Answered

Sonos Amp and Sonos Move Grouping

• 5 August 2022
  • 7 replies

I own a Sonos Move and have just purchased a Sonos Amp. I do not have any passive speakers setup with the Amp and these are the only 2 Sonos devices I have. I have the Sonos Amp successfully connected to my TV via HDMI ARC and I want to listen to the audio through the Move. As I understand, I need to group the devices but on the Sonos App, “Groups” is greyed out and says “This feature is available on systems with three or more rooms”.

How do I get the TV audio to come out the Move in this setup?

icon

Best answer by LouieO 5 August 2022, 10:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Isn’t that  “Group All” that’s greyed out? Since you only have 2 rooms you simply select the other one to group with the current one. 

If you will excuse my saying so, this seems a very strange arrangement.  The amp in the Sonos Amp isn’t used, and by grouping Moves instead of using passive speakers you introduce an audio lag, which will probably cause lip sync issues.  Can you explain the thinking behind this setup?

Ok, yes I see this now and have them both grouped, but still no sound coming from the Move. There are no passive speakers set up but this should still be possible to send via the Move right?

Hi John, I bought the Sonos Amp to use for both my turntable and TV but I don’t have my turntable or passive speakers here yet, so wanted to try watching TV with better quality sound via the Move rather than it’s inbuilt speakers. I bought the Amp rather than the Port because it has HDMI ARC and I was of the understanding this will handle syncing sufficiently. Do passive speakers need to be plugged into the Amp in order to also send via the Move? This would be strange if so.

Userlevel 7

Ok, yes I see this now and have them both grouped, but still no sound coming from the Move. There are no passive speakers set up but this should still be possible to send via the Move right?

Under the Amp settings, try enabling TV Autoplay. Then group the Move with the Amp.

I changed the HDMI port on the TV and it now works! Thanks all :)

As you are going to be getting a turntable and passive speakers your choice of the Amp makes perfect sense.