Answered

Sonos Amp: Audio from TV over ARC does a skip every 10-15 seconds.

• 2 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi everyone.
Just received my first Sonos Amp which I have connected to my LG C8 OLED TV (on HDMI port 2). The TV registered the connection to the Amp and enabled something called "Simplink".
I also have an Apple TV 4K which I use for everything (connected to HDMI port 1).
I use a pair of ATC speakers.

My problem: everything seems to work except that every 10-15 seconds the sounds does a very brief skip which is very noticeable and frankly super annoying.

The Sonos Amp is updated to newest firmware. I have searched through the Sonos Community to no avail.

What should I do?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 2 August 2022, 16:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

First thing I would do is check the TV for firmware updates, and then make sure the Apple TV was on the latest software as well. While you’ve checked the Sonos, it can only play what it is handed via the HDMI cable, so I’d double check the seating of that cable at both ends, double checking that you’ve used the Sonos supplied, or an HDMI 2.1 high speed cable.

Finally, if none of that makes a difference,I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it, being certain to tell them what source program you’re testing with. 

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

This could be an EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) spat where one end of the HDMI connection is not satisfied and forces a re-negotiation of the sound and picture formats shared between the devices. These are difficult to prove or deal with -- if this is the issue.

At this point we don’t know which box is at fault.

Some things to try:

Make sure that all of the HDMI cables are fully seated in their jacks. The plugs and sockets are not quite what you may be used to. A couple of the pins make contact after the others and these pins are important in the EDID process. If the plugs are not fully seated these pins might be making intermittent contact and forcing re-negotiation(s).

Unless this is a surround system, simplify the audio output format to PCM Stereo on all boxes (AppleTV and TV)

Rebooting all of the boxes is standard fare. In most cases a simple power removal will initiate the reboot. SAMSUNG TV’s will not reboot at this time. Keep the power removed for at least two minutes.

I’m not confident that any of the above will be the “magic bullet”, but they are easy to try.

The diagnostics will have some data to share.