Question

SONOS AMP Cannot Connect to Corporate WiFi

• 2 November 2020
  • 3 replies

I am trying to set up a Sonos Amp so that we can connect it to some Legacy speaker system in the waiting room of a healthcare facility.  

We can’t use the Corporate Wi-Fi because of HIPAA, and we can’t use the Guest Wifi because there is a disclaimer that must be accepted.  So I had the network guys create a seperate SSID that uses a cable connection, has no disclaimer, and can be seen from the AMP.  

I connect my Phone to the new SSID, I run through the setup with the AMP, and it fails on the Wi-Fi. 

I have tried it 100 times.  I even took the Sonos home and connected t to my home Wifi to make sure ot worked.  It did.  I have reset this Sonos over and over for weeks.  

Anyone have any ideas? There was a moment when I was able to run through the install and it looked like it was connected, but it dropped connection and never worked again. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

The most likely problem is a WiFi security feature called “station isolation.”  This is veru commonly used on guest wifis or corporate LANs to prevent direct communication between two client devices.  Check with your networking team to see if this is the case.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

What may work is hooking up a travel-router to the main network then hook the Sonos to it. Connect your tablet or phone to the travel router and you’ll be able to control the music. Keep the login for the travel-router private and only the folks with access will be able to control the Sonos.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Speaking as a security guy - don’t do this.  It may technically work, but you won’t make any friends with the security and networking team. 

If you already have support from the networking team, go back to them and explain that it needs to be reachable from clients on the same VLAN.  There are several community posts on advanced networking, even up to putting the Sonos device on a different VLAN and forwarding the necessary protocols, you can point your networking team to posts like https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced-setups-229000/access-sonos-from-a-different-wireless-network-6808767.