifi connection, unusable line in delay. :disappointed_relieved:

Is there any possibility of rolling back to a previous firmware while this problem is resolved?  Or perhaps with a URL argument?  I’m having the same issue on several Play:5 (Gen 1) 

Thanks!

IP Address: 192.168.1.116

Same here. I simply moved my WiFi over to a new mesh network to boost my Internet (was just matter of changing WiFi password on Sonos) and since has caused 2-3 second delays on both rooms that I use line in for sound. 

My router is in modem mode (which apparently resolves any Sonos network issues like this) so the fault must be since a recent Sonos update and I can't believe how long its taking them to resolve.

I bought a new projector, extra games console and downloaded a load of playlink games so we could do quizzes with the family over Christmas in the kitchen but not been able to set up sound and make it work without long delays. The bedroom has had a projector and line in set up for years and was fine until this happened.

I have playbar, sub and 2 x surrounds that work fine (optical connection). 

There are people starving in the world so I don't want to make it a big deal! But I've spent a fortune and many, MANY hours trying to resolve it and am annoyed with Sonos. 

Just called them about it and the advisor wasn’t familiar with the issue despite several saying above they have the same issue and Sonos being aware. Ran diagnostics and my system is running great. Just don’t get it. 

He said people were having issues with Playbars syncing in their groups so that’ll be fixed at the next update - but they are NOT working on anything line-in related (so could we be talking months if it’s not on the next update….?)

I even bought a boost to see if that would help and it made no difference. I removed my new wifi system to go back to the old one (when it worked) and made no difference so it’s definitely an issue with Sonos (line-in) products.

I was asked to call back in a few days when their “more technical” team are back. 

He did try to claim they sometimes can’t fix line in issues and I stressed that it’s been working fine for years so needs to be sorted.

Hello,

I have the same issue with my play:5 while using line-in. It has been working perfectly, since i got the speaker for Xmas, and suddenly today there is a 3 second delay. I have it set as “Uncompressed” in line-in settings.

It’s very frustrating, one of the reason for this model was because of the line-in support, and now it can’t be used.

Fingers crossed, it will be sorted asap.

Reference number: 617240788

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

There’s currently an issue that’s being worked on where the line-in settings are stuck and even if the app shows uncompressed, it may well still be stuck as compressed, adding that delay. I’m sorry you didn’t talk to someone who was in the know @Katyc, sometimes during the holidays people can lose track of issues, but that shouldn’t have happened. The team is still working on it and as soon as that issue is resolved I’ll let you all know in here. 

That Playbar issue mentioned isn’t related, and it’s home theater speakers grouped with other devices that could get out of sync if not the main player in the group. Also an issue being investigated. 

Thanks Ryan for the additional update.

For what it's worth, I have "unknown sources" enabled on my Android device, so I can install APK files from places other than the play store. I found an old version of the Sonos APK, and installed it to see if that would rectify the situation.

Unfortunately, the audio compression option is just greyed out, and when you tap on it, it prompts you to update the app:

I guess it's headphones only still for the time being.

Honestly, this is just a minor annoyance for me. But for anyone who is using a Sonos system with line-in in a commercial setting, this could be bad for their business. Hoping for a resolution sooner rather than later!!

@Ryan S Just wondering if you know if there has been any updates on the issue?  10.6.1 was released a couple days ago, but the delay hasn’t been fixed.  Thank you!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

@Ryan S Just wondering if you know if there has been any updates on the issue?  10.6.1 was released a couple days ago, but the delay hasn’t been fixed.  Thank you!!

The issue is still being worked on but the fix wasn’t in 10.6.1. I’ll be sure to let everyone know when that’s included.

Sorry, but this has gone on for 20 days. It needs sorting.

I’m sure the developers are working hard on the issue, but yes, I’m also waiting on the fix.

Thank you very much

Sorry, but this has gone on for 20 days. It needs sorting.

What makes you think the software development cycle is less than 20 days?  I assure you, even using agile development techniques, you cannot research, develop, unit test, QA test, and release in 20 days.  That doesn’t even include current development already in the queue.  

Normally in Agile a Sprint (software cycle) is two weeks and at the end of these two weeks you should have market ready software releases. Otherwise is not Agile. So it is possible and on top is impacting heavily a lot of customers who are using the device for its unique purpose.